My first tarantula...Goliath bird eater.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Theraphosa sp. don't tend to web a great deal.... Also it was an assumption based on the tarantulas appearance....

Maybe the guy at the PS new fully of the gender of the tarantula and upon talking to the OP heard his fears of not wanting a male so decided to say that the tarantula in question was female anyway to lure sale taking into account how far the OP had traveled to pick up the said tarantula (you don't work for PetCo do you?)

This has been mentioned a few times on previous pages....

Obviously.....:rolleyes:

Firstly everyone falls into the bracket of people are just people, you included. The OP came here for advice from people who keep this species. And to be honest it sounds like your knowledge on the Theraphosa genus leaves much to be desired.....
I was under the impression that all tarantulas web the ground, but I could be wrong.

Thats a big maybe that the guy at the pet store knew that. A lot of the things you said were big maybes.

I don't see what my knowledge on any genus has to do with what I said. I could be wrong on this too, but I'm fairly sure the only direct advise I gave him was I wouldn't keep a tarantula that size in a 10g. Really though it sounds like your general knowledge of the Theraphosa genus isn't all that great either.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm a bit confused as while people are jumping to MM because it was wandering. The last time I checked Tarantulas lay web like other spiders, and tend to lay webbing in their new enclosures. Now if he has had it for 2 months, and all of a sudden it was wandering more then normal and tapping, then I could understand people saying "oh its probably a MM".

Why is everyone wanting to jump this guy at the pet store. Maybe we should call and quiz every pet store that sells tarantulas. I would hate for some 17 year old trying to get gas money to feel left, because a bunch of people didn't call and yell at him at work. Most of the time the people who work at pet stores are no different then the ones buying from them. The owners, and the ones writing the "care pamphlets" are the ones they get their information from.

For sexing no one here can tell you its a male with out a good ventral shot. You can always go look at the sexing threads, and try to do it yourself if she wont be still long enough for you to take a pic. Just keep calling her "her" till you find out otherwise.;)

I wouldn't keep her in a 10g personally, but she could live in that. If you can try to get a 20g, or put her in the 40g you have. If something lived in the 40g before make sure you disinfect it before adding your new T.

You did good coming here for info, but remember people are people. Just because someone here has 1000 post, or even has 100 tarantulas it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. The best way to learn is through experience. Try to take in the information that seems to repeat itself about the care, and then the rest is experience. Just always remember to enjoy her, and do your best. Good luck with your new T.
I think you are coming a bit strong here.
I never jumped into any MM wagon,neither I said anything about calling anyone... so "everyone"actually is not accurate.

About the comment on the "100 spiders.." Well, If someone have kept many, and I mean MANY tarantulas from the same genus and has many years of experiecne, chances are the person can tell a newby a couple of things regarding the specie in question.

What I mean is...Well, no one set the posts on stone, so he can choose his recommendations wisely.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think you are coming a bit strong here.
I never jumped into any MM wagon,neither I said anything about calling anyone... so "everyone"actually is not accurate.

About the comment on the "100 spiders.." Well, If someone have kept many, and I mean MANY tarantulas from the same genus and has many years of experiecne, chances are the person can tell a newby a couple of things regarding the specie in question.

What I mean is...Well, no one set the posts on stone, so he can choose his recommendations wisely.
If you weren't one of the ones saying it then I wasn't directing the comment towards you. You know as well as I do that there are people who get a G. gosea, and then 8 months later they have 30+ tarantulas, and act like experts.

I simply based this on the fact that your only advice to the OP was that it looked leggy, and the substrate you keep yours on. You honestly have no clue what my past experience with any genus could be, just like I don't know yours. You made a statement about my knowledge based on one post you have read by me.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I simply based this on the fact that your only advice to the OP was that it looked leggy, and the substrate you keep yours on. You honestly have no clue what my past experience with any genus could be, just like I don't know yours. You made a statement about my knowledge based on one post you have read by me.
Exactly, but I'd like to think I know my beans when it comes to Theraphosa sp. seen as though I keep two, of course you being the one that thinks every genus of tarantula webs a lot.....

Steep learning curve ahead!!!

:)

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Exactly, but I'd like to think I know my beans when it comes to Theraphosa sp. seen as though I keep two, of course you being the one that thinks every genus of tarantula webs a lot.....

Steep learning curve ahead!!!

:)
Please show me where I said every genus webs a lot, and define a lot. I said that all tarantulas web. Regardless of how much it webs it will walk around to set up lines in its new habitat to help navigate around.

So next time you post something "I said" please quote it.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Please show me where I said every genus webs a lot, and define a lot. I said that all tarantulas web. Regardless of how much it webs it will walk around to set up lines in its new habitat to help navigate around.

So next time you post something "I said" please quote it.
Okie dokie.

Just seems you thought the Theraphosa as a genus tends to web a lot, when they don't.....

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Look at the pic and then read the posts properly! you will note the op refures to the pedipulps as 'extra silk things" I never said there is no Epiandrous fusillae! i clearly stated that its not a mm!
and i clearly said nothing abut it being mature only he may have saw Epiandrous fusillae its clear he did not see any palps, I suggest you re read it!

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry didn't think anyone posted on this thread anymore. I'll get a ventral shot soon. Also I got a pink zebra beauty. Is it possible for a tarantula to switch to non nocturnal because the last few days she is active by day and in her hide by night.

jeryst

Arachnopeon
My first T was a Goliath as well. Raise it from a sling to a huge mature male.

I kept mine in a 10g tank. I put natural aquarium pebbles in the bottom, then several inches of coconut fiber on top of that. Half a clay pot for a hide. I left a hole in one corner with the pebbles showing. I would pour water into the hole, to put a layer of water underneath the substrate. It kept the humidity very high without making the coconut fiber too moist. Never had a problem with mold, and the humidity was always high. Kept one of those pad heaters on the side of the tank to keep the temp up. Misted one side of the glass every day. My T grew like crazy and seemed to molt every couple months.

One thing to note. In all the time I had him, I never handled him, because he was extremely fast, and very aggressive. But he was a great display T. Never hid. Always came out in the day. About once a week, he would clean up his cage by gathering up all of the refuse into a web ball and depositing it in the corner. All I ever had to do was take the ball out with a pair of tweezers. I just got a Chaco a couple months ago because I wanted one I could handle, but I will be getting another Goliath soon.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How can I spot the epidandria fusili sorry for the spelling. If you could show some pics that'd be great.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The internet scars me. I keep hearing that most goliaths only live a couple years in captivity at the very most. What are the odds that I will be able to keep mine longer than that?

Twillis10

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ive never owned one personally so cant say. but I would guess they dont live because they arent taken care of properly. the care is more difficult than most, but nothing to hard if you make sure and do it right.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am almost positive I see an epiadandriouse fussilea. Gotta post some pics. Isn't it a black triangle with a cut down the middle?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So disapointed it could be male if it is I'd have to mate for sure so it wouldn't be a total waste.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Not as aggressive as I portrayed them in my mind

not trying to be picky but just trying to close a door before it opens the correct way to say would be defensive and its not that big of a deal but some people on here make a big deal and then they get really off topic and well get mean but hey man good luck with the T. blondi and yea forget putting the toe in the water you cannonballed right in :p

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definite male, that dark triangle is pretty obvious. Good luck breeding! :)

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can't mate him. If you can tell me were I can find a mature female I would be most appreciative.