MY First Tarantula ever =]

nspeissegger

Arachnopeon
Yeahh my family actually let me have a tarantula afte 2 years of argueing abiut it lol
I don't know that much about tarantulas but i'm learning fast and wanna take care of it the best i can
The guy at the pet shop told me that i should use cotton on the water dish...now i know its not the best thing to do and he told me its a G. rosea..now i dont belive anything he says so heres a pic...it is a G. rosea right? lol

i dont know if he sold me the right soil..u can look at it in the picture xD
i gave him 3 crickets yesterday..he ate 2 almost instantly and one of them died but the T didnt eat it...hm? =p the guy at the soter told me to give him 3-4 crickets every 3 days but i guess i should give him like 2 every 3days dunno about that :S

Last edited:

Zelli

Arachnopeon
Congrats!
Looks like a rosie. What kind of shaving are you using as the substrate? I'd only feed maybe 1 or 2 crickets a week.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to AB!!

1. Yes, you have a rosea. :D (I have 3.) It looks to be in pre-molt, as the bare patch on the abdomen looks a bit dark, not a fleshy pink. Pretty sure I'm not just seeing the heart shadow.

2. Wood chips are not the best choice of substrate. The preferred is 100% peat. I got a bag of sphagum peat at Home Depot just today to re-house one of my kids. It should say "100% peat" on the bag. NOTHING else. Another much used strate is coco fiber. Some of us here will mix the two.

Rosea like a dry strate, so misting is not necessary. A water dish will provide the humidity she needs, and she will get additional fluids from her food.

There is a care sheet for roseas here on the boards. Take the time to read it, since it will educate you quite a bit about roseas. I have read it several times. This is it; http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

3. NO cotton balls. They are a bacteria breeding ground! If you want to put something in the water dish, plain clean stones are great. So are those jewel toned decorative stones from the craft stores if you want a bit of color.

4. She seems to be fairly full grown, so 1-2 cricket/week is all the more you really need to feed her. Some ppl only do 1-2/month. The pet store was all wrong on this, so just ignore what they said.

I hope you really enjoy your new kiddo! Again, welcome to AB. :D

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on your new T! and welcome aboard!

Be very careful using wood chips or bark of any kind. Many of them contain volatile oils that are toxic to invertebrates.

And as Penny'smom said read the on rosies and the beginners info found here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40987 as there is a ton of good info both places.

Once again, welcome and enjoy your new T.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with everything that has already been said, so no need to repeat it. Welcome to the boards and congrats on a beautiful T!!!
I will say one other thing, yes, it looks as if your little one there could use a moult, but rosies do nothing fast, so it could be up to another year before it happens. In other words, don't hold your breath!!!

nspeissegger

Arachnopeon
thanks for the help =]
i had already seen those threads..and read them fast
will read them again thx again...and 1 more question..sry if its off topic: why does it say i have made 2 posts when ive posted a lot more than that (3 posts only on this topic) lol?

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Alright, Big time congrats. Now just go out and get a few more. Welcome to the addiction.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for the help =]
i had already seen those threads..and read them fast
will read them again thx again...and 1 more question..sry if its off topic: why does it say i have made 2 posts when ive posted a lot more than that (3 posts only on this topic) lol?
Welcome!!!:)

This is a question I'd love to know too.:? Maybe someone will answer it for both of us~ I joined in September with 1 T and now I have 8! I have a rosie too. Sounds like you are learning fast.

Have fun!!!!!!{D {D {D

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome!!!:)

This is a question I'd love to know too.:? Maybe someone will answer it for both of us~ I joined in September with 1 T and now I have 8! I have a rosie too. Sounds like you are learning fast.

Have fun!!!!!!{D {D {D
I was told that posts in some forums don't add to your count. For instance, I don't think posting in Announcements gets added to your count. :)

nspeissegger

Arachnopeon
gonna give her like 2 crickets a week then maybe less
i threw one inside this morning and the T wouldnt move until the cricket was close to her...then she would kinda get frightened or smth when it touched her legs and she would move...shw keeps rubbing her pedipalps and when the cricket is infont of her she seems like shes gonna attack..then the cricket realizes the T uis infront of him and turns around fast and runs lol