My first tarantula, a Grammostola Pulchara (I have a few questions)

Kadence

Arachnopeon
So my first tarantula ever is going to be a grammostola pulchara, she should be here Tuesday so hopefully I remember to update this.

Question 1: I'm concerned about is the price I'm paying, I know g.pulcharas are something alot of people like and they can go for good money, I'm paying 65$ including shipping (same state overnighted) for her(idk the sex but her for now) from a seller in a Facebook group, so she confirmed she has a lag and her terms are reasonable and similar to websites that sell T's, so i asked how much was shipping so I know how much I'm paying for the spider and how mu h I'm paying for shipping incase of a refund, and I'm paying 26.44 for the sling, and I just feel like it's cheap for a brazillian black and I hate to even question it because the girl has answered all my questions and has been amazing the whole time, am I worried for nothing?

Question 2: any advice for a first time tarantula owner and specifically any advice for slings?

Question 3: Do I use a paint brush to encourage it to move like I would for an adult T? received_672537417031960.jpeg 20201016_173009.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Question one: I'm concerned about is the price I'm paying, I know g.pulcharas are something alot of people like and they can go for good money, I'm paying 65$ including shipping (same state overnighted)
If that is indeed true G. pulchara, then it is a steal price if you tell me.

Kadence

Arachnopeon
If that is indeed true G. pulchara, then it is a steal price if you tell me.
I'm worried it could be a scam but she's sent me photos, showed me her collection, gotten my address, has a lag, has several slings from breeding projects, has answered every question of mine and has been eager to help me out, we're still in contact so wouldn't she have blocked me if it was a scam?

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Most Facebook groups ate pretty aggressive about weeding out scammers. I wouldn't worry too much. 25$ is a great price for a G. pulchra, and it's normal for shipping to be that expensive. The pics look good, and it's a bigger sling, which is really nice for a first T!

I'm assuming you know the basics: small enclosure, dirt to dig in, bottle cap water dish, and some kind of cover, like moss or faux leaves. My main advice to to do all your unboxing and maintenance with the enclosure inside of a larger tub! Have appropriately sized cups available to use as catch cups. I have a special tiny paintbrush to use for slings, and larger ones for adults. I'd also recommend watching some unboxings and rehousings on youtube so you know what to expect as far as packaging and how to move the spider from one enclosure to another. I like Tom Moran or Tarantula Kat, they're fun to watch and Tom in particular is very knowledgeable. Best of luck with your first tarantula!

Kadence

Arachnopeon
Most Facebook groups ate pretty aggressive about weeding out scammers. I wouldn't worry too much. 25$ is a great price for a G. pulchra, and it's normal for shipping to be that expensive. The pics look good, and it's a bigger sling, which is really nice for a first T!

I'm assuming you know the basics: small enclosure, dirt to dig in, bottle cap water dish, and some kind of cover, like moss or faux leaves. My main advice to to do all your unboxing and maintenance with the enclosure inside of a larger tub! Have appropriately sized cups available to use as catch cups. I have a special tiny paintbrush to use for slings, and larger ones for adults. I'd also recommend watching some unboxings and rehousings on youtube so you know what to expect as far as packaging and how to move the spider from one enclosure to another. I like Tom Moran or Tarantula Kat, they're fun to watch and Tom in particular is very knowledgeable. Best of luck with your first tarantula!
Thank you for the advice, I've watched tons of unboxings and I watch tarantula kat almost everyday, I've been researching T's since I was like 10 and now I'm 15 lol
(mom finally caved)

So my first tarantula ever is going to be a grammostola pulchara, she should be here Tuesday so hopefully I remember to update this.

Question 1: I'm concerned about is the price I'm paying, I know g.pulcharas are something alot of people like and they can go for good money, I'm paying 65$ including shipping (same state overnighted) for her(idk the sex but her for now) from a seller in a Facebook group, so she confirmed she has a lag and her terms are reasonable and similar to websites that sell T's, so i asked how much was shipping so I know how much I'm paying for the spider and how mu h I'm paying for shipping incase of a refund, and I'm paying 26.44 for the sling, and I just feel like it's cheap for a brazillian black and I hate to even question it because the girl has answered all my questions and has been amazing the whole time, am I worried for nothing?

Question 2: any advice for a first time tarantula owner and specifically any advice for slings?

Question 3: Do I use a paint brush to encourage it to move like I would for an adult T? View attachment 363191 View attachment 363192
Update:
She molted unexpectedly so she won't be arriving tuesday, instead she'll be shipped on the 26th, the seller offered to refund my money until she was ready to be shipped or if I wanted to choose another sling or changed my mind she understand, ofc I said it was fine, I've already named her and made her my pfp, I could wait on her forever I'm so in love and I've never met her, I'm hoping she has good naps while she gets her strength back. received_347910983185180.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitara

Arachnodemon
All three of mine at that size were $85 before shipping. So yeah, you got a steal!