My "first" T...

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
...at least according to my bank statement.

Here she is!
20200602_121827_HDR.jpg 20200602_121813_HDR.jpg 20200602_121827_HDR.jpg 20200602_122755.jpg
A sweet little versicolor sling my daughter has named "Blueberry Nova." She arrived this morning via overnight delivery from "Fear Not Tarantulas," in a small tube ensconced in some type of cause/tissue. Upon opening, she emerged confidently, & took to her container as though it was home all along.

Definitely a world of difference between this little one's movements, & the metallica's, but I'm already in love with the both of them, LoL.

Thanks for looking :)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer

Here she is!
View attachment 347191 View attachment 347192 View attachment 347191 View attachment 347193
A sweet little versicolor sling my daughter has named "Blueberry Nova." She arrived this morning via overnight delivery from "Fear Not Tarantulas," in a small tube ensconced in some type of cause/tissue. Upon opening, she emerged confidently, & took to her container as though it was home all along.

Definitely a world of difference between this little one's movements, & the metallica's, but I'm already in love with the both of them, LoL.

The holes in your cup are big enough that the tarantula can likely escape.

Nice tarantula :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Here she is!
View attachment 347191 View attachment 347192 View attachment 347191 View attachment 347193

Ohhh how cute! But yes. I am also thinking about the holes. If the tarantula is tiny it can escape. Put tape over the largest holes and make smaller ones. Or rehouse the tarantula

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Here she is!

You have an escape waiting to happen, good luck

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
The holes in your cup are big enough that the tarantula can likely escape.

Nice tarantula :)
Ohhh how cute! But yes. I am also thinking about the holes. If the tarantula is tiny it can escape. Put tape over the largest holes and make smaller ones. Or rehouse the tarantula
You have an escape waiting to happen, good luck
20200602_140825.jpg
So she can weasel her way out of those, eh? Would halving them with tape suffice so not to stress her, or should I just put her in something else altogether?

Thank you..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
View attachment 347203
So she can weasel her way out of those, eh? Would halving them with tape suffice so not to stress her, or should I just put her in something else altogether?

Thank you..

You're are in best position to tell us as you have the T. You tell us. We will let you decide if your T is going back to the mother country or not.

Stress is too much of a concern in the exotics world IME. They live a cushy life style! Do it the right way, or don't do it at all ;)

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
View attachment 347203

Thank you..
To my eyes, from the pictures, yes I think it can get out of those holes if it tries.

I would go with something different altogether. I had a tarantula get its leg stuck on tape. Wasn't fun trying to get it off...

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
You're are in best position to tell us as you have the T. You tell us. We will let you decide if your T is going back to the mother country or not.

Stress is too much of a concern in the exotics world IME. They live a cushy life style! Do it the right way, or don't do it at all ;)
My initial thought is that no, the holes are NOT too large, as I believe her cephalothorax -much less her abdomen- wouldn't be able to fit through. But I ALSO know that you guys know better than I do, & that you like a lot of pictures from which to render judgement...so I posted a much clearer side-by-side for your consideration. Thanks for your help anyways, I'm sure you'll see how it turns out.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
To my eyes, from the pictures, yes I think it can get out of those holes if it tries.

I would go with something different altogether. I had a tarantula get its leg stuck on tape. Wasn't fun trying to get it off...
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I'm swapping her out right now, as it's not worth the risk.

Thank you kindly, friend!

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
My initial thought is that no, the holes are NOT too large, as I believe her cephalothorax -much less her abdomen- wouldn't be able to fit through. But I ALSO know that you guys know better than I do, & that you like a lot of pictures from which to render judgement...so I posted a much clearer side-by-side for your consideration. Thanks for your help anyways, I'm sure you'll see how it turns out.
I saw the new picture. I would still rehouse it. Even if it can't get OUT it could still try, and end up stuck/injured.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Here we go...
20200602_151323.jpg
...the push I used for these fit in the previous container's holes with room to spare. I'm thinking this did the trick, but value your opinions.

Thank you !

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Just seems like a massive container for a sling altogether. I just three and put them in old shipping vial. In two hours they've all webbed little hammocks
You can buy these little vials at any hobby/craft store
I'm having a hard time getting stuff from brick & mortars at the moment, as I'm in NY, & things are opening in "phases," but I'm sure I can figure something out. When I first pitched my plan, I was told to go small....one guy did use vials like yours, but it seemed as though the deli cup route was suggested. She certainty makes it look huge though, doesn't she? If I have to swap her out again, I happily will, but I'd like to see how she does first.

Thank you!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Here we go...
View attachment 347208
...the push I used for these fit in the previous container's holes with room to spare. I'm thinking this did the trick, but value your opinions.

Thank you !
to be honest those holes may still be a little bit too big, ive had some small avics and a very small versicolor and they have very a small cephalothorax or carapce what ever term you want to use, it might be annoying to remake an enclosure but do not underestimate a spiders escape artist abilities. the safer the better but it is up to you, what you decide to do.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
to be honest those holes may still be a little bit too big, ive had some small avics and a very small versicolor and they have very a small cephalothorax or carapce what ever term you want to use, it might be annoying to remake an enclosure but do not underestimate a spiders escape artist abilities. the safer the better but it is up to you, what you decide to do.
I'll re-home the thing a thousand times over, if it's in her best interest. I see a lot of folks using those vials. I have one that is probably too small, but...you should see the tube she came in, LoL. Maybe I'll put her in that, but I question the air flow, & I think I'd break it if I tried adding more holes...
20200602_164256_HDR.jpg 20200602_164301.jpg
What say you?

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
To be honest, I like the vial thing too, I'm just at a loss as to where to source them from. At the same time though, I've always strived to give my animals palatial accomodations, & while I understand that that's NOT best for them, part of me still likes the idea of housing them at the larger end of what's best...even if it's ultimately a vial. If she'll do just as well in either, personally, I'd stick to the deli cup. But at the same time I'm not going to let her suffer for my preference.
. 20200602_164325.jpg
Another pic of her in her leaf, for perspective.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My initial thought is that no, the holes are NOT too large, as I believe her cephalothorax -much less her abdomen- wouldn't be able to fit through.
All you have to do is measure the carapace. There's a great video on StupidTube of a hamori escaping (adult) and you would think the abdomen is the rate limiting step for an escape. It isn't, it's the carapace. The video I mention shows a big abdomen getting compressed quite a bit for an escape. Visually you wouldn't think so. In short, abdomen size don't pay attention.

Container type for sling Avics for ME- I love Thorton vials. Others hate them.

Sure you will do fine w/the versi