My First T!!!!

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good idea. We used a plastic container and burrowed it for her and she seems to like it. Do they need a smaller burrow, that they kind of squeeze into? What we used is round and about 2.5 inches across.
I think that the opportunistic burowers, IE, aphonopelma, brachypelma and the like, who find burrows in the wild tend to use larger burrows, instead of a tarantula that just excavates one from scratch.
In your case, an aphonopelma chalcodes, I believe will actually make a burrow, or use one, what you might do, without getting too crazy is to put one 2" ID pipe at like a 45 degree angle so she can find it, and then put another one horizontal, sort of inline, and then she may excavate from there, or if you cant be bothered just use one at a slight angle from vertical, but I'd use about 2" inside diameter size, I wouldn't go smaller than that for that size of tarantula.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I find an easy way to increase sub height without using stupid amount of sub. Put some cork bark or wood, or something glued(or firm sitting enough on the bottom to be unable to be moved) then you can pour the sub ontop and it will take up some space, leaving you with a bit of extra sub left over but a higher level in the enclosure. If you did that, just make sure whatever is on the bottom, cannot be moved whatsoever.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I find an easy way to increase sub height without using stupid amount of sub. Put some cork bark or wood, or something glued(or firm sitting enough on the bottom to be unable to be moved) then you can pour the sub ontop and it will take up some space, leaving you with a bit of extra sub left over but a higher level in the enclosure. If you did that, just make sure whatever is on the bottom, cannot be moved whatsoever.
Empty tupperware containers with the lids on or other plastic boxes that are sturdy enough to have a few inches of coco fiber on top without collapsing are excellent for this, especially in keeping the weight down, as there's a lot of air in there, and the container itself is very light.

socalqueen

Arachnoknight
That's a great idea! I would have to use a lot of sub to a high enough level so I most definitely would try this.