My first T.'s enclosure

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I'd like for you all to critique the enclosure I just set up for my B. smithi, who's coming in on either Thursday or Friday.

My female B. smithi is 3" long with a 2.5" legspan. There's a space of about 3 1/4" at the top of the enclosure, which is a 10-gallon reptile terrarium. The substrate is peat moss, and there are some rocks underground in the substrate, just to kind of make it more natural (you can see one of the underground rocks on the right side in the last photos). The shelter is pure wood (not cedar), the grass outside it is fake, and the cactus-water dish is fake, un-prickly, and very safe. I made sure to cover the wall on the other end of the shelter with substrate so that it's more of a cave and she wont feel exposed to the outer wall. The enclosure is supposed to simulate a Mexican environment, so tell me if it looks like it. :) I might add another artificial plant later.

And another question: I took the tank outside to fill it with the substrate, and while being outside, the whole terrarium became icy cold from the temperature outside. How long will it take for it to become room temperature? Should I get a heating pad, because the temperature in my house is set at about 67-68F.

thwarts

Arachnopeon
Looks alright to me!! I use a heat mat because I live in chilly UK and room temp is around the same and i have no probs. the tank should be room temp by the time it arrives. Have fun!!!!:D

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It shouldn't take the surface long to warm up. It should all be pretty close to room temp by morning at most.

I must say. It looks like you did a real good job and thought of everything. Very nice setup. I like the hide back there in the corner, nice and cozy. When are you going to put your T in?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Thanks. ^^ I'll just put her in there the day she arrives, either Thursday or Friday. I want her to get used to it quickly so I can start to feed her.

Here's the lucky girl:

Tarantula Newb

Arachnopeon
just a thought. Split it down the middle and get another T. Lol. thats just how I think. By the way a 10 gallon tank has pleny of room for 2.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yea i agree with Tarantula Newb.
I gotta admit the setup is very nice!..
the level of the dry substrate, a nice shelter..
your waterdish how shallow is it?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
just a thought. Split it down the middle and get another T. Lol. thats just how I think. By the way a 10 gallon tank has pleny of room for 2.
My parents will only let me get one. :eek: That's why I'm spoiling her with the 10-gallon. I'm trying to fill it up as much as I can with shelters and stuff so that it doesn't feel too large for her. Might go get a couple more plants to put in there later this week... Also, there weren't any smaller terrariums at the petstore.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
yea i agree with Tarantula Newb.
I gotta admit the setup is very nice!..
the level of the dry substrate, a nice shelter..
your waterdish how shallow is it?
The waterdish piece consists of two dishes, if you look you can see em both connected to the fake cactus and rocks. The smaller dish is 1/2" deep and the larger one is 1" deep, and the larger dish is about 3" long and 2" wide.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great setup for great looking Smithi, best wishes with her and I hope she settles in very fast and enjoys the wonderful home and treatment you'll give her. :clap:

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Thanks! Hopefully she'll be glad to know she's the only T and will get waaay too much attention. :p

Last edited:

Cmendel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have fun with your first T, she looks good. Also looks like she is going to be molting soon.. I could be wrong, eitherway you're in for a good experience. :D

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Have fun with your first T, she looks good. Also looks like she is going to be molting soon.. I could be wrong, eitherway you're in for a good experience. :D
I sure hope so, that way I'll be able to scare my brother with the skin! {D

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's a really nice and secure setup - i just wish more beginners would get enough information to get their ts appropriate tanks :clap:.

the 10 gallons is not a problem for a t that size, spoil her all you like ;). i wouldn't put in more plants, though. that only means lots of places for crickets to hide, and thus lots of chirping at night. believe me, you'll only think them romantic for about 5 minutes, then they'll drive you nuts!

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a good set up :clap: for a red knee as i am in the u.k. ( god save the queen ) i have to use a heat mat :worship: good luck with her -- phil ;)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
it's a really nice and secure setup - i just wish more beginners would get enough information to get their ts appropriate tanks :clap:.

the 10 gallons is not a problem for a t that size, spoil her all you like ;). i wouldn't put in more plants, though. that only means lots of places for crickets to hide, and thus lots of chirping at night. believe me, you'll only think them romantic for about 5 minutes, then they'll drive you nuts!
Good point. That'd be terrible, seeing as I'm putting the tank in my bedroom. xP