My First T Purchased!

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
I am not new to this forum but this is the first time I have posted I believe. I have been a member for probably over a year. But for the last 3 years I have had plans to purchase a T. I have researched and planned and researched again... gone thru multiple species (rosea, mexican red knee, curly hair) but finally landed on Euathlus Species Red.

For the past 2 years I have been checking every now and then on websites, searching for an adult T but having no luck. Especially with the ban on exporting them. So today I decided to go ahead and purchase a sling. I was against it at first since... I have never had a T before, let alone a baby T and... I have a huge fear of spiders. I felt taking care of a small tiny one would be harder than a big one where I can always see where it is... usually. But I finally just bit the bullet and purchased it after researching again about slings and getting a good understanding about how to house and feed them. So.. here goes... waiting on it's arrival from netbug.com and ready to face my fears and watch this baby grow into a beautiful T that I love and adore.

No idea what I will name it... gonna have to be a gender neutral name of course. I usually don't have a name in mind for anything until I see it.

Opaga574

Arachnopeon
I just bought a Euathlus sp. Sling from net bug as well! First time T owner as well

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
congratulations! welcome!
did you need any advice?
Even though I am sure I have researched the HELL out of slings and the species I chose... I can always use more advice! So of course, if there are tips on ANYTHING... feel free!!! I'm a newbie.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I just bought myself a female! I pretty much had to because of how notoriously sweet and gorgeous they are. Make sure you share pics. :smug:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Even though I am sure I have researched the HELL out of slings and the species I chose... I can always use more advice! So of course, if there are tips on ANYTHING... feel free!!! I'm a newbie.
well, a pic of the cage could help. how big is it btw? they grow really slow, so it'll take awhile to reach adulthood.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
well, a pic of the cage could help. how big is it btw? they grow really slow, so it'll take awhile to reach adulthood.
I was going to purchase a sling cage from Jamie's Tarantulas, but anastasia from netbug (where I bought the sling) stated I shouldnt because it would be too big for the sling. She said I can use the vial that will be in the package as well, i can use that for house the sling. Once it gets big enough then I plan to use Jamie's cages.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I was going to purchase a sling cage from Jamie's Tarantulas, but anastasia from netbug (where I bought the sling) stated I shouldnt because it would be too big for the sling. She said I can use the vial that will be in the package as well, i can use that for house the sling. Once it gets big enough then I plan to use Jamie's cages.
yeah, a small vial will be fine for a 1/3". IMO jamies cages are overpriced and not any better than a 16oz deli cup with some holes in it. i dont think i would ever bother buying one of jamies cages.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a bit over 1/3" legspan
Let the E. sp. Red world domination continue!!!!!

Condiment cups will serve you right at its current size as well. This locality prefers IME to eat prey items that are smaller than most Ts its size, even as adults. So at 1/3" this may be challenging. You can go with pinhead crickets, or scavenge feed with a mashed up 1/4" cricket/leg, OR diced up mealworms.

They may often take a considerable amount of time in stalking their prey. I would feed yours as often as it will eat to keep up its abdominal size and growth rate.

Males can mature in about 1.5-2 yrs.

Hopefully at some point it will look like my adult female below.

Last edited:

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
Let the E. sp. Red world domination continue!!!!!

Condiment cups will serve you right at its current size as well. This locality prefers IME to eat prey items that are smaller than most Ts its size, even as adults. So at 1/3" this may be challenging. You can go with pinhead crickets, or scavenge feed with a mashed up 1/4" cricket/leg, OR diced up mealworms.

They may often take a considerable amount of time in stalking their prey. I would feed yours as often as it will eat to keep up its abdominal size and growth rate.

Hopefully at some point it will look like one of mine

what's funny is as I was going down the list of post and came across the huge photo of your T, I jumped! lol.. still working on that fear of mine... but it's beautiful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what's funny is as I was going down the list of post and came across the huge photo of your T, I jumped! lol.. still working on that fear of mine... but it's beautiful.
They are dwarfs with a big presence in the hobby!

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
They are dwarfs with a big presence in the hobby!
I believe it! They are becoming known as the almost the best beginner T over the G.rosea. Good thing I found out about the euathlus before I bought the g.rosea or the b.smithi.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
yeah, a small vial will be fine for a 1/3". IMO jamies cages are overpriced and not any better than a 16oz deli cup with some holes in it. i dont think i would ever bother buying one of jamies cages.
They are up there in price, but they look so nice though. I don't know if this will be my only T (if not I don't plan to have more than 2 or 3 Ts) if this ends up being my only T, I would like a very nice display cage and I have not seen any better than hers.

babyjtwizt

Arachnopeon
I just bought myself a female! I pretty much had to because of how notoriously sweet and gorgeous they are. Make sure you share pics. :smug:
As soon as I get it (tomorrow) I will share pictures and possibly do a video and post it on my youtube page.

cold blood

Staff member
I believe it! They are becoming known as the almost the best beginner T over the G.rosea. Good thing I found out about the euathlus before I bought the g.rosea or the b.smithi.
Rosea is not a good beginner...however, B. smithi is a great beginner t without a doubt. IMO the best is T. cyaneolum though....just so darn calm.

You did make one of the best choices though, your research did not let you down.