My first T - Lasiodora parahybana

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
I love this thread. As an "about to be" first time T-owner, it's cool to see another who asked good questions and responded promptly to suggestions. A great read! Thanks for showing how it should be done... and the dangerous potential for budding arachno-addiction ;)

Marija Takac

Arachnopeon
I love this thread. As an "about to be" first time T-owner, it's cool to see another who asked good questions and responded promptly to suggestions. A great read! Thanks for showing how it should be done... and the dangerous potential for budding arachno-addiction ;)
Thanks for all the compliments, I'm glad you found some useful stuff here. Also congrats on thinking about getting a T :)
I wished for one for years now and finally managed to talk my fiance into getting one and guess what, he adores them now.
Which species are you thinking of getting?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yep, they are a good choice. I think they are a much better first spider that the oft-suggested G. rosea, and I think most here would agree with me. I'm not slamming G. rosea, but it has been kind of established that a big part of their suitability for first-timers is their hardiness. I've had several, and I am much fonder of the group of other species I have now, although I had a personal attachment to the last rosea I had. it was my first female T, and I fondly remember the circumstances at the time of purchase. So I was sorry when it died 12 or 13 years later.

But G. pulchripes are less moody, and so far at least in my pulchripe's case, less prone to fast so I do (and think I will continue to) get more enjoyment from it than I did the rosea.

Marija Takac

Arachnopeon
Yep, they are a good choice. I think they are a much better first spider that the oft-suggested G. rosea, and I think most here would agree with me. I'm not slamming G. rosea, but it has been kind of established that a big part of their suitability for first-timers is their hardiness. I've had several, and I am much fonder of the group of other species I have now, although I had a personal attachment to the last rosea I had. it was my first female T, and I fondly remember the circumstances at the time of purchase. So I was sorry when it died 12 or 13 years later.

But G. pulchripes are less moody, and so far at least in my pulchripe's case, less prone to fast so I do (and think I will continue to) get more enjoyment from it than I did the rosea.
G rosea is as I see a common pet store tarantula but they never interested me much. So sorry to hear your rosea died :(
I have that kind of attachment with my parahybana.
Looking forward to see the colors of g pulchripes when she molts soon. I think this is the molt where she gets her lovely yellow knees :)