My first T (Lasiodora Parahybana). Do y'all have any tips, anything to look out for, any stories y'all might wanna share?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Can you post a picture of the entire enclosure? It looks like it is WAY too big for your tarantula

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I wouldn't expect the cardboard piece to last long.

Personally, I would rehouse into a smaller container, ditch the moss (unneeded, but not really going to be harmful) and the sticks (the sticks are likely pointy and could pose a fall/impale risk)

Charybids

Arachnopeon
I removed all the pointy objects those branches are smooth, like... Weirdly smooth and flexible so I checked on that also, Imma dial down on the moss :>
I'm also pretty sure T is about to molt, considering the T had gotten darker, T started to burrow more often and would refuse to eat.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I removed all the pointy objects those branches are smooth, like... Weirdly smooth and flexible so I checked on that also, Imma dial down on the moss :>
I'm also pretty sure T is about to molt, considering the T had gotten darker, T started to burrow more often and would refuse to eat.
They look sharper than anything I'd leave in with my Tarantulas, but you have the advantage of touching them to see if they're sharp.

Charybids

Arachnopeon
If anything I'd just file them down but I hear yah, I'll take your tips

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
The very 1st tip I can give you is to downsize your enclosure. I would suggest a condiment cup.

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Tip, they will do better in smaller enclosures and you will have a much easier time managing feeding and molting behavior. Condiment cup or small amac box would be much better for your tarantula and you!!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Like everyone else said, smaller enclosure. Feeders can hide or burrow and come back later and present problems. I have over 30 spiders at this point and my Lasiodora Parahybana is still my favorite. I got that and a curly sling last september, both about 1cm. LP is about 2.5" now. Happy keeping!

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Tip, they will do better in smaller enclosures and you will have a much easier time managing feeding and molting behavior. Condiment cup or small amac box would be much better for your tarantula and you!!
Just for interest sake, why is a small enclosure more beneficial for a slings health?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My first sling was an LP and I was eager for it to moult. So believe me, I've been where you are now!
It took 6 weeks to do so, and was only 1cm big when I got it.
By your pictures, your LP isn't ready to moult just yet. Give it maybe a couple of weeks then you will notice it's abdomen getting darker. When ithe whole abdomen goes almost black looking it's within a day or so of moulting.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Just for interest sake, why is a small enclosure more beneficial for a slings health?
People have the belief that a smaller container forces predator/prey interaction more quickly thus leading to easier to see feeding behaviour.
I don't subscribe to this theory entirely but would suggest that putting a small sling into a large enclosure is unnecessary and can make it hard for the sling to find food. (Here I'm talking about a 2" or less sling in a 5 gallon container)

I'm this specific situation, in my opinion, the enclosure is too large but not ridiculously oversized, and i would put it in something a little smaller until it molts and then return it to this enclosure.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
People have the belief that a smaller container forces predator/prey interaction more quickly thus leading to easier to see feeding behaviour.
I don't subscribe to this theory entirely but would suggest that putting a small sling into a large enclosure is unnecessary and can make it hard for the sling to find food. (Here I'm talking about a 2" or less sling in a 5 gallon container)

I'm this specific situation, in my opinion, the enclosure is too large but not ridiculously oversized, and i would put it in something a little smaller until it molts and then return it to this enclosure.
Thanks for the reply, I agree with you I was merely asking because the person made it sound like there are health benefits.

I agree with all the points and I agree with smaller enclosures, I just disagree that there are specific health benefits.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Smaller enclosures make it easier for the keeper to feed and monitor. It can also have the effect of the spider adopting the entire enclosure as it’s burrow, rather than a hole in the ground in a larger space. I tend to keep mine in larger than optimal enclosures to minimize the times I need to rehouse.