My first sling

Ghoulette1991

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone
I just got a Brazilian black tarantula sling I live in a very dry state. My house stays around 30% humidity but if the heat is running a lot it drops below 17%. I have the bottom layer of coconut fiber substrate soaked, and half of the top layer dry. There is a water bottle cap with water in it I also put sphagnum moss in there, and soaked that before I put it in the cage. I also have misted the side of the cage that is near the water dish. My question is this enough to make sure the cage is humid enough? Do I need to do more like add a humidifier to the room, or get a big plastic container, put the cage in there with wet paper towels. I attached photos of what the cage looks like now and a picture of my little one the first day I got it. 0B7E76C7-65C8-4CEC-ACBC-8E8FE14B4122.jpeg C415213B-3DB9-4C9E-8617-2799ABE05EE4.jpeg DC812D36-0B31-4E77-A4F7-500EA957ACD8.jpeg

Liquifin

Arachnoking
G. pulchra are very tolerable when it comes to dry enclosures since they come from more dry areas in the wild. Moisture wouldn't hurt for a sling though, just don't over do it. I wouldn't worry about raising humidity too much to be honest since G. pulchra are very hardy tarantulas overall.

Ghoulette1991

Arachnopeon
G. pulchra are very tolerable when it comes to dry enclosures since they come from more dry areas in the wild. Moisture wouldn't hurt for a sling though, just don't over do it. I wouldn't worry about raising humidity too much to be honest since G. pulchra are very hardy tarantulas overall.
Ok thank you I just wasn’t sure if it was a worry or not for when it molts.

cold blood

Staff member
Keeping a t too moist is way more dangerous than a little too dry. You literally just need to have a water dish, dry sub is fine, it doesn't need moss and the hygrometer will not help you as ts do not require specific (or high) humidity levels.

Be wary of any "guide" offering you specific humidity or even temp levels for individual species...this is why we warn against trying to learn things from care sheets.

Ghoulette1991

Arachnopeon
Should I take the moss out? I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos and read care sheets all the information is conflicting.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I keep my pulchra sling like this:
PXL_20230314_081652183.jpg
PXL_20230304_110054540.jpg
When the water dish gets to about half full, I fill it up again. When the sub dries out completely, I drip water down the walls in one corner to wet the full depth in that corner (not just the top, preferably more along the bottom.)

Because the enclosure has pretty modest ventilation, the evaporation from the water dish is enough. If the air is very dry, the water evaporates faster and I end up refilling it more often.

I have found the moss not terribly helpful, and it just adds clutter for feeders to hide in...ymmv of course.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Me personally, I would remove at least most of the moss. You could leave a little but is not necessary.

Where I keep my Ts can range in humidity from 15% to 75% during various times of the year and they are all fine.

Just follow what Ladyratri stated for a water routine. Consistent water access allows the T to keep hydrated, especially important for molting.

A good hide, which you seem to have, is important. Has it been using the hide at all?

Some owners who keep plants and other live things in their enclosures require higher humidity and moisture levels. For now at least, keep it simple.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Should I take the moss out? I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos and read care sheets all the information is conflicting.
Yes that’s why you should just come here for your care information. You don’t need to be messing with raising humidity like that. You can keep a water dish and keep the corner slightly moist. If you notice it congregating at the moist side that you know you can periodically offer a little extra moisture not on a schedule. Grammostola tolerate dry conditions in general through but can appreviate some moisture at times

Ghoulette1991

Arachnopeon
Me personally, I would remove at least most of the moss. You could leave a little but is not necessary.

Where I keep my Ts can range in humidity from 15% to 75% during various times of the year and they are all fine.

Just follow what Ladyratri stated for a water routine. Consistent water access allows the T to keep hydrated, especially important for molting.

A good hide, which you seem to have, is important. Has it been using the hide at all?

Some owners who keep plants and other live things in their enclosures require higher humidity and moisture levels. For now at least, keep it simple.
No it has not used the hide at all it stays hidden in the moss

I keep my pulchra sling like this:
View attachment 441515
View attachment 441516
When the water dish gets to about half full, I fill it up again. When the sub dries out completely, I drip water down the walls in one corner to wet the full depth in that corner (not just the top, preferably more along the bottom.)

Because the enclosure has pretty modest ventilation, the evaporation from the water dish is enough. If the air is very dry, the water evaporates faster and I end up refilling it more often.

I have found the moss not terribly helpful, and it just adds clutter for feeders to hide in...ymmv of course.
Thank you for you post the pictures are a lot of help I appreciate it.

Nostromo81

Arachnopeon
A waterdish and keeping one corner slightly moist is all it needs. I own two pulchras and though they’re a pretty hardy species I wouldn’t be messing with humidity that way.