My first sling

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T...Its a Grammostola Pulchripes spidering(about 3/4"dls). He is currently in a the deli cup (s)he came in on what i assume is damp peat moss. Ive been told that this is a good newbie spider. Any advice for someone new to the hobby would be welcome.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Yeah it is suitable for beginners. Just read some topics about general terrestrial sling care. A lot of species can be kept pretty similar and usually the only things that differ are enclosuretype and humidity. Only real advice is don't overreact to anything your spider does and don't try to match stuff you read in a caresheet 100%. Only because you read that your species requires 70-80% humidity doesn't mean it will drop dead at 69% or 81%.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got my first T...Its a Grammostola Pulchripes spidering(about 3/4"dls). He is currently in a the deli cup (s)he came in on what i assume is damp peat moss. Ive been told that this is a good newbie spider. Any advice for someone new to the hobby would be welcome.
Welcome to the hobby firstly. Grammostola in general are easy to care for as you probably know just due to the fact you realise G pulchripes is a good starter tarantula.
If you are able to place a waterdish in the deli cup do so it'll make it easier and your tarantula will not drown if you can't then you need to drop a little water on the substrate a few times per week just enough to dampen it.With regards to general care just feed it. It really is that simple there's no specific humidity or temperature for these tarantulas and most of us use if your comfortable in a t-shirt then the room temperature is fine
The G pulchripes grows fairly quickly compared to others like pulchra so my 1 bit of advice would be get a new enclosure picked out now because the deli cup wont last long. Enjoy your new addiction I mean tarantula how silly of me

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Yeah it is suitable for beginners. Just read some topics about general terrestrial sling care. A lot of species can be kept pretty similar and usually the only things that differ are enclosuretype and humidity. Only real advice is don't overreact to anything your spider does and don't try to match stuff you read in a caresheet 100%. Only because you read that your species requires 70-80% humidity doesn't mean it will drop dead at 69% or 81%.

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby firstly. Grammostola in general are easy to care for as you probably know just due to the fact you realise G pulchripes is a good starter tarantula.
If you are able to place a waterdish in the deli cup do so it'll make it easier and your tarantula will not drown if you can't then you need to drop a little water on the substrate a few times per week just enough to dampen it.With regards to general care just feed it. It really is that simple there's no specific humidity or temperature for these tarantulas and most of us use if your comfortable in a t-shirt then the room temperature is fine
The G pulchripes grows fairly quickly compared to others like pulchra so my 1 bit of advice would be get a new enclosure picked out now because the deli cup wont last long. Enjoy your new addiction I mean tarantula how silly of me
Thanks so much! Like my reptiles I'm sure (s)he will be the first of many!

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
G pulchripes was my first species as well (although I started with a 3 inch female plus some 3/4 inch slings). Absolutely beautiful species. The pictures on the internet do nothing to capture the peach colored setae on the legs like you can see them in person. They grow decently, are hardy, and get to a good size which are all attractive qualities. You chose well!

wyattherp

Arachnopeon
G pulchripes was my first species as well (although I started with a 3 inch female plus some 3/4 inch slings). Absolutely beautiful species. The pictures on the internet do nothing to capture the peach colored setae on the legs like you can see them in person. They grow decently, are hardy, and get to a good size which are all attractive qualities. You chose well!
I came very close to buying a 3-4" but I elected for a sling. I figured it would be cool to see it grow.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
I came very close to buying a 3-4" but I elected for a sling. I figured it would be cool to see it grow.
Definitely nothing wrong with that! You will have much enjoyment - and surely more spiders - before this one reaches the 3 to 4 inch mark ;)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
In a lot of ways, that's the best part. You get a real sense of accomplishment. Or at least I did. I look at mine now in near disbelief (particularly my LP).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great species! Great disposition usually, and females reach a nice size too. I suggest you read as much as you can about tarantula's. Using google to search the AB forum, as it indexes the forum for a search. Too many people don't search for information. Don't use or read caresheets, they are full of JUNK.