My first scorpion!!!

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I finally got my first scorpion, which is pandinus imperator.:D I bought him from a breeder today and i'm happy as ever! I show pics as soon as i can.

Also, you know those eco-brick things or whatever. Do you have to dry it out for scorpions? I know they need high humidity.
Thanks

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
congratz man! i remember when i got my first scorpion which was 7 weeks ago{D

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...Also, you know those eco-brick things or whatever. Do you have to dry it out for scorpions? I know they need high humidity.
Thanks
Congrats, this is the first step to many, many, many more scorps.

Just prepare the coco-fiber like it says on the package 1 gallon of water to 1 brick, it won't be too wet. I also use warm water to break down the brick so that it'll bring up the temps in the tank pretty quick. But yes they do need high humidity, 80% - 90% would be great.

Thaedion

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats, this is the first step to many, many, many more scorps.

Just prepare the coco-fiber like it says on the package 1 gallon of water to 1 brick, it won't be too wet. I also use warm water to break down the brick so that it'll bring up the temps in the tank pretty quick. But yes they do need high humidity, 80% - 90% would be great.

Thaedion
Thanks. Scorpions are amazing!:D

Do I have to dry it out after soaking? ( the brick thing)

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No it'll soak the water all up and be ready to use right away. I've set up all my tanks with that and never had to dry it out first. The emperors love the stuff. I gently pack it in so that when they burrow it will have some rigidity to it.

Thaedion

<edit> you know that the brick will soak up the water and expand to about a half a bucket (approx 3 gal total volume)

Last edited:

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No it'll soak the water all up and be ready to use right away. I've set up all my tanks with that and never had to dry it out first. The emperors love the stuff. I gently pack it in so that when they burrow it will have some rigidity to it.

Thaedion

<edit> you know that the brick will soak up the water and expand to about a half a bucket (approx 3 gal total volume)
Oh okay thanks. And yeah I learned the first time I used it. (It streched out my 1 gallon bucket so much I thought it would tear!)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You probably did this but you never know... you should squeeze out any excess moisture with you hands. I will still be holding plenty of moisture. It does a great job at holding in moisture. I have some partially covered terrs that I only add some water to about once every 4 months.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know the actual brand eco-earth is the real good one. I've tried other coconut fiber bricks that just suck. I dunno just my 2 cents.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You know the actual brand eco-earth is the real good one. I've tried other coconut fiber bricks that just suck. I dunno just my 2 cents.
Eco-Earth is the Zoo-Med brand, great stuff. But I didn't find anything wrong with T-Rex brand Forest Bedding either. Yet am going to continue with the Eco-Earth nonetheless, cheaper and maybe better.

Now Bed-A-Beast, a product I have never used was one horror story after another. I never heard anything good about that one.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T-rex is alright, but theres some other brands that i rarely hear of too that i've tried. I just stick to Eco-earth

zilch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I finally got my first scorpion, which is pandinus imperator.:D I bought him from a breeder today and i'm happy as ever! I show pics as soon as i can.

Also, you know those eco-brick things or whatever. Do you have to dry it out for scorpions? I know they need high humidity.
Thanks
welcome to the hobby! :)

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes thats the brand I bought but I forgot the name, and I was too lazy to look :wall: .

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
congrats shes looks great! post a pic of your enclosure so we can see if its setup right and whatnot.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes thats the brand I bought but I forgot the name, and I was too lazy to look :wall: .
"coco green" works too and it's under 1$ per brick.. I've never been able to find it in stores though (hardware/garden stores).

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i did have two same sex i think they got on fine and i did feed them well i hope you got some big tweezers 11in - 12in and a turkey baseter for water as my ones could be very nasty at times:eek: :eek: :eek: :evil: :evil: -- phil

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not fancy. Very simple but good none the less. Thats how i started then i started going all out with my enclosures.