My First Scorpion

AC7796

Arachnopeon
I bought my first scorpion today, and I was looking for tips online and found this place. Not sure what species it is, the pet store labeled it as "Red Claw". It's currently in a small tank, with eco earth as substrate. I didn't known whether the dirt or sand would work better for it, although I would prefer to use sand if it wouldn't hurt. I've got a picture of the little guy in a container while I was setting up its home. Any tips would be appreciated!

Attachments

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought my first scorpion today, and I was looking for tips online and found this place. Not sure what species it is, the pet store labeled it as "Red Claw". It's currently in a small tank, with eco earth as substrate. I didn't known whether the dirt or sand would work better for it, although I would prefer to use sand if it wouldn't hurt. I've got a picture of the little guy in a container while I was setting up its home. Any tips would be appreciated!
I wouldn't use sand as a solid base substrate as they need higher humidity then other scorpion species. I'd guess it could be a pandinus cavimanus as that is usually the one they label as red claws and the claws do look like a pandinus sp. (I could be wrong). You could mix sand with eco earth but I'd recommend using mostly eco earth as the substrate and keeping it damp for humidity purposes. Good luck with the new scorpion!

Stugy

Arachnolord
Eco earth and maybe keep the substrate deep enough to dig as those kinds of scorpions like to burrow. Maybe a couple inches deep would be fine. You won't really see it much due to that but hey! He/she'll be happy!

AC7796

Arachnopeon
I've got eco earth for him set up, with a heat pad stuck to one side and a small heat lamp as my room can regularly dip below 60°F. They are both on the opposite side of the tank that he's made his little home in, and also have a cricket in with him in case he gets hungry. If he doesn't eat it by tomorrow (1/11) night, im gonna take it out for a while.

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got eco earth for him set up, with a heat pad stuck to one side and a small heat lamp as my room can regularly dip below 60°F. They are both on the opposite side of the tank that he's made his little home in, and also have a cricket in with him in case he gets hungry. If he doesn't eat it by tomorrow (1/11) night, im gonna take it out for a while.
The heatpad may be unnecessary if the heat lamp is producing enough heat. Heat pads usually aren't the best choice but can work if on the side of the glass and not underneath. I'd recommend getting something like a thermometer gun to check the temperature in the enclosure. If it's too hot remove the heatpad. But yeah i give scorps about 24 hours to eat whats in their enclosure and if not remove the prey

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Enjoy your new scorpion. They are kinda like potato chips, hard to just have one.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Welcome to "the dark side". Lol!
Pandinus cavimanus are great looking scorps, I've a pair, housed separately. During the day in their burrows and at night usually strolling the surface area. Very good eaters, not prey picky, crickets, dubia and lateralis are the feeders I offer. Substrate I use is topsoil with a small amount of fine vermiculite added to keep moisture longer. There is a water dish, never seen them use it for drinking, usually find substrate in it. Room stays in the upper 70s, so I don't use heat mats.

Enjoy the new pet, more will be added eventually. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@AC7796 That is a Pandinus spp. you have there from what I can see.
No sand - they are not an arid species. It needs to be humid for them and you need to offer several inches of substrate (eco earth is fine) that it can burrow into. Give it a water dish and a hide or two that it will likely construct its burrow underneath.

For feeding, offer it food in the evening. If the prey item is still running around in there the next day then take it out and try again in a few days. They do not always eat.

Good luck.

ScorpionCollector91

Arachnopeon
Angry little suckers, gotta love them though. You can mix some sand in however only around a 20% sand to 80% Coir ratio, with a bit of spagnum moss also to trap some moisture.