My First Scorpion and First Post

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never had trouble with my hygrometer that I bought from the pet shop. The readings are as accurate as they need to be and it is the same brand as the thermometers (both Exo Terra).
Even if 100% accurate they are not neccessary. If the substate is moist, you dont need to know what the humidity % is.

Zope, Your tank is way too dry in those pics. You might should pour water and flood that subastate. Your scorp will greatly appreciate it :)

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the red heat lamp, i use a ceramic heating element which is very similar and still much better than a heat pad imo

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
substrate

To add to what Brian S. said, you may want to get a substrate that holds moisture better - especially if using a heat lamp. Try the coconut stuff that comes in a brick.

Zope

Arachnopeon
Ok. I actually bought the Jungle Mix because I read somewhere that it was great lol. I normally hit it with water a pretty good amount. When you say flood, how much are we talking about. Like litterally have the tank filled with water up to the substrate?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thaedion, your tank looks awesome. I love the way you have the substrate in a hill fashion. I have mine pretty flat right now but I think I want to try what you've done. I guess it would allow the Scorp to adjust his temperature a lot easier....Do any of your scorpions tap on the glass a lot? My Emp likes to rapidly tap on the glass particulary when I'm in bed with the lights off. At first it kind of freaked me out, what with the glowing red light and glass tapping but I've already gotten used to it and think its kind of cute lol.
Thanks, the more substrate they have to dig in the happier they are.

Yeah, since they have limited floor space and the walls are see through they kinda just walk into them and hit them with their chela. Some people call it glass dancing. If they can reach the screen top sometimes they'll crawl across them too.

Regards Thaedion