my first scorp!

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. just thought i'd tell u guys that i got my first scorpion at the BTS show yesterday. it's a 3" emperor scorpion female. i've given it a bed of peat about 4" at one end and 1" at the other with a cork bark hide. it's quite active at the moment also.
Jono

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Jono,

Welcome to the world of scorpions. What are your temperature and humidity for your scorpion? Those are the two things that will make all the difference in the world. Also, I notice you didn't say anything about a water dish. Does your scorpion have one?

Cheers,
Dave

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Jono,
Congratulations on your purchase! You will soon be drawn in to the fascinating world of scorpions!

If you are using peat as the substrate I would reccomend slightly damping it and then microwaving it for a few mins until its hot and steamy. Make sure you open the kitchen window because it does smell a little! This will ensure that all possible parasites are removed from the peat.
A water dish is vital for this species. I find that my emps regularly go have a drink in the evenings. All you need is something like a jam jar lid or similar to just hold a small shallow pool of water. The scorps will soon find it!
What are you using for heating? If you are using a mat it is vital that it is placed on the side of the cage and not the floor. This species digs burrows so you do not want it to overheat.
Do you have a piece of cork bark or similar for it to hide under? They are very easily stressed if they can't escape out of the daylight.
Thats more or less all there is to it! It will provide years of "entertainement" and possibly even keep you up at night if you have the tank in your room! (all you can hear at night are there pincers clunking against the glass as they roam the tank!).

All the best,

Richard.

PS... Are there many scorpion species for sale at the BTS show? I am not a tarantula person but would consider joining if I could get my hands on something a little rarer.

I WANT AN OPISTOPHTHALMUS

anyone out there with one spare go on, do yourself a huge favour and e-mail me!:D :D :D

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i have a water dish. i already keep tarantulas so i know how to set up the tank, but thanks anyway.
and also yes there were quite a few scorpions at the show so that's a good place to go next year if u want to get some. only noticed the more common species though. u don't need to join the BTS either, its open to the public.
Jono

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Jono_mad
i already keep tarantulas so i know how to set up the tank, but thanks anyway.
This statement worries me. There are some key differences between the care of Ts and the care of scorpions (especialy forest scorpions). Supplemental heat and humidity, to mention two very critical ones.

Cheers,
Dave

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thankyou again for your advise but I assure you I have done my research and I know what I need to know. if there are any problems I will ask for advice straight away. cheers,
Jono

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Jono,

Glad to hear it. Sorry for being so skeptical -- just we have so many people come through here with problems that could have been prevented by simply providing the right conditions.

Cheers,
Dave