My First Rehouse - Did I do it wrong?

Russette

Arachnopeon
I just rehoused a C. Versi and now its sitting on the bottom of the new enclosure.
I've heard that these T's shouldn't be on the ground.

Is this a matter of concern or is it likely still getting used to the new space?

I just rehoused it a few hours ago.

Attached is a pic of the enclosure. The T is in the top left corner.

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let's imagine... a gigantic force of nature (demigod? tornado? kaiju? whatever. You get the picture.) has just lifted the roof off of your house. They trapped you and lifted you up with out so much as a by-your-leave, then unceremoniously dumped you into a whole new world. Your comfy web? Gone. Your safe burrow? Gone. Your defensive perimeter of urticating hairs that you spent the past few months constructing? Gone. That tasty cricket you were saving for later? Gone. Everything you knew is gone, replaced by a strange and new environment, with none of the familiar sights and smells and no idea where the nearest safe spot or hiding place might be. You have to start from scratch, rebuilding everything.

Yeah, you'd probably want to hunker down and take five before getting started, too!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Let's imagine... a gigantic force of nature (demigod? tornado? kaiju? whatever. You get the picture.) has just lifted the roof off of your house. They trapped you and lifted you up with out so much as a by-your-leave, then unceremoniously dumped you into a whole new world. Your comfy web? Gone. Your safe burrow? Gone. Your defensive perimeter of urticating hairs that you spent the past few months constructing? Gone. That tasty cricket you were saving for later? Gone. Everything you knew is gone, replaced by a strange and new environment, with none of the familiar sights and smells and no idea where the nearest safe spot or hiding place might be. You have to start from scratch, rebuilding everything.

Yeah, you'd probably want to hunker down and take five before getting started, too!
I was so moved by your words it made me cry from hearing just how cute the anthropomorphised T was!!!!! I want to find it and hug it and help it! Oh, instead of Lucas the spider we could have Steel the OBT or whoever. :)

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
One of my Avic avics was like that earlier this week after bringing her home from the reptile show. Took a cricket but would not move from the ground. Figure it wouldnt hurt to spray water and see what happens. Shortly after I did that, it perked up and started drinking droplets from the sides. Since then, its been hanging out at the very top like we're used to seeing them

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
Your setup looks just fine. I find during rehousing, grab some of their old webbing and just place it in. A little bit of their old home going with them. Otherwise just leave it be, no more fussing for a few days.

Russette

Arachnopeon
I find during rehousing, grab some of their old webbing and just place it in. A little bit of their old home going with them.
I'll keep this in mind for next time.

I looked in on the T today and its back to climbing up walls and around the cork bark.

It is my first attempt at rehouse and I remember hearing that Avics and Versi should never be on the ground so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the replies.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
The specific question in the title of your thread, “Did I Do it Wrong?” If that little critter is in the new enclosure, it couldn’t be wrong. Hypothetically any (I would say most) rehouses could have been better (that’s called learning, which we are all doing...hopefully), but not wrong.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I'll keep this in mind for next time.

I looked in on the T today and its back to climbing up walls and around the cork bark.

It is my first attempt at rehouse and I remember hearing that Avics and Versi should never be on the ground so I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the replies.
My avic avic was on the ground for near a week when she was rehoused and I about died with worry. I was the most relieved person on the planet when she climed to the top of her bark and made a nice hammock for herself. We all have worries, especially when we're brand new to everything.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

This is the same thing I say too, just longer. Why people don't pick up on this is beyond me. I feel T owners need to take a few classes in critical thinking skill development so their Ts can survive their husbandry and such!

Feral

Arachnobaron
This is the same thing I say too, just longer. Why people don't pick up on this is beyond me. I feel T owners need to take a few classes in critical thinking skill development so their Ts can survive their husbandry and such!
I think that's hypercritical and unnecessarily insulting to the OP. I don't see how any amount of well-developed critical thinking skills would unravel this situation for the OP. This is more about having the tarantula-specific "book" knowledge and/or practical experience to know what is and isn't normal tarantula behavior, what tarantulas interpret as stressful stimuli, how tarantulas react to stress and for what duration that reaction normally lasts. I think you're taking your own knowledge and experience for granted and forgetting what it's like to be new.

In any case, we should always be encouraging everyone to ask any questions they want without fear of judgement or scorn, or any other negative repercussions! ALWAYS! These types of... negative reactions... prevent people from asking questions and are not only harmful to the animals as a whole, but also to the hobby. It's best to just be supportive and understanding of everyone all around as a general blanket rule, but let's please be extra supportive and understanding of the newer people and their questions! :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think that's hypercritical and unnecessarily insulting to the OP. I don't see how any amount of well-developed critical thinking skills would unravel this situation for the OP. This is more about having the tarantula-specific "book" knowledge and/or practical experience to know what is and isn't normal tarantula behavior, what tarantulas interpret as stressful stimuli, how tarantulas react to stress and for what duration that reaction normally lasts. I think you're taking your own knowledge and experience for granted and forgetting what it's like to be new.

In any case, we should always be encouraging everyone to ask any questions they want without fear of judgement or scorn, or any other negative repercussions! ALWAYS! These types of... negative reactions... prevent people from asking questions and are not only harmful to the animals as a whole, but also to the hobby. It's best to just be supportive and understanding of everyone all around as a general blanket rule, but let's please be extra supportive and understanding of the newer people and their questions! :D
There’s merit to your post.

But I stand by my support of @chanda ‘s post.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Glad that they are on their way to making themselves comfortable.
Just to be clear - you should be concerned if an Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora is found on the ground for an extended period of time. Yes, rehouse situations like this are the exception, but there are very few exceptions. You were correct to confirm whether this was normal rehouse behaviour, or something to be concerned about.
On a whole, tarantulas often act uncharacteristically during/after being rehoused. It is not a process that they seem fond of, although some can seem indifferent. If that uncharacteristic behaviour lasts an extended period, then it might be cause for concern. However, uncharacteristic behaviour directly after a rehouse is very common and rarely cause for concern.