My first pede,s

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi gongyles, what Navaros said is true. In Hong Kong there ain't too many species of pedes. There are probably more exotic species from mainland China awaiting discovery, but it is never easy to communicate with people from mainland China. This is the most difficult barrier that we are trying our best to overcome.

You said your interests do not limit to pedes but other as well. What else are you looking for? Speaking of arachnids, there are 1 species of small tarantula and 1 species of scorpion in HK only and there are tiny and rare. There are lots of huge true spiders though.

But I do have some interesting rare tarantulas from mainland China called Chinese Fawn or locally known as Chinese Tan Hissing Wolf (Plesiophrictus guangxiensis). Ranging from tan to bronze, these tarantulas are super hardy and adapt to whatever environment and tank size. It is a very rewarding tarantula since it has a ferocious appetite and a defensive but calm temperament. It is also interesting in that it can make a loud hissing noise like a King Baboon.

However I don't have many in stock and all have been reserved for trade with someone here for a T. apophysis and probably some other T's. If they come in excess, I will you guys know by putting an ad here.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brendan, whilst I'm not a huge centipede fan, that set up looks pretty cool. I watched a small Egyptian centipede hunting and they are amazingly fast and poweful. :)

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I watched a small Egyptian centipede hunting and they are amazingly fast and poweful
pedes are always fast and active, but even a 8" long Scolopendra subspinipes fell prey to an Earth Tiger ...

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Earth Tiger!
It seems pretty amazing that a spider can kill a 'pede!
Is it just the earth tigers that can do this? That sounds like one serious tarantula...I love the colors it wears, but it sounds pretty fierce.
Hmmmm, I fed a mealworm to a campestratus sling, I dropped it down the sling's hole. And when the spider bit into the tail, it thrashed all over the place, banging the poor T into the walls and stuff.
I couldn't imagine what would happen with a big 'pede...do the earth tigers have a special hunting strategy to avoid the pincers?
Thanks for any reply.
D.

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Navaros and Earth tiger is right, there are not much kinda pedes in H.K., gongyles.

Navaros, I'm really interested to know if your friend in H.K. ships inverts out by 'proper means'? How old is he? Maybe I happen to know him too. ;P =D

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah he is totally legit, not sure how old 30 something I think. His main business is herps.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi gongyles and wayne, the best known huge true spider is Nephila maculata with a legspan up to 8". But I suppose Nephila are pretty common in the western world isn't it? There are also some huge huntsman spiders here but I dunno their scientific names and I think most await proper identification. In HK people ain't really interested in wildlife ... The most venomous spider in HK should be the 1.5" long funnel web, while the most beautiful spiders are those crab spiders. I kept some ant-mimic spiders when i was a kid too. Concerning pedes, there are some dark red millipedes too but can only be found during summer time. The largest pedes I've seen in the wild are still HK Giants~

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Dragoon, there is no true winner out there. Pedes are awesome predators but tarantulas can certainly take pedes. Not only pedes but snakes etc all fall preys to tarantulas. On the other hand, in general tarantulas lose to forest scorpions, while scorpions can be killed by true spiders.

There is a true story here. One of the WC 6" subadult Black Earth Tigers from the stock of a seller here had ran away from his captivity and was hiding something in his store room. It is nothing too surprising for this being happened on dealers/sellers as I do have 4-5 M. m. scorpions still hiding in my place. But, by coincidence one of his 8" HK Giant Centipedes also fled the day after his Tiger had escaped and was hiding somewhere too. A few days later, when he was reorganizing his stock he found the Tiger, except that it has a HUGE belly and some remains of the HK Giants near it! I've seen that Black Earth Tiger and its belly swells like a ballon!

While forest scorpions kill tarantulas by power, tarantulas kill snakes by skill. I've seen many documentaries that tarantulas adopt a very different strategy when dealing with snakes - they use hit and run strategy instead. Even the deadly Fer-de-lance vipers are found in the regular menu of T. blondi and T. apophysis. I suppose the smaller pedes ain't anything more powerful than large venomous snakes (although I love pedes much more :D)

Last edited:

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Hi Earth Tiger,
I too have sen that documentary,where a T.blondi killed an adult Fer De Lance and ate everything but the skin.Awesome!!
:eek: :p
George

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Thanks very much for the stories!
That's very interesting stuff, and the kind of stuff only an invert dealer would be able to share!=D
D.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its easy for a large T to kill a snake,as snake,s rely on sent and heat for detection of pray and as we all know spiders are cold blooded.

whilst I'm not a huge centipede fan, that set up looks pretty cool. I watched a small Egyptian centipede hunting and they are amazingly fast and poweful
They are awesome to watch very very strong,i got cos i had a couple of spare tanks and am very impressed with them,dont see them much during the day but at night they are very active,they share there food which is deadly to watch and they also groom each other which so strange to see!

I definetly recomend getting one or ten:D =D

cottonsheep009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Navaros, my guess is Vincent. He's very fond of turtle and tortoise, am I right?:? :}

Aviculariinae, have you ever seen them share kill? I'm not talking about food but KILL - Living prey freshly taken down.

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
STOP POSTING those pictures !!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

those make me feel really discomfort!!!!
aaaaaaaaaaah,.. when is the weather gonna change around here :mad:

;) ;) ;) :D
awsome pictures by the way!!!!!
me wanna ,.. me wanna badly :}

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
have you ever seen them share kill? I'm not talking about food but KILL - Living prey freshly taken down.
I seen 2 feeding on a large cricket didnt see which one killed it as it was at 4.30am :confused: but its very odd to look but impressive aswell!

STOP POSTING those pictures
Ok LOL

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
them pictures get better and better
like Steven said when is the weather going to get better over here so we can order some

john

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Review

Just put a review of cottonsheeps service in the review section check it out!!!