My first pairing

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Helloooooo! After a bit of a hiatus being busy with school etc, I've got some exciting news :embarrassed: I successfully had my first pairing, my mature male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(who I have had since a 1/2 inch sling) and one of the mature females owned by my university. Insertion was successful, furrow dance was observed and the little guy lived! Very pleased with how everything went, I'll probably make an official breeding report of my notes later. Anyways, have some photos! And keep an ear open in a few months ;)

Attachments

creepa

Arachnoknight
When did the female last molted??? She looks realy dull in colors...

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
When did the female last molted??? She looks realy dull in colors...
I was told less than 6 months ago, but the thought had occurred to me as well. They're pretty quick layers from what I'm told so hopefully it shouldn't be an issue. Also- he's only about a month mature so if she molts out I might even be able to pair her again.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Great job! After this, everything else should be easy :p Be sure to keep us updated.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Awesome! Great job with getting the male out alive. Was the female that calm? Or did you have to intervene to keep him from ending up as a meal?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
How is the University gonna handle the sack and slings ? Do you have rights to it/them ? In breeding loans usually a 50/50 split is standard in most cases . Is the female school property or is she owned by a professor or grad student ? Just curious .

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Awesome! Great job with getting the male out alive. Was the female that calm? Or did you have to intervene to keep him from ending up as a meal?
She was very enthusiastic and easy with him, she's always been known to be very calm actually I got very lucky.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
How is the University gonna handle the sack and slings ? Do you have rights to it/them ? In breeding loans usually a 50/50 split is standard in most cases . Is the female school property or is she owned by a professor or grad student ? Just curious .
Technically she's school property as she belongs to the live invertebrate zoo, but the woman who runs it all(the outreach coordinator) was very enthusiastic about breeding, I gave her all the details and she agreed to let me try for it. The deal I believe is 50/50 on the slings as they'd like to keep some to display, and she also is familiar with some people who would buy bulk stock.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well we made it to eggs successfully! Wether they're going to actually develop is yet to be seen but I'm hopeful.

Attachments

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well that was fast! I just checked in on the incubator to add a little moisture, and about 11 EWLs have developed! I'm ecstatic!

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
First Instars! We've got about 100, which is excellent I would say for a first try. I'm a little more relieved now that they're this far along, but there's one or two patches of mold thatve sprung up from collection of molts and one or two failed EWLs, and I've done my best to spot clean. Is it worth moving them to a clean incubator at this fragile stage? I would say no, but I figured I should consult the professionals.

Attachments

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Happy to report they have officially begun molting to second instar, with the count being at about 103. Whats the verdict for how long I should be waiting to sell them, I have a few people breathing down my neck but I want to ensure their health and safety first. I figured at least a good meal or two.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You need to separate them at 2nd instar so they wont cannibalize each other and usually after 1-2 meals they will be strong enough to go to new homes. Feed them every 3-5 days.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
You need to separate them at 2nd instar so they wont cannibalize each other and usually after 1-2 meals they will be strong enough to go to new homes. Feed them every 3-5 days.
Alright that's about what I had figured. Thank you:)