My first OBT

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Removed because I'm a silly boy who can't use scales

Gonna add this back in again because I have support now. Definitely looks larger than 1” to me. My guess is on 2”ish as well

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What size do you think it is lol I was wondering that my self, maybe 1/2?
Have you ever seen a 1/2" sling? Have a look for a better perspective. 20181106_000411.jpg
Sure it is. Compare to the bottle cap, and based on the colouration.
Based on the coloration and comparison, it looks well over an inch to me as well...more like 2". Any seasoned bottle cap scavenger knows just how many different shapes and sizes they come in, all depends on the size and brand of the bottle. ;)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Finally got my first OBT pretty excited, his name is golden nugget the great! Can’t wait to have tea parties and strolls in the Park with it
Granted I can’t see the sides, but it looks like your enclosure may lack ventilation.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Have you ever seen a 1/2" sling? Have a look for a better perspective. View attachment 295621

Based on the coloration and comparison, it looks well over an inch to me as well...more like 2". Any seasoned bottle cap scavenger knows just how many different shapes and sizes they come in, all depends on the size and brand of the bottle. ;)
Hahahah awesome thanks for the info!!!

Granted I can’t see the sides, but it looks like your enclosure may lack ventilation.
The sides have a lot of holes in them should I put more in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Minty

@londontarantulas
The sides have a lot of holes in them should I put more in?
Nah, if there are lots in the sides you should be ok. This species is kept dry so it won’t present an issue.

Edit: having seen the latest photo, I’d add more ventilation.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Three holes on each side, shall I add more? And also how would I do so?
Ah, that sub looks too wet for this species, I would definitely add more ventilation. It needs to dry out.

I use a drill, but you can also use a hot soldering iron. I’d highly recommend taking the tarantula out, via catch cup, before doing any of that though.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Three holes on each side, shall I add more? And also how would I do so?
If you have any dry sub at the ready, you could also just switch it out...then you wont need to add more vent. It can become an issue with excess moisture though, and create stuffy conditions.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
If you have any dry sub at the ready, you could also just switch it out...then you wont need to add more vent. It can become an issue with excess moisture though, and create stuffy conditions.

Ah, that sub looks too wet for this species, I would definitely add more ventilation. It needs to dry out.

I use a drill, but you can also use a hot soldering iron. I’d highly recommend taking the tarantula out, via catch cup, before doing any of that though.
Just drilled six more holes at the top!

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Have you ever seen a 1/2" sling? Have a look for a better perspective. View attachment 295621

That doesn't look like an OBT sling AT ALL. They are brown when they are little, and built differently. That looks like some terrestrial sling.

By 2", a P. murinus is BRIGHT ORANGE. They start getting colouration around an inch and a half.

That bottle cap, to me, looks like a 1" across water bottle cap. Of course, I could be wrong on the details... but I am pretty well versed in bottle caps lol

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
That doesn't look like an OBT sling AT ALL. They are brown when they are little, and built differently. That looks like some terrestrial sling.

By 2", a P. murinus is BRIGHT ORANGE. They start getting colouration around an inch and a half.

That bottle cap, to me, looks like a 1" across water bottle cap. Of course, I could be wrong on the details... but I am pretty well versed in bottle caps lol
Are you sure? It is very orange the picture was just dark, it is a bright orange and has the same patterns that I’ve seen on every other sling, don’t know if you can see but here’s a pic with flash

Attachments

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
1536189722494.jpg

This sling is about 1.5"

In your original photos, it looks more brown.

The sling I said doesn't look like an OBT at all is Nightstalker's.