My first loss to a stuck molt

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm sorry :( . It always sucks to lose a tarantula, especially if it was something like this where you had no control over it. It always hits me harder than I think it will when something happens to one of my spiders. I cried when my first Avic died....you watch their behavior and mannerisms and get attached to them, just as you would another pet. People who say 'it's just a spider' have no idea what they're talking about. I almost lost my A. juruensis sling a few weeks ago to a bad molt and it was gut wrenching having to try to restrain such a tiny sling and pull layers of stuck exuviae off of him. I'm sorry for your loss, and just know that it very likely wasn't anything you did wrong. If you want the P. cambridgei, go for it. I have one and she's one of my favorites. You won't regret it. They're big, beautiful, active spiders. You deserve it.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
You're not the only one. I've had a few friends lose t's including avics and C versi's to bad moults last couple of months this winter. I'm honestly wondering if our centrally heated dry air is causing issues, but can't speak for the climate in other countries.

A bad moult is something that will happen to every t keeper.

I'm sorry for your loss, it's devastating when it's a species that you really want to have in your collection always.
About the furnace running in winter and dry air....I've wondered that myself. My A. juruensis sling almost died due a bad molt a few weeks ago too. It's been very cold outside, and the heater is always running, making the air very, very dry. Maybe some of these little guys need a little boost in humidity during the winter in these conditions, even though most people argue that you should avoid misting, etc. in Avic enclosures.

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
Sorry for your loss. My last T to go like this was an A. avicularia. I don't try to obsess over molting issues, but it's a present though whenever one of my older + bigger Ts is flipped over. Luckily most of us don't keep just one T and find solace in the presence of the others :)

Jess S

Arachnobaron
About the furnace running in winter and dry air....I've wondered that myself. My A. juruensis sling almost died due a bad molt a few weeks ago too. It's been very cold outside, and the heater is always running, making the air very, very dry. Maybe some of these little guys need a little boost in humidity during the winter in these conditions, even though most people argue that you should avoid misting, etc. in Avic enclosures.
I actually agree with that. Although loads of people would vehemently disagree, when my C versi is in heavy premoult, I fill the little water dish (it's very small, the size of a tablet capsule, and evaporates quickly) then I overflow it just enough to moisten about 1/10th of the substrate underneath.

In fact when I first do that, the substrate is so dry the water sits on top until it sinks in.
Owing to the amount of ventilation holes (enclosure resembles a colander!) it doesn't get stagnant. The rest of the time I don't though. In fact, if I could fit a bigger dish in there, I'd probably not feel the need to.

I know they use internal not external moisture to moult, but I wonder does lack of external moisture play a part in prematurely drying the new exoskeleton, causing them to get stuck? I've not seen any hard evidence to prove or disprove that.

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh....so sorry — that’s heartbreaking 😥 I lost a young A. avicularia a long time ago due to a bad molt. Crushed me.

I decided to use a warm air humidifier in the winter bc it gets so crazy dry here. Seems to help a bit.

best wishes ~•

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
At this point I am also questioning if it had something to do with the dry heat. From here on out I am going to provide a little extra moisture around molting time especially in the winter.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Thank you so much to all that offered condolences. I am happy to announce I have ordered the Psalmopoeus Cambridgei and the replacement C. versi.

Last edited:

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you so much to all that offered condolences. I am happy to announce I have ordered the Psalmooeus Cambridgei and the replacement C. versi.
Yay :)

I have a P. cambridgei juvie that I’ve raised since a sling—-absolutely stunning! Definitely a favorite of mine ~•

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Oops looks like I missed a letter in my excitement, lol! It's been fixed :)

I'm so excited, it's supposed to be around 3/4 of an inch. The versi will be half an inch just like the first one was when I got it.