My first "hot" scorpions - a question regarding substrate

Oroborus

Arachnosquire
I came home from my dealer last night with a T stigmurus, H franzwerneri and an adult P villosus (black morph). My question is in regards to the P villosus, which I named Big Angry, and how to best accomodate its burrowing habits. I have read it is best to mix the sand with a bonding material, such as clay dust, so the tunnel/ burrow will not collapse after initial wetting and settling. My fossorial tarantulas (i.e. P muticus) has done well in a soil/peat mixture but I'm trying to keep the substrate and hides as reflective of the natural habitat as possible. Any suggestions regarding substrate composition and set up would be appreciated. Cheers.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I hear a 1-4 ratio clay-sand works well for almost any burrowing desert species :) Maybe 4 in. or so would be good, depending on size of the scorp and enclosure.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I came home from my dealer last night with a T stigmurus, H franzwerneri and an adult P villosus (black morph). My question is in regards to the P villosus, which I named Big Angry, and how to best accomodate its burrowing habits. I have read it is best to mix the sand with a bonding material, such as clay dust, so the tunnel/ burrow will not collapse after initial wetting and settling. My fossorial tarantulas (i.e. P muticus) has done well in a soil/peat mixture but I'm trying to keep the substrate and hides as reflective of the natural habitat as possible. Any suggestions regarding substrate composition and set up would be appreciated. Cheers.
I am not fully familiar with the species in question but maybe some others can chime in here. Why can't you use the 70/30 sand/excavator clay mixture that you would use for H. arizonensis ? @Smokehound714 @G. Carnell @Galapoheros ?

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
Is the sand and clay mix combo from zoo med ? And it wouldn't be too stiff for scorpions to burrow, or is it a one time chance for them to make a burrow ?

P.s. aracnophiliacs has some p.villosus dark morphs .

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is the sand and clay mix combo from zoo med ? And it wouldn't be too stiff for scorpions to burrow, or is it a one time chance for them to make a burrow ?

P.s. aracnophiliacs has some p.villosus dark morphs .
It is not a product that is pre-mixed to my knowledge. You need sand and excavator clay and then you do the mixing yourself.

Redjunior

Arachnoknight
It is not a product that is pre-mixed to my knowledge. You need sand and excavator clay and then you do the mixing yourself.
Yes I know you have to mix it yourself, but I thought once it molds it might be difficult for scorpions to burrow. If it's a good substrate I'll use it, but is it like 70/30 in a concept of mixing both together and just laying it out, or is it like the videos where you mold a tank design and then add sand or other substrate to it ?

I ask a lot of questions that are usually silly.. but I just like to make sure I know 100% what I been told. So I have no reason for error . Sorry if it's frustrating . Lol