My First Centipede

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've been keeping Tarantula's for almost 30 years now, and decided recently to branch out a bit. In an order from Kelly Swift I included a S. subspinipes (along with a few rare T's). Thought I'd post up a few pics of the subspinipes along with my enclosure. It's a Hefty brand tub with a locking lid from Lowes (29 quarts - 17" x 12" x 13") that cost me about $7 and a few minutes with my drill. It's basic, but I think it will work for a bit.

Thanks to those who answered all my questions beforehand.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bravo! :)

We need more centipedes and discussion about those amazing inverts here (especially the Asian ones, IMO of best, like that Chinese 'mint legs').

T's are lovely tyrants with the monopoly of threads, unfair :angelic:

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I took your advice about a tall enclosure, and with the way the lid attaches I think it's escape proof.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I took your advice about a tall enclosure, and with the way the lid attaches I think it's escape proof.
You did the right thing, a taller enclosure is obligated when it comes to those. The only idiot full aware of that slightly important detail for prevent escape attempts that just decided to give a damn about the whole issue is called Chris LXXIX :-s

basin79

ArachnoGod
Congratulations. Pedes are absolutely phenomenonal inverts.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Awesome! I assure you the pede hobby will not disappoint you. One thing though, that's a Dehaani, not a Subspinipes.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome! I assure you the pede hobby will not disappoint you. One thing though, that's a Dehaani, not a Subspinipes.
From what I understand, S. subnipes is the species and ave the ones below are listed as "infraspecies"? Have they been scientifically classified as different species not or still just localized variations?

Scolopendra subspinipes

basin79

ArachnoGod
Pedes are ridiculously messed up in terms of their names and identification.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That was my understanding also.

Good news is that it ate a large 1.5" dubia last night. Dropped it in at 9:00 and by 11:00 there was nothing left. Pretty good for being shipped across the country and only being unpacked for 8 hours or so.

basin79

ArachnoGod
That was my understanding also.

Good news is that it ate a large 1.5" dubia last night. Dropped it in at 9:00 and by 11:00 there was nothing left. Pretty good for being shipped across the country and only being unpacked for 8 hours or so.
Pedes are like mantids. They really don't give a rats arse about being shipped. Get them out and give them some food and boom.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
From what I understand, S. subnipes is the species and ave the ones below are listed as "infraspecies"? Have they been scientifically classified as different species not or still just localized variations?

Scolopendra subspinipes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
For some reason I can't edit my post, but what I meant to say was that Dehaani has recently been recognised as its own species.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
For some reason I can't edit my post, but what I meant to say was that Dehaani has recently been recognised as its own species.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not doubting you at all, but please post up a link. I have done research (and as Basin79 stated) the documentation out there is lacking. If pede keeping is going to become more popular, then the information available needs to get better also. Not to mention the availability!

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just a quick update. The enclosure is working extremely well, it's deep enough for the pede to burrow where it wants, humidity seems just right and there is plenty of ventilation. And no escapes :)

The Pede itself is eating great, been feeding it a very large dubia about once a week. Might bump that up as it does't seem to be gaining any girth.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
My hardwickei almost always hides and I see him very rarely even though it should be an adult now. It never burrows though, just uses the hides so I can lift one and see it anytime I want. The subspinipes "cherry red" on the other hand, created an intricate system of tunnels almost immediately after she was introduced to her enclosure, yet she is out every night but bolts away when she notices I am looking. They do their own thing really...

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My morsitans is always out (and I mean always). My female rubripes (curse her for eating the eggs) has also been spending a lot of time on the surface lately as well. I'm pretty lucky when it comes to the visibility of my pedes. Except cormocephalus...haven't seen them for ages except for when one popped up that night to disturb the mother rubripes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
No sighting in the last 9 days.... Molting maybe?
Ah ah, it's normal :-s

Mine disappeared under the cork bark (where she burrowed) for almost two months. Reason: she was pregnant :-s

Molting? Maybe.
Or, maybe, you have to expect badass babies like happened to me, uhm :angelic: