My first centipede questions

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I've found several pictures labled as angulata that look remarkably like alternans and along with it information on alternans. This confusion as well as general curiosity had led me to several questions.

Species: Scolopendra angulata

Species Specific Questions:
  1. What is average length and girth for this species? I've found anywhere from 6 to "12 in" :rolleyes:
  2. Any special care requirements other than the following:
    • -substrate - 6"+ cocofiber/sand/moss mix
    • -"humidity" - keep mixture moist like you would a C. lividum or Megaphobema
    • Provide water dish.
    • Large cork flat for hiding
  3. Are these truly as "gentle" as I've read? I'd like to handle one if their venom isn't too strong.
General questions:
  1. How do you measure centipede length properly? Does one include terminal legs and antennae?
  2. Is there a significant difference in life with male/female (besides breeding roles) i.e. lifespan, size, temperment, etc.
Habitat Questions:
  1. The room it would go in is 65-72°F. The upper temp seems fine, but the colder seems too low.
  2. Do centipedes desiccate like tarantulas with a heat mat?
  3. Do centipedes destroy live plants if I were to put them in there as a sort of vivarium?
    • What plants can go in with them without poisoning them?
  4. Is there a rule of thumb for centipede escape hole sizes? E.g. if a mouse can fit it's head through...
  5. Will centipedes chew through mesh tops?
  6. Can you put a pedeling in a large forever home right off the bat?
  7. Will a 12x12x18 enclosure (Exo-Terra) be big enough for an adult?
  • If I put a lock on the front door and modify the top screen to an acrylic flip top (with a cam lock), would this work to keep it in?

Scoly

Arachnobaron
  1. Not sure, someone else might be able to comment.
  2. Substrate sounds deep, they'll live with 3". So long as substrate is damp below and there are damp hiding places you don't need to worry too much about air humidity.
  3. Temperament is quite individual in centipedes. Venom strength is relative, while it may not be as bad as a S. subspinipes bite, it will certainly hurt. Which is not to say you can't make it calm down using the proper techniques.
General questions:
  1. Length measurements exclude antennae and terminal legs.
  2. It has been noted that males of S.Harwickei for example are more aggressive and have a worse bite than females, but this is anecdotal. There may be differences but I'm not aware of these, and indeed most people don't know the sex of their centipede. It's not like tarantulas where you really need to know if yours is male because it will mature and die (as far as I know!)
Habitat Questions:
  1. 65 is on the cold side, consider additional heating.
  2. A heat mat can be used, but never under the cage (they dig to ESCAPE heat) but it's best if you have a heated cabinet or such.
  3. Plants should be fine though I'm not sure why you'd want them. Plants also act as useful props for the centipede climbing up and over the edges.
  4. If there a flat slits you need to be really careful. Round holes are less of a problem. Just take a good look at your centipede and use common sense.
  5. Yes, they will chew through mesh, duck tape and other materials (but metal mesh is fine).
  6. You can house a pedeling in a large enclosure, but a) the ventilation holes in a large tank are usually larger too b) the centipede may have trouble finding food c) food can hide better from you too so you could accidentally leave prey items living, which could kill the pede during a moult and d) you may not see much of him.
  7. Depends on the size of the adult. I'd say width must be more than the length of the adult by perhaps a quarter, and length more than that. If it's square then edge would ideally be 1.5 times length of pede.
  8. Modifying a cage can work, just be sure you've got all angles covered. Post some pictures if you're unsure.
Hope this helps!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
  1. Not sure, someone else might be able to comment.
  2. Substrate sounds deep, they'll live with 3". So long as substrate is damp below and there are damp hiding places you don't need to worry too much about air humidity.
  3. Temperament is quite individual in centipedes. Venom strength is relative, while it may not be as bad as a S. subspinipes bite, it will certainly hurt. Which is not to say you can't make it calm down using the proper techniques.
General questions:
  1. Length measurements exclude antennae and terminal legs.
  2. It has been noted that males of S.Harwickei for example are more aggressive and have a worse bite than females, but this is anecdotal. There may be differences but I'm not aware of these, and indeed most people don't know the sex of their centipede. It's not like tarantulas where you really need to know if yours is male because it will mature and die (as far as I know!)
Habitat Questions:
  1. 65 is on the cold side, consider additional heating.
  2. A heat mat can be used, but never under the cage (they dig to ESCAPE heat) but it's best if you have a heated cabinet or such.
  3. Plants should be fine though I'm not sure why you'd want them. Plants also act as useful props for the centipede climbing up and over the edges.
  4. If there a flat slits you need to be really careful. Round holes are less of a problem. Just take a good look at your centipede and use common sense.
  5. Yes, they will chew through mesh, duck tape and other materials (but metal mesh is fine).
  6. You can house a pedeling in a large enclosure, but a) the ventilation holes in a large tank are usually larger too b) the centipede may have trouble finding food c) food can hide better from you too so you could accidentally leave prey items living, which could kill the pede during a moult and d) you may not see much of him.
  7. Depends on the size of the adult. I'd say width must be more than the length of the adult by perhaps a quarter, and length more than that. If it's square then edge would ideally be 1.5 times length of pede.
  8. Modifying a cage can work, just be sure you've got all angles covered. Post some pictures if you're unsure.
Hope this helps!
Great, that does help! It'll be awhile before I can get the centipede based on availability, setting up the enclosure, and cost.

I'm trying to price out an enclosure and figure out how much to save up. It sounds like that exo-terra would be fine for a centipede up to 8 in. assuming I can "escape proof" it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
check out Mastigioproctus's channel, pure life. he has all sorts of cool tips on taming centipedes down and making them more easy to handle. i assume they are much worse chewers than tarantulas, just look at those maxillipedes! (fangs) i'd try for more heat. they can fit through holes the size of their head.

and arent you the guy whos not allowed to gt centipedes due to his wife having a gun? :angelic:

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
check out Mastigioproctus's channel, pure life. he has all sorts of cool tips on taming centipedes down and making them more easy to handle. i assume they are much worse chewers than tarantulas, just look at those maxillipedes! (fangs) i'd try for more heat. they can fit through holes the size of their head.
Yeah, I've watched some of the videos. Can't wait to get one now!
and arent you the guy whos not allowed to gt centipedes due to his wife having a gun? :angelic:
Shhhh! :anxious: That's for the subspinipes cause it can kill little humans. As for the other guy, it's practically harmless in comparison! In other words, it's in the works... ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, I've watched some of the videos. Can't wait to get one now!

Shhhh! :anxious: That's for the subspinipes cause it can kill little humans. As for the other guy, it's practically harmless in comparison! In other words, it's in the works... ;)
haha best of luck.