My first centepede

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all. Am new to this hobby and would like to know which centepede would be the best to start with.

hibludij

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Scolopendra cingulata
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus
Alipes grandidieri

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had many Scolopendra cingulata over the years and they're great... Their venom is weak and they are beautiful... From my experience, they are very fast, sometimes even faster than an angry Scolopendra subspinipes... I think whatever you get will be good for you, it's pretty hard to get bit by a pede unless you handle them like Caco does... Just get what's easy for you to get and you find interesting...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my first that i kept was S. heros castaniceps. never been bitten that i know of. However after hunting them the other day i had a small amount of blood on my wrist , but i am sure its from the blooming green briars i reached into lol
I would find one that is inexpensive and not too bad of a bite . then you can learn how to keep them and if you get bitten its not a big deal.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cingulatas are great, and I also higly recommend Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus (yellow legs, or blue ring legs - blue ring legs more docile in my experience). These species have relativly mild venom and don't tend to be as fiesty as some of the other Scolopendra species. These guys also look great so it's win-win :)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cingulatas are great, and I also higly recommend Ethmostigmus Trigonopodus (yellow legs, or blue ring legs - blue ring legs more docile in my experience). These species have relativly mild venom and don't tend to be as fiesty as some of the other Scolopendra species. These guys also look great so it's win-win :)
well, Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "yellowlegs" AKA "african giant yellowlegs" has had the worst bite of any centipede i have tried. blue ring legs version seems to have much more mild venom. to be honest, i need to try yellowlegs again to make sure it is really that bad... but i am too wimpy and need a good 2-3 days i won't need to use my arm =P

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "yellowlegs" AKA "african giant yellowlegs" has had the worst bite of any centipede i have tried. blue ring legs version seems to have much more mild venom. to be honest, i need to try yellowlegs again to make sure it is really that bad... but i am too wimpy and need a good 2-3 days i won't need to use my arm =P
You're a good man cacoseraph! And more brave than I am! We definitely appreciate your research and "hands on" experience :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Caco, ever have the smaller SHC plings chew on your epidermis? that feels bizaar lol

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for all the replies. Have narrowed it down to 2, either S.morsitans or Scolopendra cingulata. Do have a few questions?
1. What size of tank should I use?
2. Should their substrate be moist or dry?
3. What should their diet consist of, just crickets or other?
4. What is a good book to buy on their care?
5. What is the max size on both of these?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you Cacoseraph for the link ,alot of good information.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Caco, ever have the smaller SHC plings chew on your epidermis? that feels bizaar lol
=P
[YOUTUBE]kcLbHxUQ3WY[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you for all the replies. Have narrowed it down to 2, either S.morsitans or Scolopendra cingulata. Do have a few questions?
1. What size of tank should I use?
2. Should their substrate be moist or dry?
3. What should their diet consist of, just crickets or other?
4. What is a good book to buy on their care?
5. What is the max size on both of these?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you Cacoseraph for the link ,alot of good information.
1 depends on size of pede. check out http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/S_subspinipes_x.html for a rough size guide for caging
2 those two species (non-pedelings at any rate) should be kept along the lines of this http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/centis/S_polymorpha.html
3 check out both those guides. they are the two like, archetypal centipedes, "drier" (polymorpha) and "moist" (subspinipes). they both talk about feeding.
4 there are no real great books. probably the best bet for the money would be Orin McOngles (er, whatever, he has a hard name) Giant Centipedes something or other. most of the care info is pretty good, but some of the taxo is a little dated. luckily some of the more learned members of the board were good enough to set him straight
5 you probably aren't going to see morsitans much past 5" bodylength. dunno about cingulata, but i rather expect you won't be getting that sp. unless you buy directly from some euro person (which is illegal)