My first breeding attempt with P. Irminia

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
So if you've been keeping up I have a good size girl and just got me a mature male ready to rock. I got him yesterday and he immediately ate after delivery. I was going to wait a few days before doing anything to let him settle but when I came into my t room I saw something I'd never seen before. My female was OUT IN THE OPEN! That is not like her at all. She never ever comes out so of course I snapped a pic and she fled to her hide (seems to be light sensitive). I was like ugh ok, left for an hour and when I came back out again! So I said ok she must know. I went to the males cage and he was going nuts. Drumming and dancing and full of life so I nutted up and said let's do this. Cupped the guy and put him in her cage (she had fled back to her hide with all the commotion). He went in gently and just sat still. Probly 10 minutes went by and then he started Drumming.... Then dancing.... Then I saw her legs. She came out slowly but deliberately. They met with a leggy embrace, a little more dance, a gentle push and back, at several point he pinned her upside and I'm almost certain he made his deposit. There was a few more of this with some awesome dance moves and then she took off into her hide like the morning of a shameful one night stand. I gently cupped him and put him back in his own home to relax. I must say.... That was beautiful. If she weren't due to light sensitivity I would have taped it but I was so fearful she would snap if too much light was around. All in all.... I'm so friggin happy :D

This is her out right before.. This don't happen 20160709_204953~2.jpg

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I had a crappy day today, but your post cheered me right up. Love the enthusiasm and love in your post. Fingers crossed for an eggsac, but I'd say this experience has been a reward in of itself :)

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
I had a crappy day today, but your post cheered me right up. Love the enthusiasm and love in your post. Fingers crossed for an eggsac, but I'd say this experience has been a reward in of itself :)
Well I'm sorry you were having a crappy day but glad I helped you feel better! I was in awe as to just how beautiful the process was. It was almost like they were slow dancing Hehe. It was very rewarding even if I don't get a sac. I treasure the experience for sure.

cold blood

Staff member
I appreciate it! Next round will be this upcoming weekend and hopefully I'll have video this time.
If the first pairing went good...don't re-pair...just wait. If she has stored sperm, she'll likely be a lot less receptive...keep the male safe and healthy in case she molts out. No need for a "round 2" IMO.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
If the first pairing went good...don't re-pair...just wait. If she has stored sperm, she'll likely be a lot less receptive...keep the male safe and healthy in case she molts out. No need for a "round 2" IMO.
I would agree with @cold blood on the round 2. Not necessary to mate them up again. :)
How can I be sure a good insertion and deposit took place? While I'm pretty sure, it was dark and my lack of breeding experience has me second guessing of course . I always thought u paired them a few times to insure it worked out? I'm such a rookie

cold blood

Staff member
Some do re-pair, but IME its not generally necessary...yeah there may be exceptions, but its not the rule. I recently paired N. incei....once...got a sac....paired 4 different avics, all just once...all 4 gave me a sac....just paired my P. cam...once....she's already webbing and burrowing just a couple weeks later.....she may molt, she may lay a sac...but if she does molt, I still have the male to re-pair with after. If I re-pair, I run the chance of him being seen as a meal, in that case should she molt out, I'd be waiting on another MM and that second pairing would serve only to inconvenience me. Psalms are pretty good at the breeding thing, I'd bet there was a good insertion.

louise f

Arachnoangel
How can I be sure a good insertion and deposit took place? While I'm pretty sure, it was dark and my lack of breeding experience has me second guessing of course . I always thought u paired them a few times to insure it worked out? I'm such a rookie
Well the vid speaks for itself, when the male is in you are not in doubt about it at all. Hope it helps you out.

And when you are certain about the male has been there, as i said before, no need to do further matings.

metaldad904

Arachnopeon
The video definitely was similar to what I witnessed. I suppose I'll just wait and see what happens. I have noticed since the pairing the female isn't coming out and the male isn't going nuts. So he must have unloaded. Thanks ya'll for the advice, truly appreciate it.