My First Breeding Attempt - P.fasciata

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My girl molted about 2 months or so ago. I was able to confirm from the molt that she was mature and got a second opinion (thanks @cold blood). When I saw @Sana had a MM for sale I decided to take the breeding plunge.

He got here nice and healthy last Thursday. I housed him up beside my female (who I have been feeding heavily) that night. I didn't notice anything Friday or Saturday but Sunday night he was tapping. My female P.fasciata was out and two other mature females were out as well. I didn't put him in then planning to wait till the weekend so I'd have time to watch over him longer the night he went in and be on hand to get him out the next morning.

Monday, I found a fresh sperm web he had made and that night they were both drumming so much I decided to go ahead and put him in. He worked his way around to the wall near her hide and tapped till she started to come out. He was tapping while slowly backing up to let her out. She was tapping and bobbing. At one point she sped up too quickly for his liking. He dropped down the side then zipped over to a corner away from her. After a bit, he started tapping again and she responded. He was working his way back over to her when I had to get some sleep before work, so I left them to it.

The next morning he was spread out over in the corner away from her hide. She was down in her hide stretched out like she normally does. Both of them showed no signs that they knew each other existed. Which is wild after all the ruckus they were making the night before. I'm taking this as a good sign that they got the job done.

I moved him back into his enclosure beside her. I'll watch them in the coming weeks. If they show signs that they are interested in each other again I'll try another pairing. From the way they are acting though I think they are good and it wont be needed.

I'm pretty excited at how everything went and I can't wait to see if she drops a sack. :)

Below are just a few phone photos I grabbed since starting this project. I didn't take any last night while he was in since the lights were out and I was pretty nervous about the whole deal.

My girl:

MM:

Leftovers from his sperm web:

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Congrats! Sounds like you did a fine job pairing! Feed her well and watch for her to plump up. If she gets super plump quite quickly she's probably got eggs. I feed until the female stops eating or disappears. Good luck!!

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I also mated my P. fasciata. The breed was awesome, although the actual insertion was so fast that I missed it :rofl:. I'll link my video to it. I currently have the female's enclosure drying out so that I can cool her before warming her back up. It's still going to be another 2 months or so before I know if she's gravid.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Any updates @Trenor ? I have a P. fasciata as well so I'm interested in everything about them.
She is doing really good since the pairing. She has been eating a large Dubia roach weekly and plumping up even more than she was before. She has kicked up the webbing in her enclosure. Which I'm taking as a good sign. I've moved her off the main shelves to a less used place in the T room so I don't bother her as I do maintenance. I'd snap a few photos but I'm trying not to disturb her any more than I have to.

Thanks for the interest. It's been a learning experience so far and I'm enjoying it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I also mated my P. fasciata. The breed was awesome, although the actual insertion was so fast that I missed it :rofl:. I'll link my video to it. I currently have the female's enclosure drying out so that I can cool her before warming her back up. It's still going to be another 2 months or so before I know if she's gravid.

I didn't film the pairing. I just made sure they both were in the mood. I put the male in and they both reacted with taps and such. Then I left him in over night. The next morning she was back in her hide and he was waiting in the corner to get out. They haven't tapped or reacted to each other since so I'm taking that as a good sign.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
She is doing really good since the pairing. She has been eating a large Dubia roach weekly and plumping up even more than she was before. She has kicked up the webbing in her enclosure. Which I'm taking as a good sign. I've moved her off the main shelves to a less used place in the T room so I don't bother her as I do maintenance. I'd snap a few photos but I'm trying not to disturb her any more than I have to.

Thanks for the interest. It's been a learning experience so far and I'm enjoying it.
Good to hear she is doing well and webbing a lot. From what little I could find online that sounds like a good sign. Hopefully you end up with a good egg sac and have lots of little ones soon :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Good to hear she is doing well and webbing a lot. From what little I could find online that sounds like a good sign. Hopefully you end up with a good egg sac and have lots of little ones soon :)
I hope so. It would be cool to go through the whole process and have some slings to show for it. :)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I didn't film the pairing. I just made sure they both were in the mood. I put the male in and they both reacted with taps and such. Then I left him in over night. The next morning she was back in her hide and he was waiting in the corner to get out. They haven't tapped or reacted to each other since so I'm taking that as a good sign.
I tried pairing them again and she wanted nothing to do with him, so I'm hoping that's a good sign too. He's off on a breeding loan now.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I tried pairing them again and she wanted nothing to do with him, so I'm hoping that's a good sign too. He's off on a breeding loan now.
Yeah, I was planning on waiting for the weekend to pair but they were causing such a commotion I went ahead and let them. The next day they didn't even acknowledge each other and he hasn't tapped since. I've been thinking about throwing him out for breeding in case someone needs him.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Yeah, I was planning on waiting for the weekend to pair but they were causing such a commotion I went ahead and let them. The next day they didn't even acknowledge each other and he hasn't tapped since. I've been thinking about throwing him out for breeding in case someone needs him.
It was crazy how she molted, then like two weeks later was tapping and acting all spastic in her enclosure one morning, so I figured, why not see if they'll pair? He'd been tapping for months, but she wasn't interested until she molted. Then after they paired she refused to acknowledge him even though he would still tap sometimes.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
@Trenor sounds like she's on her way to make a sac. From my experience poeci female poeci web very little unless they are getting ready to molt or make a sac. MMs on the other hand make sperm webs and elaborate hammocks if given the room. I can even post a pic of that if you're interested. I also put a dark pillow case over the side the female chooses to web on to give her more privacy. Not necessarily but I've found it helps. I did that for my gravid A.metallica because she seemed uneasy. She dropped a sac that night. Girls like their privacy lol. Best of luck !!! Keep us posted please.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Trenor sounds like she's on her way to make a sac. From my experience poeci female poeci web very little unless they are getting ready to molt or make a sac. MMs on the other hand make sperm webs and elaborate hammocks if given the room. I can even post a pic of that if you're interested. I also put a dark pillow case over the side the female chooses to web on to give her more privacy. Not necessarily but I've found it helps. I did that for my gravid A.metallica because she seemed uneasy. She dropped a sac that night. Girls like their privacy lol. Best of luck !!! Keep us posted please.
Yeah, she hadn't made a lot of webbing in the enclosure since the rehouse. Now the back side is webbed pretty heavy including the floor/substrate. I currently have her in the empty closet in the T room sitting on a small table. It's always dark and quite in there with the door shut. I try not to overly check on her. Sometimes I even succeed. :)

Congratulations on the A.metallica sack that's great news. :cigar:

I'd love to see photos.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Best of luck. I attempted to breed regalis once and the male was almost instantly munched.
I also paired my 10" ornata with 2 mms, and let the 3 of them cohab peacefully for near 1 month. Ended up getting a sack of over 120 eggs, but unfortunately they went bad during incubation

Hopefully you end up with more babies than you kno what to do with

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Posting this into the breeding thread so it's complete:

Well, I was doing some maintenance this morning and I now know why he was drumming up a storm. My paired female must have molted a day or so ago. I checked and she had a molt in there with her. :banghead:

Looks like once she is fed up I'll try pairing them again. :(

I moved the MM enclosure back beside her's and he was tapping pretty good last night. I still need to get her fed good but it looks like he is really wanting another try.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Posting this into the breeding thread so it's complete:

Well, I was doing some maintenance this morning and I now know why he was drumming up a storm. My paired female must have molted a day or so ago. I checked and she had a molt in there with her. :banghead:

Looks like once she is fed up I'll try pairing them again. :(

I moved the MM enclosure back beside her's and he was tapping pretty good last night. I still need to get her fed good but it looks like he is really wanting another try.
That's why keeping the male around is always a good idea. Sucks that she molted, but hey at least you can give it another shot, good luck man.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, she was 2 months into her molt cycle when the MM showed up. She went about 5 months after the pairing before molting again. Maybe by pairing them right after she has molted (and been fed up) she'll have enough time to do a sack without molting again.

Thanks. She should be taking food next week and we'll see about pairing her after that.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, she was 2 months into her molt cycle when the MM showed up. She went about 5 months after the pairing before molting again. Maybe by pairing them right after she has molted (and been fed up) she'll have enough time to do a sack without molting again.

Thanks. She should be taking food next week and we'll see about pairing her after that.
Awesome, doubt she will molt again that would be really unlucky.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, they paired pretty quick. I left him in with her and went to bed. The next morning he was down in her hide with her and has been since. He is fine but has yet to try coming out where I can remove him. I put a dubia in there tonight for her and hopefully will be able to take him out soon.

I'm feeling pretty good about the pairing though. I saw 3 good insertions and they were still dancing when I went to bed. We'll see how it goes.