My first babies, need help!

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I walk into my room tonight and check out my P. Imperator to find out that she has given birth to at least 9 little white scorps :eek: now i know i need to do my searching yadda yadda, but I just thought I'd let you guys know. This is my first scorpion too... kinda ironic, I had her with a male about 3 or 4 months ago however the male died. I guess before he passed is when they mated. I noticed she was getting larger but she wasn't getting fatter just higher (like the space between the bottom and top of her). I just thought she was getting fat. I don't have a digital camera but my girlfriend does and she will be down tomorrow, so I will post pics as soon as I can. I am so excited lol. any advice on keeping baby emps would be appreciated. thanks guys

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
first off... an emps gestation period is like 9 months to a year... and secondly congrats on the brood. try not to disturb her or she might munch the babies. Also you can expect a few more (unless she had already started the munching). My female dropped over 20 babies with her last brood....

Emp. scorpion

Arachnopeon
Congratulations on the birth of your emperors.

Leave the babies with the mom until they molt, which usually takes 1-2 weeks depending on the temperatures. Once the molt and come off the mother's back move the into a separate environment/habitat. You can separate the babies each into their own containers, but this is generally not necessary as they are hardly ever cannibalistic as babies, unless they are not cared for properly or there is a runt. Once you separate them just feed them size appropriate food and make sure the habitat is humid and warm, such as 85-90% humidity and 80-85 F.

Hope this information helps.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I guess she wasnt done poppin em out cause this morning I counted at least 15 and theres some on the bottom of her that i cant tell how many there are so it looks like I have quite a few more emps lol. also does anyone know say theres 20 babies how many will actually survive, i know it all depends on care but on average?

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
So I guess she wasnt done poppin em out cause this morning I counted at least 15 and theres some on the bottom of her that i cant tell how many there are so it looks like I have quite a few more emps lol. also does anyone know say theres 20 babies how many will actually survive, i know it all depends on care but on average?
They can all survive if cared for properly which is easy to do if the temps and humidity are to their liking.
Congrats and good luck with them!
I would try feeding the female some dead food in case she is hungry.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can all survive if cared for properly which is easy to do if the temps and humidity are to their liking.
Congrats and good luck with them!
I would try feeding the female some dead food in case she is hungry.
Feeding a scorpion with I1 slings usually causes the female to start chomping down on them.... Don't feed until the brood is removed from the mother, only open the lid to offer water, an abundence of noise will most likely cause the same result.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Feeding a scorpion with I1 slings usually causes the female to start chomping down on them.... Don't feed until the brood is removed from the mother, only open the lid to offer water, an abundence of noise will most likely cause the same result.
I wasn't aware of that. I've only had one emp have babies and I fed her a meal of dead food when she had her babies on her back. I fed her dead because I didn't want a live prey animal stressing her out and was concerned that she may have eaten some babies if she was hungry.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am no expert, but I agree with Dom.. I have fed my mother scorpions with babies on their backs DEAD prey with no problems.. I have had some death after the babies come off mom, but the offering of dead prey does not really seem to bother mother scorpions. I would agree they need to be pre-killed or it can stress mom out.. Congrats on the babies :)..

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am no expert, but I agree with Dom.. I have fed my mother scorpions with babies on their backs DEAD prey with no problems.. I have had some death after the babies come off mom, but the offering of dead prey does not really seem to bother mother scorpions. I would agree they need to be pre-killed or it can stress mom out.. Congrats on the babies :)..
Yes, of course pre-killed can be offered if you feel it is totally necessary, I'm sorry if I came off as if you couldn't. I just personally wouldn't. Feeding once the slings are removed seems to be the most common practice.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I wasn't sure either I just fed her because when I looked at the mass of babies on her back and her skinniness compared to before she had them I thought it was quite possible she was ravenous. I had read quite a bit about mothers eating some of their babies so I just wanted to make sure she had food in her belly. I'm sure they are designed to have enough reserves to not need a feeding but I went ahead anyway. I'm sure much of the mothers eating the babies is stress related.
As EAD063 said try to leave her alone until the babies come off her back.
Oh yeah, congrats!!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't sure either I just fed her because when I looked at the mass of babies on her back and her skinniness compared to before she had them I thought it was quite possible she was ravenous. I had read quite a bit about mothers eating some of their babies so I just wanted to make sure she had food in her belly. I'm sure they are designed to have enough reserves to not need a feeding but I went ahead anyway. I'm sure much of the mothers eating the babies is stress related.
As EAD063 said try to leave her alone until the babies come off her back.
Oh yeah, congrats!!
Yes, I speak from expirence. I put 2 crickets in the first time I had a brood and 8 hours later, every sling was gone. It stinks to have it happen with pandinus/heterometrus because you need to wait another year to see more.