My first Avicularia versicolor sling

Kennyg

Arachnopeon
i just cant wait till my sling is big enough to have a bigger cage setup with a side opening door haha that would just be easier

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I used AMAC's on all of my early Avic's. The lower web links get broken when you open from the bottom. I don't put fake plants and cork bark right at the top of the container and haven't had a problem with any of my arboreal T's webbing up on the lid (except my Psalms Pulcher T's which is a different genus / situation). I use 32 oz for my smallest Avic's. And then move to the plastic cereal tubs for the big slings and smaller juvenile sizes.

I have moved away from AMAC's also because of the "burrowing in the tunnel" that Avic's tend to do quite often. I have to put too many holes in the container to insure that I can insert a few drops of water when they seal their web and don't come out for extended time periods. I can also strategically drop a cricket into a deli cup much easier so that it is guaranteed to trigger a web link.
Sounds like you setup your inverted AMAC wrong. One piece of plant will do the trick. Far enough away from the opening. As they grow their tubes will start to extend to the floor/opening but usually by that time they need rehousing. As with both setups they will learn to not web past the point when you keep breaking their web constantly. When you say you put too many holes for watering their tube web what do you mean? I can't see that ever being a problem with the correct inverted setup. Feeding, watering and maintenance is much easier and less time consuming when you have as many as I do. I have saved time on feeding and maintenance since switching to inverted style. Avics in a new upright enclosure that havn't webbed up yet love to run out and circle the rim, while evading my best efforts to get them to go back down in their enclosure. This battle can be quite time consuming and annoying the more you have to feed. Therefore, if your going to use an upright enclosure I'd take Dennis's suggestion and use deli cups. Although, I'm not a fan of not taking the lid completely off (like Trenor). It increases the probability for incident, especially with newbies who may squish them trying to close the lid before the Avic escapes. At least the deli cups lids/openings are at the very top so it decreases the chances of being webbed on.
Also, AMAC boxes are heavier and more sturdy, less chance it will be accidentally knocked over... (stupid cats).

I don't really understand your dislike of AMAC boxes, but anywho, both work well. It's really just personal preference. If I only had a few Avic slings I wouldn't mind deli cups.

The AMAC issues you have problems with are eliminated with this setup:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-iridopelma-enclosure-for-slings-juvies.290177/

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Sounds like you setup your inverted AMAC wrong. One piece of plant will do the trick. Far enough away from the opening. As they grow their tubes will start to extend to the floor/opening but usually by that time they need rehousing. As with both setups they will learn to not web past the point when you keep breaking their web constantly. When you say you put too many holes for watering their tube web what do you mean? I can't see that ever being a problem with the correct inverted setup. Feeding, watering and maintenance is much easier and less time consuming when you have as many as I do. I have saved time on feeding and maintenance since switching to inverted style. Avics in a new upright enclosure that havn't webbed up yet love to run out and circle the rim, while evading my best efforts to get them to go back down in their enclosure. This battle can be quite time consuming and annoying the more you have to feed. Therefore, if your going to use an upright enclosure I'd take Dennis's suggestion and use deli cups. Although, I'm not a fan of not taking the lid completely off (like Trenor). It increases the probability for incident, especially with newbies who may squish them trying to close the lid before the Avic escapes. At least the deli cups lids/openings are at the very top so it decreases the chances of being webbed on.
Also, AMAC boxes are heavier and more sturdy, less chance it will be accidentally knocked over... (stupid cats).

I don't really understand your dislike of AMAC boxes, but anywho, both work well. It's really just personal preference. If I only had a few Avic slings I wouldn't mind deli cups.

The AMAC issues you have problems with are eliminated with this setup:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-iridopelma-enclosure-for-slings-juvies.290177/
My setup is fine. My early ones have the exact plant pieces that were provided by Jamie in the kit. My later ones have some Hobby Lobby plants. All of mine make long tubes and part of the tube does go downward. But none of my slings in AMAC's go down to the substrate area except for my A. sooretama T's. For whatever reason both did an reverse order setup which currently doesn't allow me to open the AMAC at all. They started with tubes near the substrate and worked upward on the tube formation. My female A. Versi and female A. Metallica also have tubes that go all the way down to the substrate, but those are in large enclosures with hinged doors on the side. A hole for access doesn't work well if the T is currently in the syringe hole area or the water will stream down on top of the spider.

About 20 of my 100+ T's are in AMAC's. About 15 of them are Avic's. The AMAC's take twice as long for feeding and watering as the deli cups. I always check for T location in all of my containers before I fully open them regardless of T type or container type. I also have to be careful opening any AMAC that still contains a cricket on the substrate. I now have two Avic's in deli cups and am happy with the results. My P. bromelicola are the only slings that seem to hang out near the lid.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
My setup is fine. My early ones have the exact plant pieces that were provided by Jamie in the kit. My later ones have some Hobby Lobby plants. All of mine make long tubes and part of the tube does go downward. But none of my slings in AMAC's go down to the substrate area except for my A. sooretama T's. For whatever reason both did an reverse order setup which currently doesn't allow me to open the AMAC at all. They started with tubes near the substrate and worked upward on the tube formation. My female A. Versi and female A. Metallica also have tubes that go all the way down to the substrate, but those are in large enclosures with hinged doors on the side. A hole for access doesn't work well if the T is currently in the syringe hole area or the water will stream down on top of the spider.

About 20 of my 100+ T's are in AMAC's. About 15 of them are Avic's. The AMAC's take twice as long for feeding and watering as the deli cups. I always check for T location in all of my containers before I fully open them regardless of T type or container type. I also have to be careful opening any AMAC that still contains a cricket on the substrate. I now have two Avic's in deli cups and am happy with the results. My P. bromelicola are the only slings that seem to hang out near the lid.
Very interesting, a lot of mine make a part of tube web vertically as for another entrance but it rarely extenses to the substrate when slings. Happens more with Juveniles because of the T size to enclosure size ratio. I can see an odd ball sling doing it but it's not common. Not that big of an issue, like I said before, they will learn to not web past a certain point. What size were Jamie's AMACs, 2x2x4 I'm assuming? I would get the bigger 4x4x7, to stop those issues if they are detering you from inverted use.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
wow, didnt know your collection was so large.
That wasn't my plan. I blame all of you. You kept presenting new T's to me that I wanted. I couldn't help it.:wacky: But I have control of my situation now and won't do any more orders unless it is something that I really really really want.:rolleyes:

Over 90 of my T's are slings and I have usually ordered three or four of each species. I only have a dozen or so female juveniles and adults. I actually love raising them as slings. It presents lots of challenges (mostly related to "hide and seek" games).

It isn't my intention to insult the AMAC containers either. I know a bunch of you like them. Everybody should their own thing for a system that works for them. My big complaint on the deli cups is their lack of clearness versus AMAC containers.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Very interesting, a lot of mine make a part of tube web vertically as for another entrance but it rarely extenses to the substrate when slings. Happens more with Juveniles because of the T size to enclosure size ratio. I can see an odd ball sling doing it but it's not common. Not that big of an issue, like I said before, they will learn to not web past a certain point. What size were Jamie's AMACs, 2x2x4 I'm assuming? I would get the bigger 4x4x7, to stop those issues if they are detering you from inverted use.
I have sling and juvenile AMAC's from Jamie's. I also have some of her large size arboreal enclosures. At some point I started buying AMAC's from the Container Store out of paranoia related to the screens on the side, but none of mine in Jamie's AMAC's have ever touched the screens.

I think the AMAC's are just not a good fit for me. But they make great presentation containers.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That wasn't my plan. I blame all of you.
It isn't my intention to insult the AMAC containers either. I know a bunch of you like them. Everybody should their own thing for a system that works for them. My big complaint on the deli cups is their lack of clearness versus AMAC containers.
lol my bad.
i like the amac containers much more than deli cups, theyre clearer, stack able, and look nice. i also like that lip they have for slings to web in. i cant see how you would prefer delis to them, but to each their own. ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
lol my bad.
i like the amac containers much more than deli cups, theyre clearer, stack able, and look nice. i also like that lip they have for slings to web in. i cant see how you would prefer delis to them, but to each their own. ;)
I highly value the amount of time to feed them. I am trying to feed my smaller slings 2+ times per week. I am also losing too much time trying to insert the water bubbles into these AMAC's when they go into premolt. I have a huge paranoia with the battle to get them water when they won't go down to the substrate.

I get to see them every time I open the container so making a presentation isn't important right now. But better visibility on deli cups would be nice for my non-avics such as my Tapi's. I don't stack any of my containers but might value that in a much higher degree once they move into BIG enclosures.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I am also losing too much time trying to insert the water bubbles into these AMAC's when they go into premolt. I have a huge paranoia with the battle to get them water when they won't go down to the substrate.
what do you mean by that? ive never used AMACs for avic slings, but im def planning on it. couldnt you just spray the top part of the amac to water them after a molt?

cold blood

Staff member
My big complaint on the deli cups is their lack of clearness versus AMAC containers.
Whaaa? Deli cups, at least the ones I use, are every bit as clear as the amex boxes (I do own a couple). I've had a few people stop over and comment on how much clearer than what they thought.

Not only is it just as clear, but its thinner and has the same basic 100% visibility from all angles.

I agree though, nothing wrong with amex, its just a matter of personal preference. @CEC isn't gonna convince me to change to Amex any more than I am going to convince him to switch to deli cups. And guess what, both of our slings will grow into healthy adults without issue, because neither is any more right or wrong than the other, its just the keeper's personal preference.:happy:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
what do you mean by that? ive never used AMACs for avic slings, but im def planning on it. couldnt you just spray the top part of the amac to water them after a molt?
At least a portion of my Avic slings will not go down to the substrate to get water when they go into premolt characteristics. My complaint is that I have put so many holes into the AMAC's only to find I still don't have enough holes sometimes to easily place a water drop into the sealed web nest. I can't insert a syringe from the bottom of the AMAC because the hole I create in the nest will make whatever water I insert drain right back out unless I try to do it at an angle. But it isn't just this issue that has turned me against them. It is also the slower feeding time. I also feel like the deli is more flexible on placement of the cork bark when setting up a new container. A 32 oz deli cup has more space than the sling AMAC's so I don't have to remove the bowed back of the cork bark or make it thinner, etc.

I would advise that you seek advice from @viper69 and @trenor Both of them like AMAC's and can advise you well on the best way to set up your holes / ventilation.

If I decide to set up a small arboreal sling(s) in a presentation container in the future I will probably use something from Hobby Lobby and then cut the lid into a few sections for side opening with a hinge and latch. But it may take some thought to insure the T doesn't web up the door.:)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Whaaa? Deli cups, at least the ones I use, are every bit as clear as the amex boxes (I do own a couple). I've had a few people stop over and comment on how much clearer than what they thought.

Not only is it just as clear, but its thinner and has the same basic 100% visibility from all angles.

I agree though, nothing wrong with amex, its just a matter of personal preference. @CEC isn't gonna convince me to change to Amex any more than I am going to convince him to switch to deli cups. And guess what, both of our slings will grow into healthy adults without issue, because neither is any more right or wrong than the other, its just the keeper's personal preference.:happy:
I think I finally ordered some on Amazon this weekend. I had to quit looking at the ones with good ratings and instead look at the ones people were complaining about due to the inability to reuse it (thinner plastic). Since I rarely go to deli departments at stores I never seem to remember to try to get the free ones.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
At least a portion of my Avic slings will not go down to the substrate to get water when they go into premolt characteristics. My complaint is that I have put so many holes into the AMAC's only to find I still don't have enough holes sometimes to easily place a water drop into the sealed web nest. I can't insert a syringe from the bottom of the AMAC because the hole I create in the nest will make whatever water I insert drain right back out unless I try to do it at an angle. But it isn't just this issue that has turned me against them. It is also the slower feeding time. I also feel like the deli is more flexible on placement of the cork bark when setting up a new container. A 32 oz deli cup has more space than the sling AMAC's so I don't have to remove the bowed back of the cork bark or make it thinner, etc.

I would advise that you seek advice from @viper69 and @trenor Both of them like AMAC's and can advise you well on the best way to set up your holes / ventilation.

If I decide to set up a small arboreal sling(s) in a presentation container in the future I will probably use something from Hobby Lobby and then cut the lid into a few sections for side opening with a hinge and latch. But it may take some thought to insure the T doesn't web up the door.:)
Hey @venom1080, What do you need clarification about on my comment?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
What's with your hole problem? Open the the AMAC completely, spray, pour or syringe water on web. Don't worry about "pooling" the water. Slings don't need much water, especially if they are well feed.
4x4x7 AMACs are bigger than 32oz deli, getting the same size corkbark in AMACs shouldn't be an issue.

Your reasons make since to you and that's all that matters.
Whatever works...

Happy keeping.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm just not understanding how you put water in, do you put water through the holes in the top of the amac?
There is no easy way to mist the top of an AMAC. If you spray up from the bottom it will possibly wet the T as well. I am also not sure that any of the moisture will travel into the sealed hide through the web. Maybe others can chime in on this subject as well. I am certainly still green on this area. I like the open top of deli cups and cereal containers for picking how and where I want to place moisture.

I am a fan of syringes as well since I can place a small simple bubble of water or place scattered moisture across a section of the wall of the container without wetting the tarantula. A syringe can also focus a stream of water into the water vial or bowl in the bottom of a container as long as the path is clear.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
What's with your hole problem? Open the the AMAC completely, spray, pour or syringe water on web. Don't worry about "pooling" the water. Slings don't need much water, especially if they are well feed.
4x4x7 AMACs are bigger than 32oz deli, getting the same size corkbark in AMACs shouldn't be an issue.

Your reasons make since to you and that's all that matters.
Whatever works...

Happy keeping.
My T's in premolt aren't eating. They seal theirself in the web. Does spraying travel through the web? When I use a syringe and penetrate the web in a spot the water bubble I place stays inside the hide with the sling.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My T's in premolt aren't eating. They seal theirself in the web. Does spraying travel through the web? When I use a syringe and penetrate the web in a spot the water bubble I place stays inside the hide with the sling.
See, I always viewed this like the - My T buried/webbed itself in its burrow - scenario. You don't use a syringe to drop water down to a T who has burrowed itself in and I've not seen anyone advocating opening up the burrow and dropping food in near the T in case it was hungry. In all the Avics I've raised so far I've never intervened when they are in their web tube. No dropping water near them or placing food on their web. I do have water and food down below should they decide they want it. I just don't drop it in their web. Mine have always came out and ate/drink when they needed it. I just see that behavior as a leave me alone / do not disturb thing. If they have sealed themselves in then they likely believe they have what they need to wait out the molt where it is safe. I feel if that changes they will come out and eat/drink.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
There is no easy way to mist the top of an AMAC. If you spray up from the bottom it will possibly wet the T as well. I am also not sure that any of the moisture will travel into the sealed hide through the web. Maybe others can chime in on this subject as well. I am certainly still green on this area. I like the open top of deli cups and cereal containers for picking how and where I want to place moisture.

I am a fan of syringes as well since I can place a small simple bubble of water or place scattered moisture across a section of the wall of the container without wetting the tarantula. A syringe can also focus a stream of water into the water vial or bowl in the bottom of a container as long as the path is clear.
That doesn't make much sense to me at all... When you open the inverted AMAC boxes and flip it over, ta dah...it becomes top opening, there isn't any watering issues. There's actually less watering problems with the inverted style, you'll have clear access to the water bowl and substrate for cleaning. You can even easily replace the substrate if you feel it's needed.

Does spraying travel through the web?
Yes, it does. The web absorbs it, they can drink through it. Doesn't matter how you apply the water, either. You could pour it from the ceiling like rain simulating the way they get it in the wild for all I care.

Take Trenor's advice. Once they close off their tube web entrances there is no need to go puncturing it with a syringe. ;)

No reason to explain why you like deli cups anymore. I get it, they have there pluses too. Cheap and easier to put together. Just don't add reasons that aren't needed or untrue.

Good Luck with your Ts, I hope they thrive with you.

Last edited: