My First 3 Sacs!!!!! Warning - Lots of Pics

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I made my first attempt at breeding a few different T's for the first time ever, after just recently returning to the hobby last year. I will write up the details for the breeding reports when all results are in. However, right now I am very excited and can't wait that long to share.

My first surprise came on 04.28.08 when the Heather (an A. avic who actually belongs to my niece and was paired with a MM from Warpig) dropped a sac. The very first ever!!! :D

I was really shocked when my P. pederseni dropped a sac on 05.10.08. She had been co-habitating with a MM on loan from Reclusa but was never very receptive of him. I had honestly not suspected her of being gravid and had been planning on trying again after she molted this spring! :D

Now, the one spider I did suspect of possibly being gravid was my B. vagans. She wasn't a very big girl when I decided to breed her but I wanted to give it a try.

I bought the MM from Ryan and he was a big boy - bigger than my small female. Right after I took that pic, he took off and ran behind my bed, between the bed and the wall!

It wasn't exactly love at first sight.

But once he turned around and took just one look at this little hottie...

He had to have her!!!!

Well, several months have gone by and my girl as got a little bigger in the behind. I moved her to a bigger house about a month ago which is probably a mistake because she never acclimated to her new digs and made a burrow. I woke up yesterday morning to webbing all over her house.

And... she continued to web... ALL DAY AND NIGHT LONG!!!

At about midnight I finally saw her laying her eggs!!!! {D I couldn't believe it. It was so incredibly awesome!!! It actually just looked like a puddle of goo. After that she spent more hours webbing over the top of the goo. I finally called it a night at almost 4am.

When I awoke at 9 am I think I found her in the final roll up stages.

I checked on her about an hour later and it looks like she may have gone arboreal on me. Maybe she's been watching the Pokie mama on the other shelf! :eek:

Sorry there are so many pics. I am just REALLY excited. {D I know there are still 100 million possible things that can go wrong between now and actual 2nd instar slings. Whatever happens, I just hope I can learn from it and try again for next years sacs. OR if I am really lucky, maybe I will get some slings from one of these mama's!!

Last edited:

Sparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I had three T's with egg sacks I'd be excited too! Congratulations. Hope all goes well.

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Your first sac is so exciting (and you got three), triple the excitment!!!

I just got my first sac too!! I'm posting a thread about it. {D

Last edited:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jules, you have definately broken out in a BIG way in 2008!!!
Congrats:worship:

Def looks like you have a green thumb, or is that an urticating thumb;P !!!!

Great news!!!
PIG-

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
3 sacs from 3 fun species. I was excited just seeing the photos. Thanks, I enjoyed them lots.

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Great pics there... especially of the B. Vagans mating! Congrats!!

tigger_my_T.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats gonna be ALOT of little teeny tiney T.s running round, congrats:clap: :worship: {D

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats on the sacs!!! Well done! :) To see a tarantula making an eggsac is one of the biggest exciting event for the tarantula keeper, especially if you made the mating happen :D
I hope it all goes well for you and your tarantulas!

Pato.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on sacs!

Best regards Uros
Thanks - I'm really excited. So far the plan is to pull and open each of them at 45 days. We've got them all marked on the calandar! Did I mention I was excited?? :D

I also woke up this am to my B. smithi finishing a sac. :eek: A fourth sac out of six attempted breedings last year - my first ever. I can hardly believe it. At first it didn't look so good but now it looks round but still kind of small. It's really hard to get a good look where she is. I'll just have to wait and see.

The pessimist in me knows I am still a long way off from any live 2nd instar slings and there is no telling what, if anything is in those sacs. Regardless, it has still be very exciting to see so many sacs dropped my very first year attempting to breed. I see this whole project as a learning experience. It makes me wish I had more females to breed this year but as I cut way back on buying T's I only have the same girls from last year and right now most are busy with their sacs!! {D I'm not complaining!!

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Jules, you better start getting vials, and I mean a whole lotta vials;P
Congrats on yet another sac.

PIG-:worship:

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks - I'm really excited. So far the plan is to pull and open each of them at 45 days. We've got them all marked on the calandar! Did I mention I was excited?? :D

I also woke up this am to my B. smithi finishing a sac. :eek: A fourth sac out of six attempted breedings last year - my first ever. I can hardly believe it. At first it didn't look so good but now it looks round but still kind of small. It's really hard to get a good look where she is. I'll just have to wait and see.

The pessimist in me knows I am still a long way off from any live 2nd instar slings and there is no telling what, if anything is in those sacs. Regardless, it has still be very exciting to see so many sacs dropped my very first year attempting to breed. I see this whole project as a learning experience. It makes me wish I had more females to breed this year but as I cut way back on buying T's I only have the same girls from last year and right now most are busy with their sacs!! {D I'm not complaining!!
I totally understand how you're feeling with how exciting it is to see the sacs dropped on the first breedings. I feel the same way, and my S. rubronitens just dropped a nice size sac on me, which makes my second sac.

Congrats on the B. smithi sac, I know how badly you were hoping you would get one. :D

Good idea to mark the calendar! I will need to do that. I was thinking of pulling at 30 days and use a manual incubator.

natakamani

Arachnopeon
Holy cow!!

Congrats! Thats going to be a whole bunch of tiny ts.... Four sacs....*shakes head in wonder* Thats amazing!:worship: