My fellow cali peeps...

RoseT

Arachnosquire
With the news and the rumored info that has been going around lately about an earthquake set to hit....Have any of you besides survival kits, made any arrangements to your collection to prepare for something like this?.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hey, we here in BC share the same fault line!
I've made no preparations with regards to my collection, as they seem to already know how to drop and cover really well at the slightest disturbance! They are on bolted shelves though, but I don't secure them to said shelves.

If/when an eathquake hits, I have a feeling my collection will be one of the least of my worries...

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I certainly don't worry about earthquakes where I live, but if I did, my mindset would be the same as Hobo's.

I'd grab my mom, my bf, & my dog. The spiders probably have an excellent chance of survival should they get knocked off the shelves, which would pop open most their containers.

Sad to say, but they can be replaced. The humans & my dog can't be.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Now I know where your Ts stand :p
Yeah, well you know, I'd be much more concerned with staying alive, making sure my family and friends are alive, Getting them and myself somewhere safe... making sure our house and important belongings are ok... you know stuff like that. THEN maybe I'd worry about my Ts.

With how big this one is supposed to be, nothing short of strapping your enclosures to bolted shelves, or keeping them secured on the floor would "prepare" them anyway, and would be far too impractical (with regards to regular maintenance) to do to prepare for something that might not even happen im my (or their) lifetime, IMO.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
if we were to have another one like in 89, my priorities are as follows:

1. dogs safe
2. armed
3. reptiles safe
4. check on neighbor
5. T's safe

after that i'll be spending time boiling river water on the wood stove. i remember quite vividly what it was like in 89 and i don't want to be unprepared this time. i was only a kid and thought it was fun, i didn't realize what my parents went through to keep us safe and fed.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1-People
2-important material (cash, ID's, mortgage stuff, car, tools and utilities)
3-Tarantulas

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
I certainly don't worry about earthquakes where I live, but if I did, my mindset would be the same as Hobo's.

I'd grab my mom, my bf, & my dog. The spiders probably have an excellent chance of survival should they get knocked off the shelves, which would pop open most their containers.

Sad to say, but they can be replaced. The humans & my dog can't be.
I disagree,your tarantula's life can "NEVER" be replaced!:embarrassed:

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a survival kit, and stocked up on water and canned food.

My bookshelves are bolted, and have screens, so if the Ts containers open, they will still be contained for a while.

I am not too worried. All I can do is try to prepare, the rest will happen no matter how much I do or don't worry ;)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I disagree with you also. In cases involving only minutes to decide on what to remove from a potentially falling structure or a gigantic wave, there are plenty of people out there breeding tarantulas so another can be gotten. Heck, i'd even rather take another one out of the wild then loose a human over it.

Would hate to have to replace my family, or my dog that i've had for 7yrs.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I am going to go with the idea of "my T's can be replaced". It's like those people who die in a fire b/c they went back in for their dog or cat.

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
Well I disagree with you also. In cases involving only minutes to decide on what to remove from a potentially falling structure or a gigantic wave, there are plenty of people out there breeding tarantulas so another can be gotten. Heck, i'd even rather take another one out of the wild then loose a human over it.

Would hate to have to replace my family, or my dog that i've had for 7yrs.
No life can be replaced!:embarrassed:

How is a humans or dog life more superior than a tarantulas?:?

Your concept of life is pitiful:clap:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

So you would be willing to give up your life to possibly save even just one of your tarantulas?

And yes, in a high stress situation, I would save my dog before my spiders. My dog has epilepsy with an unknown trigger, so in a high stress situation, on top of escaping, i'd be worried about him possibly seizing. It's broken my heart enough in the past watching him twitch before I got him on meds.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Haha well I didnt make this thread to compare animals to human, obviously my family are primary. I was just wondering if anyone had a set-up specifically for these type of situations.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm glad you did! I didn't even know about Jim Berkland's predictions until I started searching after seeing this. Very scary stuff. I have a very good friend in Cali & now i'm worried about her.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I think you should put a sign on your door that states:

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, PLEASE READ: I value my pets' lives as much as my own, so if you have to choose between me or my pets, get whatever you can get, but don't choose me first just because I'm human.

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
So you would be willing to give up your life to possibly save even just one of your tarantulas?

And yes, in a high stress situation, I would save my dog before my spiders. My dog has epilepsy with an unknown trigger, so in a high stress situation, on top of escaping, i'd be worried about him possibly seizing. It's broken my heart enough in the past watching him twitch before I got him on meds.
Hey NikiP

I didn't know your dog had epilepsy,I apologize for offending you.:worship:

My T's are my only pets so i will never abandon them under any circumstance.;)
They will never be replaced because they are part of my world.:)

bootdsc

Arachnopeon
With the news and the rumored info that has been going around lately about an earthquake set to hit....Have any of you besides survival kits, made any arrangements to your collection to prepare for something like this?.
Yeah i have given it some thought, with my two roach colonies(not producing yet) i have enough to feed all the T's for 6 months which is a lot longer then my own emergency supplies will last.

The only problem i see is not having heat if the power grid fails but at least here in orange county they would be fine at room temp for a while.

On the subject of saving yourself. If an earthquake is strong enough to bring down a city, saving our pets wont be an option. Dogs and especially cats are more then able to find food and can drink the filthiest water so there chance of survival in an all out apocalypses type disaster is far greater then us fragile humans. Whats happened in japan is exactly what it would be like here on the coast were a 8 or higher magnitude quake to hit. I don't think any of us are prepared for that.

Last edited:

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
I think you should put a sign on your door that states:

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, PLEASE READ: I value my pets' lives as much as my own, so if you have to choose between me or my pets, get whatever you can get, but don't choose me first just because I'm human.
I think you should come over and try to post it yourself...:rolleyes:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
My T's are my only pets so i will never abandon them under any circumstance.;)
They will never be replaced because they are part of my world.:)
+1

As soon as I put an animal in a cage, I assume 100% responsibility for its wellbeing.
If you just view your T's as various species to hoard and not as a pet, then yes it can be replaced. But I don't have a collection, I have an extended family.

Now if the house is litterally crumbling to the ground, I'm jumping out the nearest window asap, lol. But if I have a chance to grab anything, the animals come first, then the possesions like clothes, wallet, documents, etc. Possesions are what can be replaced, lives cannot. That would be like telling someone to grab their wallet before their kid, cause you can just impregnate your wife again later if the kid dies.