My fellow cali peeps...

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
+1

As soon as I put an animal in a cage, I assume 100% responsibility for its wellbeing.
If you just view your T's as various species to hoard and not as a pet, then yes it can be replaced. But I don't have a collection, I have an extended family.

Now if the house is litterally crumbling to the ground, I'm jumping out the nearest window asap, lol. But if I have a chance to grab anything, the animals come first, then the possesions like clothes, wallet, documents, etc. Possesions are what can be replaced, lives cannot. That would be like telling someone to grab their wallet before their kid, cause you can just impregnate your wife again later if the kid dies.
Thank You;)

I love my tarantulas dearly so replacing them will be hard for me...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am amazed at some of the replies I have read...

I mean, we, as humans, place these bugs in a container. One that they can not escape. (Well some that cant escape, as many escape threads as I have seen lately...)

So, why shouldnt we put a bugs life, before our own, our family, or even our dogs/cats?

Well, lets see...

Its a BUG!

I do care for my spiders, really, I do... But come on. Lets be reasonable.

When your sick, does your T climb out of its enclosure to comfort you?
When you are upset, does your T climb out of its enclosure to cheer you up?

You know, I am sure I could list more reasons. But, why?

Yeah, we do place these critters in an enclosure, for our enjoyment.
But, why would you put something as a high priority, in a life or death situation, when that thing in question, couldnt careless if it lives or dies?

Oh, I would knock my 4 year old neice flat on her back to save my G. rosea... :rolleyes:

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I am amazed at some of the replies I have read...

I mean, we, as humans, place these bugs in a container. One that they can not escape. (Well some that cant escape, as many escape threads as I have seen lately...)

So, why shouldnt we put a bugs life, before our own, our family, or even our dogs/cats?

Well, lets see...

Its a BUG!

I do care for my spiders, really, I do... But come on. Lets be reasonable.

You know, I am sure I could list more reasons. But, why?

Yeah, we do place these critters in an enclosure, for our enjoyment.
But, why would you put something as a high priority, in a life or death situation, when that thing in question, couldnt careless if it lives or dies?

Oh, I would knock my 4 year old neice flat on her back to save my G. rosea... :rolleyes:
:? :wall: :wall:

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry if I opened up a can of worms, but it's important to see that while we hold tarantulas very dearly to us, obviously one's own life is more important, and even dogs and cats rationally should be more important. Like other people who posted, a cat or dog has much more personality than a tarantula, and recognizes you as an owner, recognizes affection, etc. Having taken biology last year, tarantulas possess a very simple nervous system, just head ganglia - a bunch of nerves positioned near the head that just detect pain/negative stimuli or positive stimuli. While you may love your tarantulas to death, all they care about is basic animalistic needs - food, shelter, water, and mating.
For those who believe that T's come first no matter what, I admire your devotion to these beautiful arachnids. Just my 0.02

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The thought of a pinktoe coming over and climbing up onto your shoulder and nuzzling its butt on your neck is kind of cute...until your neck starts burning from the rash it just caused.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
The thought of a pinktoe coming over and climbing up onto your shoulder and nuzzling its butt on your neck is kind of cute...until your neck starts burning from the rash it just caused.
Or when it starts shooting poo at you {D

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My family always comes first only and they are my top priority.The critters besides the family dog are just a real passionate hobby of mine.Critters CAN be replaced,family can not.Glad I do not have to worry about earth quakes.But If I did and had one,I would have to shoot to kill of few of my HOTS if they got out to not be responsible and allowing others be hurt by a couple of them.It would sadden my but I do not want someone getting hurt for things I choose to keep.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was just wondering if anyone had a set-up specifically for these type of situations.
Mine is now. I actually lost a female P.irminia in just a little quake. Shelf was loose even though it had held for years. :( Other irminia female was protected in her plastic pot. The P.pulcher slings only got buried and were OK.

Nothing too heavy in the enclosures, secure shelf and the majority of even the arboreals have a lot of substrate to burrow. Nothing much else I can do. Family, friends and my dogs and birds come first before the spiders. Sorry to say but some life decisions are never fun.

lotusracer

Arachnopeon
In Orange County- no big deal. Temperatures are fine and if not I can run something in my fireplace to warm the place up. Since we're talking local effect for an earthquake I'll assume that some kind of social infrastructure is in place or is actively being replaced and that if not immediately available locally, crickets will be available for delivery by any number of methods they are on any other day even if I have to take delivery to a different address. Even the little spiders, if fed sufficiently on a regular basis, can easily go a couple weeks without food.
The human effect (and the reptile effect) will be far greater than the spider effect.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have the luxury of not living anywhere close to my family or cats so i'd probably be able to snag one or two of my bugs that live in small, lightweight enclosures if i needed to. i'd make sure my roomates were safe and grab my important paperwork and laptop, as well as survival items first, obviously. i have a box of keepsakes that i'd grab way before any of my bugs though. letters, art projects, small trinkets, stuff that i wouldn't be able to replace or recreate.

with that said, if i did bring any of them... i don't own any truly worth anything spectacular so i'd probably grab my pulchripes and a. gigas because they are right by the door to my room.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I have to say i would give my whole collection to the fire before i put anyones life or my own at risk.

I would take comfort knowing I sacrificed them to to even attempt to save a human or my dog. Even if that person i tried to save lived a long life and was days away from deaths door. Even the cat (who i cant stand) will have his place above the Ts.

If you dont value your own life or ANY human life over your spiders, you need to get out of the house more. It would be selfish to try to save your spiders. They dont care about you, only you about them.

I do care for and treat my spiders well but i dont cry when they die..

Why dont i see people like this try to save roaches and start feeding there B. "vegans" some salad? Following your logic, they are just about as meaningful as any other life, correct? Just my 2 cents.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try to imagine what one in Japan did one week ago...... Your own survival and safety of the people iss first and important than other things.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
I don't think anyone said anything about saving your spiders before your family. The point I and others were trying to make was that we would grab our T's before our clothes or personal possesions or other replaceables. T's cannot be replaced- you can get a new one of the same species, but some of us actually view our bugs as members of our family & not just "specimens" to collect. Taking this into account, just like our human family, I would never place my personal poissesions before the T's lives. I think its kinda sad how some people view their pets as simple possesions, and even rank them lower than other possesions/merchandise. No animal should be something that you just hoard in a collection just for the sake of having them. These are living creatures.

Obviously people would come before the T's, but the T's come before inanimate objects and personal property, no matter how expensive that propety is(for me anyway).
As far as people saying that you shouldn't care about your T's because they don't care about you.....really? Of course they don't feel the same way about us, they are spiders, what do you expect. You can't force an animal into a cage and then decide to value it's life less just because it doesn't somehow serve you, thats just selfish.

All I'm saying is that they are living creatures that we have taken on the responsibility of ensuring their wellbeing. Once we force them out of their natural lives and into our human world for our benefit, they lose all ability to fend for themselves & must rely on us to stay safe and healthy. We at least owe that to them. If this doesn't suit you, then maybe a new hobby is in order- one that doesn't involve animals.

King Leonidas

Arachnopeon
I don't think anyone said anything about saving your spiders before your family. The point I and others were trying to make was that we would grab our T's before our clothes or personal possesions or other replaceables. T's cannot be replaced- you can get a new one of the same species, but some of us actually view our bugs as members of our family & not just "specimens" to collect. Taking this into account, just like our human family, I would never place my personal poissesions before the T's lives. I think its kinda sad how some people view their pets as simple possesions, and even rank them lower than other possesions/merchandise. No animal should be something that you just hoard in a collection just for the sake of having them. These are living creatures.

Obviously people would come before the T's, but the T's come before inanimate objects and personal property, no matter how expensive that propety is(for me anyway).
As far as people saying that you shouldn't care about your T's because they don't care about you.....really? Of course they don't feel the same way about us, they are spiders, what do you expect. You can't force an animal into a cage and then decide to value it's life less just because it doesn't somehow serve you, thats just selfish.

All I'm saying is that they are living creatures that we have taken on the responsibility of ensuring their wellbeing. Once we force them out of their natural lives and into our human world for our benefit, they lose all ability to fend for themselves & must rely on us to stay safe and healthy. We at least owe that to them. If this doesn't suit you, then maybe a new hobby is in order- one that doesn't involve animals.
+1

I agree with you 100%;)

Many are choosing "favorites" instead of being neutral.:?

This is a Tarantula Forum, If many don't cherish their T's then why continue to buy them?:wall: