My enclosure has a screen on the top, how can i fix this?

jamie2112

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and a brand new parent to a Brachypelma albopilosum. I bought an enclosure that has a screen on the top, not knowing that it's not a good idea and I don't want my T's feet to get stuck. So far my T. hasn't done a lot of moving around and I'm trying to leave him alone so he can de-stress, but I'm worried that he'll try to explore and get stuck when I'm not around to help. Is there a quick way to prevent him from getting his feet stuck while also allowing him to breathe?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah, you can buy a piece of acrylic from Home Depot or somewhere similar, then melt/ drill holes in it for airflow. Much safer- they won't get stuck in the mesh and fall.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Buy acrylic sheet-cut to size
Drill holes
Mount on lid

If you have ExoTerra there’s stupidtube and a thread for this. But considering we can’t read minds no way to know because you left out info

Behavior Dog

Arachnopeon
You say you're new to this forum and have a new acquisition, but I don't know if you're new to the hobby. If so, welcome aboard.

As mentioned above, probably the best/easiest way to deal with this issue is to cut a sheet of acrylic to size and mount it to the lid. The manufacturer of the enclosure may come into play, as it might be necessary to remove the screen before mounting the acrylic. There's acrylic that's clear, which makes for better viewing from the top, and also sheet plastic that's somewhat milkier, if viewing from this angle isn't a concern.

1) Buy desired material.
2) Cut to size. I prefer to use a circular saw with a metal blade, but several other options would work. If you don't want to use or don't have access to power tools, you can pick up a plexiglass cutter for about $6. You'll also need a hard straight edge
for this method.
3) Lay out and drill holes for ventilation. I drill 1/8" - 3/16" holes every 1 1/2" - 2". It's important to note that there are drill bits made specifically for drilling acrylic/plexiglass. These have a smaller chance of cracking the material than bits designed for
metal, but even then, don't apply too much pressure. In effect, let the weight of the drill determine the force as much as possible. NOTE: If leaving the mesh lid on, it's important to make the holes smaller than the spider's leg, otherwise you still run
the risk of your T getting caught up. Some keepers use a soldering iron to melt holes.
4) Clean off any pieces of acrylic still hanging on.
5) Secure acrylic. Silicone works well for this. I allow at least 3 days for the silicone to set up and stop giving off fumes. If leaving the mesh on, place the acrylic below the screen, so that the climbing T encounters the hard barrier before the mesh. In the meantime, you can use a piece of cardboard, with holes, taped into place as a temporary measure.
6) Don't hesitate to check out you-tube. I believe The Tarantula Collective has a video on this topic.

Last edited:

jamie2112

Arachnopeon
You say you're new to this forum and have a new acquisition, but I don't know if you're new to the hobby. If so, welcome aboard.

As mentioned above, probably the best/easiest way to deal with this issue is to cut a sheet of acrylic to size and mount it to the lid. The manufacturer of the enclosure may come into play, as it might be necessary to remove the screen before mounting the acrylic. There's acrylic that's clear, which makes for better viewing from the top, and also sheet plastic that's somewhat milkier, if viewing from this angle isn't a concern.

1) Buy desired material.
2) Cut to size. I prefer to use a circular saw with a metal blade, but several other options would work. If you don't want to use or don't have access to power tools, you can pick up a plexiglass cutter for about $6. You'll also need a hard straight edge
for this method.
3) Lay out and drill holes for ventilation. I drill 1/8" - 3/16" holes every 1 1/2" - 2". It's important to note that there are drill bits made specifically for drilling acrylic/plexiglass. These have a smaller chance of cracking the material than bits designed for
metal, but even then, don't apply too much pressure. In effect, let the weight of the drill determine the force as much as possible. NOTE: If leaving the mesh lid on, it's important to make the holes smaller than the spider's leg, otherwise you still run
the risk of your T getting caught up. Some keepers use a soldering iron to melt holes.
4) Clean off any pieces of acrylic still hanging on.
5) Secure acrylic. Silicone works well for this. I allow at least 3 days for the silicone to set up and stop giving off fumes. If leaving the mesh on, place the acrylic below the screen, so that the climbing T encounters the hard barrier before the mesh. In the meantime, you can use a piece of cardboard, with holes, taped into place as a temporary measure.
6) Don't hesitate to check out you-tube. I believe The Tarantula Collective has a video on this topic.
thank you so much! i’m sure this question comes up a ton but this is my first T. and i was sort of panicking and thinking “oh god no he’s gonna get stuck and die when i’m at work!” so I rushed onto here. i really appreciate your detailed reply, i was having trouble finding a detailed tutorial on how to do this.

Behavior Dog

Arachnopeon
thank you so much! i’m sure this question comes up a ton but this is my first T. and i was sort of panicking and thinking “oh god no he’s gonna get stuck and die when i’m at work!” so I rushed onto here. i really appreciate your detailed reply, i was having trouble finding a detailed tutorial on how to do this.
Glad to help, and again, welcome to the hobby. These fascinating creatures have a way of pulling you in, so this could well be the first of many Ts you'll own. If you're just getting your feet wet, here are some things to know.
1) There are numerous you-tube channels of varying respectability. Tom Moran of Tom's Big Spiders is well regarded, and there's also good information on The Tarantula Collective (of course, everyone has their own opinions, and it's likely my even mentioning either of these will subject me to the slings and arrows of outrageous flamers). Both of these have basic husbandry videos, as well as species-specific videos.
2) Posting here, or on any forum, can be invaluable, but you can also expect comments that are less than helpful. You'll be told that what you're doing is wrong, but won't be told how to make it right. People may find your knowledge lacking, then proceed to beat you over the head with that fact. There seems to be a misconception that those more experienced should just drop a snarky comment rather than extend a hand to those who come after. This certainly doesn't apply to all, most, or even a considerable portion of members, but it is certainly noticeable. The tragedy of the internet, I suppose.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Well since everyone said acrylic, but the post seems to be continuing with answers, I’ll beat the horse too:

Welcome to the hobby!

Cut out the wiring and replace it with a thick hard plastic sheet like material, sometimes called plexiglass, or a word that I can’t think of that begins with an A, gosh it’s on the tip of my tongue..................

ezpz

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
What kind of terrarium?

Just remember to house the tarantula in a temp home for 24 hours and put the lid in another room whilst the silicone cures.

that looks like way too much work. Just cut thicker Plexiglas and it will drop right in

self made SafeTLid 2.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
that looks like way too much work. Just cut thicker Plexiglas and it will drop right in
Way too much work using a bit of silicone? Really? And for exo terra's it's the only way really. Plus it's phenomenal as you can leave the mesh in.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sorry, idiot was harsh, I take that back, but time will tell if he/she earns that title!
@viper69 is a sound bloke. No nonsense or filler. Just straight answers. The direct route. I myself like that although some find it too cutting. But that's on them.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Way too much work using a bit of silicone? Really? And for exo terra's it's the only way really. Plus it's phenomenal as you can leave the mesh in.
Exoterras have a lip the lid sits on and typically 4 side Rotating D Locks. Cut the appropriate thickness Plexiglas (with holes) to fit on the lip and still use the existing locks.
I should have a sample in less than a week