My Emperor Scorpion Just Gave Birth: Need Advice

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So my emperor I got from Petco gave birth. I was wondering why she was so fat! Lol

So now do I just chill until the babies come of her back and then separate them from their mom and start feeding them?

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Yes, disturb her as little as possible. Some people say feed the female at this time, some say feed freshly killed prey others say no food at all. Personally I would add a crippled or killed feeder only if she would usually be ready to be fed and hadn't eaten for a while.
The babies won't eat while on the mothers back, once they moult they will start to leave the mother for short periods eventually finding a hidey hole and leaving her for good. This is when you will need to find them and give them separate housing.
If your enclosure allows you can add sphagnum moss here and there so that it is easy for the babies to find shelter when the time comes, it also makes it easier to find them when you want to move them.
The main thing atm is not to disturb the mother too much until the babies have all left her.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wait, ....you found an imperator at Petco? That was a pretty good find. What do they go for at Petco?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is it a true Pandinus imperator or is it a Heterometrus spp. being marketed as an "Emperor" ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@darkness975 is my info sound? I don't have first hand experience with the species. Thanks :)
Like Dave said , leave her be so as not to risk any complications with the babies .

Once they molt and start leaving her back you can separate them into their own containers and feed them.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darkness975 it is the emperor. The claws are round and have hair on them. The claws (or pincers) totally different from my Asian forest scorpion’s when compared, and the emperor is bigger.

Aragorn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like Dave said , leave her be so as not to risk any complications with the babies .

Once they molt and start leaving her back you can separate them into their own containers and feed them.
Thank you for the advice.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Here is a picture.
They look good.

Not trying to sound OCD though, but you should refrain from lifting up the hide any more until the babies dismount from her back. Don't want to stress her and have her start eating them.

Georgia B

Arachnosquire
I know exactly what you should do. You should wait til a couple of them are big enough, then sell them to me. For real. Please. PM me.