My elusive albo

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Guys. Just wanted to ask if its ok for me to force my Albopilosum out of the shelter he/she dug underneath the tree bark I gave it. Its because I would have loved to always see him/her walk around for appreciation. But its always inside the cave he/she made. I only get to see her for a few seconds when she tries to grab the mealworm I put right outside his cave...

Please advise if its ok...

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
KABABAYAN!!

i don't place hides for most of my desert species. (not on purpose thought, i just dont have the time!!)

they seem to be doing well...

i fact, they same happy in their enclosures where besides the substrate, is completely bare...

barkobarko

Arachnopeon
me too, i got my albo a month ago and two weeks after he/she starts to dig, from that day onwards i seldom see him/her, she only goes out when hungry i guess :D , but as of now shes staying on the mouth of her burrow:rolleyes:

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think it's ok to force him/her out.. but he/she will be much happier the way it is now!!

Mine likes to burrow also.. and I rarely see it at all..

:D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. albos dig burrows. Digging is what they do. I think all B. albos were bulldozers drivers in past lives.
How big is your albo? When they are little they have a tendency to be pet holes. When the get bigger they are out and visible a lot more.
I wouldn't dig it out, the chance of hurting it is pretty large doing that.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Happy T's are healthy T's...leave it alone until it chooses to be visible. If you value your pet, that is...:cool: My albo never comes out - I put black construction paper on the sides of the enclosure, so it thinks it's in it's burrow and private; and view it when I like. Try that!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My biggest albopilosum is only about 2". It had a little burrow when very small but doesn't bhide now at all. If i squirt (a stream, not mist) water anywhere on the substate it attacks as if it were prey. perhaps you could use this to lure yours out into the open instead of forcing it. Or you could just let it do it's thing and probably be happier.

Also, whenever i even touch it's water dish my chopsticks recieve the most vicious attack i've seen from any spider. That includes the H. lividum, E. murinus and N. chromatus. Don't mess with a curly's water, you may pay with a finger!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehehehe....albo's definately are the Brachys with tude! :D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
etown: Wow that is one weird curlyhair! Mine is about that size and skittish, but never aggressive. My B. vagans on the other hand will throw a small threat display when taunted. I almost got nailed trying to convince him/her to eat a mealworm...reared up and aimed for my fingers instead of the worm.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that little albo "Gonzo' will eat anything i throw in there on the first bounce. It is the feistiest little bastard i know. It's cute now but if the behavior persists it's going to be a serious handful at 5"+. For now it makes a nice demonstration for friends. I can always count on the lil guy to put on a show for guests.

Most of my t's want nothing to do with mealworms or superworms. Only the albo, chaco and the parahybana will take them. The other 13 are like "get this crap outta my face!"

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Funny. I bought some mealworms to try to give my T's some variety. So far, everyone has eaten them(not saying much, I've only got 3 T's). My vagans is the most aggressive eater. Fun to watch exploding out of the substrate for a cricket.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Sounds like my Aphonopelma seemanni. I NEVER see that dude. Sometimes when he moves his burrow around, I can see him through the sides of the tank, but that's it.

worm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you know on a simalar note i got to ask and i know this is a loaded question but what is with some of you guys like "gagamboy" that have these small enclosures....i know the spiders seem happy and all but thats just boring....we had our skeleton in a simalar but small cricket container when we first got her and i felt bad....everytime shed grab a cricket and do the web dance thing she would run into the walls and bump into things...like a fat man in little coat syndrome...lol

now on the other hand some t's seem like they could care less for space, I had a p.murinus in a 10gal tank and it only used about 2 thirds of it.

so thats all could think to say about that

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Think about this, Ts spend a lot of time in their burrows, even dragging prey in there to eat, and also molting in it where its safer. When a T emerges from a burrow they will stop a short distance away to wait for prey, so they can dart back into the burrow if they feel threatened. Ive read posts of where a very large enclosure seems to make some Ts nervous, others not.
Lsrge enclosures allow lots of creativity in decoration, and make nice displays, but that doesnt mean smaller ones (within reason, they need some room, no one likes to see a large T in an enclosure they can barely turn around in), are somehow detrimental to a T.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
B. albos dig burrows. Digging is what they do. I think all B. albos were bulldozers drivers in past lives.
How big is your albo? When they are little they have a tendency to be pet holes. When the get bigger they are out and visible a lot more.
I wouldn't dig it out, the chance of hurting it is pretty large doing that.
Hi. Its barely over an inch in legspan. I guess after reading all the posts, I rest convinced to let it be and hopefully as it gets bigger, the confidence to come out in the open will develop...

Thanks for all your reactions, guys!!!

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
KABABAYAN!!

i don't place hides for most of my desert species. (not on purpose thought, i just dont have the time!!)

they seem to be doing well...

i fact, they same happy in their enclosures where besides the substrate, is completely bare...

QUOTE]

Hi Gagamboy... Erick? Anyway, I would like my Ts to enjoy a "simulated" natural environment. So the first thing I did after getting my stocks is to go to the nearby glass supply to have them create their new cages. Then I got some cleaned tree bark from a dead avocado tree which fit in perfectly as a shelter. As much as I would love to interact with them, I also love to see them behave in a natural way...

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
me too, i got my albo a month ago and two weeks after he/she starts to dig, from that day onwards i seldom see him/her, she only goes out when hungry i guess :D , but as of now shes staying on the mouth of her burrow:rolleyes:
i think it's ok to force him/her out.. but he/she will be much happier the way it is now!!

Mine likes to burrow also.. and I rarely see it at all..

:D
Happy T's are healthy T's...leave it alone until it chooses to be visible. If you value your pet, that is...:cool: My albo never comes out - I put black construction paper on the sides of the enclosure, so it thinks it's in it's burrow and private; and view it when I like. Try that!
Thanks, guys. I guess I don't have a special case, and that my Albo is just being his natural self, which I prefer. Good to know also that its an indication of a happy T.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My biggest albopilosum is only about 2". It had a little burrow when very small but doesn't bhide now at all. If i squirt (a stream, not mist) water anywhere on the substate it attacks as if it were prey. perhaps you could use this to lure yours out into the open instead of forcing it. Or you could just let it do it's thing and probably be happier.

Also, whenever i even touch it's water dish my chopsticks recieve the most vicious attack i've seen from any spider. That includes the H. lividum, E. murinus and N. chromatus. Don't mess with a curly's water, you may pay with a finger!
etown: Wow that is one weird curlyhair! Mine is about that size and skittish, but never aggressive. My B. vagans on the other hand will throw a small threat display when taunted. I almost got nailed trying to convince him/her to eat a mealworm...reared up and aimed for my fingers instead of the worm.

hmmm... probably a personality difference among species. But from what I read, Albos are generally docile... well, I hope mine turns out to be a nice kid someday...

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine is a pet rock, and never comes out fo her flower pot unless i dig her out for a peek