My Easter Surprise

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh my God. I can't believe it. About 2 hours ago I was doing some last minute upkeeping with my Tarantulas and I noticed that my Pinktoe Pandora was in the process of molting. Needless to say I was and still am a basketcase. I'm feeling like those fathers in the old cartoons anxiously awaiting the arrival of their babies. My main worries are thast she might be missing a leg or something. So far it looks like she has all of her appendages but she is pretty scrunched up with her rear legs stretching out and her front legs scrunched close to her body. It looks to me as though she's gained one inch in length too. But in a week I should know the results of her molt. In the meantime I will be a complete basketcase.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats!!!

and it's easter huh? man... passovers not even over yet! Damn, its already that time of year...

anyways, good luck and POST SOME DAMN PICS :)
\
peace,
dave

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
Congrats!!!

and it's easter huh? man... passovers not even over yet! Damn, its already that time of year...

anyways, good luck and POST SOME DAMN PICS :)
\
peace,
dave
As soon as Pandora has hardened up and is active again I'll post pictures. I just hope she has all of her appendages. My waking nightmare is to have a T molt and lose an appendage. :eek:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why is that your waking nightmare? it does happen and the more T's you have the chances of that happening go up --

it's no big deal.. they're still the same T, just minus a leg :)

it happens in the wild also .. just part of the whole life-thing!

peace,
dave :)

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just prefer a T with all of its appendages I guess. I think it looks odd to have a T witrh a full set of 4 on one side and only 3 on the other. I guess it could be a lady thing. I just do not like to see my T's without a full set of legs. I'm just glad my 7 legged Juvie OBT will get her appendage back after she molts the next time.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just checked on Pandora and I think she lost an appendage. I can't confirm this but I can't come up even when I count her legs. I'm hoping it's just tucked up front with the other legs. I guess I can take comfort in knowing this won't be Pandora's last molt and that she'll regenerate another leg the next time of indeed she did lose an appendage.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Even with adults, as long as their not mature males, they will continue to regenerate limbs during molts. My mature Chilean Rose, and old girl, was missing a leg when I purchased her. After I had her a year, she molted and regenerated the limb. It was pretty small and useless, but there regardless. She then surprised me and molted 4 months later and has a fully functional limb, just smaller than the others. I thin with her next molt (probably June) she will regenerate it entirely. Not bad considering her size/age, a total of about 26 months.
In any case, if she does lose a leg, she should still be fine with eating and getting around and such.
Ralph

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hope everything works out good with pandora. It's hard to say what will happen during a molt, this week was good and bad for me. Today, my P. formosa molted and everything turned out good. But a few days ago my red phase G. rosea molted and got two legs stuck and ended up losing them both, but it's a she and they will eventually regenerate.

It's part of nature, but it really sucks when it goes wrong.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for all the support guys. I think she's missing a front leg. But she won't let me get a good look yet. I'll find out sooner or later I guess.