My Dynastes tityus story

billrogers

Arachnoknight
Well I thought I would share my story for how I got my original D. tityus female.

In 2012 I was at a young men's camp put on by my church that lasted three days. The campground we were at had a lot of forests around making it a good habitat. After the first night there when I got up someone had found a female D. tityus that came to a light during the night. Let me just say here that I had dreamed of finding one of these for years so I was beyond excited to see it. Somehow I ended up with the beetle (probably because I knew what it was). Well, I still had two days at a camp and I had to figure out how to keep her alive. That day we were going on a hike so I put her in a drinking cup with some dirt and brought her with me. I am still surprised that she did not die from the trauma she must have gone though those first few days, she barely fit in the cup! That night I made a home for her with cardboard and duck tape. Because I couldn't bring it in the cabin with watermelon in it, I put her box underneath and behind the cabin. While I was at the camp I also struck up a deal with on of the food ladies so she would give me pieces of watermelon to feed the beetle. After that, I carried the beetle around by putting her box in a bag that I took with me. I didn't take my eyes off that bag lol. Eventually, when I got home, for the first night I put her box into an empty drawer until I could set up a better long term container. In the morning she had broke through a corner of her box and was sitting on top of it. I am soooooo glad she waited until her night in my house to break free, otherwise she would have been gone and I would not have my D. tityus today. She laid about 10 eggs for me which matured in 2014. Her children laid eggs which are now all L3 larvae (and 1 pupa!).

That's my crazy story do any of you have one to share?

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I've always wanted to raise Dynastes tityus or pretty much any other stag/rhino/flower beetle species. I have only held a live rhino beetle specimen twice, once when a friend of mine brought over a large male he found at a tennis court, and another time at a natural history museum where I got to see 2 large males fight one another. The only thing that gets me about raising them is that the larvae take forever to mature and you always need decayed wood for them, which is a pain (at least for me) to make/collect. They have always been one of my favorites!

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Love it. :D Great job too, by the way, with her and her offspring.

Teaching nature class at my camp in Wisconsin means that I'll always be accumulating animal stories from up there! We have wonderful diversity of insects and herps, and the kids always fall in love with the creatures we find as well as the ones I bring. Camp's where my hermit crab developed his persisting love of chocolate, and also where the first non-me people held my huntsman spider. It's where I found out that Dytiscus diving beetles have a pretty wicked bite, found a home for a turtle who'd lost his two front legs, and brought one kid from arachnophobia to rescuing harvestmen from the fire pit. Such good times...