My desert hairy is too fat?...

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
Being from Az and having desert hairy scorps all over in my backyard I'll say its incredibly arid over summer usually less than 20% humidity I'm sure its more humid in the burrows though

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Being from Az and having desert hairy scorps all over in my backyard I'll say its incredibly arid over summer usually less than 20% humidity I'm sure its more humid in the burrows though
During the monsoon season, July to Aug you can have humidity much higher. Like you said the burrows can be much more humid.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea but it really doesnt stay humid long out here and they seem most active over summer
There's a lot more to Arizona than Pheonix. ;) Anyways the average yearly humidity is around 31% in Phoenix. That's a yearly average. The morning average is a round 50% year round. The monsoon season will raise the humidity to over 50% for basically a few months. Now take a burrow that is a foot underground and the humidity is probably much higher. Other parts of the state are much higher. Tucson has a more humid climate than Pheonix.

I do a lot of rock flipping in the Superstition Mts east of Apachee Junction. They get snow in winter. The melt water will keep the soil damp for nearly the 3 months. I've had one H.a. molt in my care and it molted in early September, at the end of the monsoon. When the humidity is near its highest average.

The only reason I'm making saying anything about this is that in my opinion, Sahara like conditionds are one of the real reasons that this species has such a bad reputation of dieing during molt.

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is going to molt, so it is supposed to look that way...

Those popular books :rolleyes:

I have been keeping and breeding scorpions for 18 years and never had one die from overeating (also because they are not overfed I must say)....
Same here - thanks Michiel!