My Dainty P. imperator

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I can't get over how dainty and well mannered my little guy is. He wants nothing to do with hunting at all and wants me to tong feed him. Then, he very slowly and gently takes the food from the tongs and eats it.
I am expecting him to grab at it and he never does... it often looks like he doesn't want it at all and then he takes hold of it and starts eating after I hold it in front of him for sometimes as long as a couple of minutes.
Or is there something wrong with him? I have read other posts by people saying that they have always had to tong feed their Emperors, but I am just not used to this behaviour. I'm used to tarantulas either attacking their food like linebackers or not wanting it at all.
I don't think I should be concerned, but I worry anyway.
Here he is with tonight's dinner.
_DSC7393-2.jpg

Ran

Arachnoknight
Ha! VanessaS, he has got you wrapped around his little pinky (chela)! :)...smart boy!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aren't they cool? They were getting a bad rap for a while, I think because they used to be so inexpensive that people took them for granted. I'll never forget the first time I saw one in a pet store, it was probl 1978 or 79, for $29, I couldn't believe my eyes, a teenager, I bought it without asking my parents but they were OK with it. My dad didn't really like it but I was able to keep it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
As much as I always respected them they used to be a bit intimidating, but once I started doing research that feeling quickly went away. I fell in love with him instantly and he is just the nicest little dude ever. Very different from the tarantulas and just as awesome in his own way.
I really like him a lot. I wish they lived longer. I have read different lifespan ranges from different places - what has your experience been with lifespans of males of this species?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh yeah that's the one that looks like it's not mature yet, prob one more molt to go so it's a yungun. Could live 3-5 more years I guess, can never tell for sure of course.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Average lifespans for emps is usually about 8 years....I know someone with a large female that is a bit over 12 years old....still alive today. I'm sure she is the exception to the rule.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thank you. I've read 6-8 years, but the websites didn't specify whether that was in the wild or in captivity. I guess that is the captivity age range.
Wow, a 12 year old - that is one very old scorpion. I hope that I'm lucky enough to have my guy around for top end of his range.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Just looked at your photo thread and from what Galapoheros said about the difference between emps and dictators is the triangle on the top of the cephalothorax...from the angle of your photo, Marcus looks to be a dictator. Try and get a close up of the triangle...might be a female dictator...maybe.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Here is a closeup I got last night while he was out and about exploring that shows that area well.
_DSC7448-2.jpg
And here is the photo that I managed to get of his underside.
_DSC7068-2.jpg

Ran

Arachnoknight
Good photo...but, alas, Marcus is a Pandinus imperator and, not a dictator. The triangle on his carapace is quite thick and wide whereas a dicators triangle is much thinner. Enjoy him :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Good photo...but, alas, Marcus is a Pandinus imperator and, not a dictator. The triangle on his carapace is quite thick and wide whereas a dicators triangle is much thinner. Enjoy him :)
That is such good news! I was going to be disappointed if he wasn't a P. imperator after all. I love him lots and am enjoying spending time learning about him. I am already on to him and when he likes to venture out of his burrow to take his secret nightly strolls around - sneaky devil he is. You can almost set your watch to him.
Thank you!
_DSC7457-2.jpg