My Curly hair T has fallen

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
My Curly hair T has fallen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My curly hair T. took a fall in her vervarium. about 12inchs really not high.
but she landed upside down. and she turned herself over very quickly.
she must have give herself a bit of a fright. and a bang, she could have banged herself flipping over like she did after.
iam hoping nothings wrong. BUT. ive been watching her.
and since the fall ive noticed she has been drumbing 3 of her legs.
if you understand. tapping them. i thought maybe this is a trick they use to get the crickets to come out of hiding or something.
i dont know. am new to owning Ts. But ive noticed she keeps lifting 3 legs up and down all 3 at different times like if you was tapping the desk with 3 of your fingers. then ive noticed her rubbing 2 of her legs together.
the same legs that she seems to drum and tap with. first 3 legs on 1 side an not the back 1.
never seen her do that before an i am just concerned.
seen her fall off the glass a couple of times now, an each time she does it i try an clear room so if she falls again she wont hit anything, she always seems to fall in the same place. glass looks clean. odd.
But am concerned this time because when i looked at one of the legs she was lifting it up high. when the leg was at its highest point in the air.
the legged looked to bend a little. an it didnt look normal.
i gently got her to walk around a little. an she looked ok. she walks with it ok.
but one of the legs did look a lilttle bent as she lifted it high up. the end of the leg 2 parts back seem to start to point in an odd direction not as striaght
sometimes it looked to drag just a little bit, but it may just be my eyes.
can anyone give me any advice please. Thanks.
Is there any behaviour where Tss like to rub there legs together its the first 3 legs not the last back one. maybe its just something they do. but i am new so not sure about it. Thanks.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Chasing you down, apparently.

I posted in the other thread, but is there any chance you could take a picture of the T's legs?

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
Chasing you down, apparently.

I posted in the other thread, but is there any chance you could take a picture of the T's legs?
[PREVIOUS REPLY]Wachusaynoob;If she HAD injured a leg, She would have essentially dropped it as t's can regenerate limbs.

It sounds as though she was cleaning her legs though- Was she rubbing them near her pedipalp(fang area)? And when did the fall happen?

If there's no sign of rupture anywhere, I think your T is fine. The fall could have stressed it out, so I would let it be for a day or two. Any chance you could post a picture of the "dragging leg"? ]

Its just when she walks not sure if i can get a picture of it but i will see what i can do.
it happened yesturday.
ive watched her washing before. didnt look as if she was washing herself this time. but she could be.
as she moved the 3 legs pretty fast as she drumbed them. an rubbed them together fast. an the one leg in question she held it high in the air on its own an then it looked to bend as she lifted it higher.
there is no sign of a rupture not that i have noticed i will keep an eye on her. when she washs ive watched her put her legs underr her mouth but she had them high in the air. i kept watching to see if i could see her washing herself but she just seem to be shaking her legs about Lol.
like she was drumbing the floor with them then rubbing them.
you may be right thou. she could just be washing i hope. :)
if i see her do it again. i will take a snap shot with the cam. Thanks for your help mate.

Last edited:

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
[/PHP]
i will try. YES. Wont be until later on today. THX
ok here are the pix you see the second leg from our right.
does that leg look alright. ? May be just me. cause she seems to fall off glass sometimes. am always worried shes going to hurt herself. what you think. ?

Attachments

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
She probably do not like her substrate or its too light in her enclosure that is why she is doing those behavior.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also I don't see anything wrong on her legs. the reason she probably do the legs thing is because she can see her own reflection thinking that its another tarantula that wants to mate with her and she is trying to be receptive. That thing happened to my Ts from time to time they just drum when they see their own reflection.

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
your t seems fine.

i have to agree with the whole reflection thing that Nevular said, my t's sometimes do that when i turn on the light.

what do you use as substrate? my curly seems to enjoy her peat moss allot more then the previous coco fiber i used:)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You NEED to fill the enclosure with more substrate. Twelve inches is way too far to fall, and if you don't put more substrate in, youre endangering your T. The substrate should be high enough so that if the front legs are touching the top, then the back legs should be on the ground. If correct this problem, then this incident will not happen again.

And at an earlier post, not all Ts will drop an injured leg.

Good luck.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Again I dont think you have anything to worry about. I DO agree that you should put a few more inches of substrate in the enclosure. With my t's I fill them with 50-75% substrate (though more is reccomended) Since yours is a tall glass tank, I would add about 6+ more inches. It will help prevent fatal falls from happening, And your T may start to burrow.

Best of luck!
-Anita

BillyG

Arachnopeon
My rose hair fell once too,I even heard the "bong",fortunately nothing went wrong,I picked her up immediatly and fed her an adult dubia,she caught it and everything still fine.Just be VERY VERY careful next time!

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
She's doing that because she is not happy and wants out... Probably because you have like 1 inch of substrate. Put in three or four more inches and she will most likely not do it anymore. If she still does she only has 7-8 inches to fall then :rolleyes: I might suggest keeping an eye out for them rocks to at least until she feels comfortable with the cage, if she fell on the corner of one of those you would not be soo lucky. Just my .02 though

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
is it druming its legs kinda like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKsStU1AVFI

if yes then its probably is seening the reflection in the clean glass you mention and is wanting to mate with it.
Sorry it took me a while to answer you guys back.
webbedone, yes i agree i thinnk she was seeing her reflection, i watched a few different Ts drumbing. She is female and i did watch what the female do with there legs. and it was very close to what i see her do. so thanks for putting my mind at ease guys.
thanks alot everybody.

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
She's doing that because she is not happy and wants out... Probably because you have like 1 inch of substrate. Put in three or four more inches and she will most likely not do it anymore. If she still does she only has 7-8 inches to fall then :rolleyes: I might suggest keeping an eye out for them rocks to at least until she feels comfortable with the cage, if she fell on the corner of one of those you would not be soo lucky. Just my .02 though
yes mate i have thought about that. i put the rock there cause thats where she falls. sounds silly now. but at the time i thought it will stop her falling so far.
am going to get her out tomorow. and get rid of the rocks i think.
Yes am going to get asome more substrate.
i definatly need more substrate i agree with you guys.
thanks alot guys.

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
You NEED to fill the enclosure with more substrate. Twelve inches is way too far to fall, and if you don't put more substrate in, youre endangering your T. The substrate should be high enough so that if the front legs are touching the top, then the back legs should be on the ground. If correct this problem, then this incident will not happen again.

And at an earlier post, not all Ts will drop an injured leg.

Good luck.
i will get it sorted out tomorow. i need to go buy some substrate. whats best for her. curly hair T.
i havnt had her long, and that is just how i got her.
i have to go out and buy some substrate. i will go out and get some asap.

trotskiii

Arachnopeon
ive moved out the rock all she can fall onto now is the substrate. an have made substrate thicker built it up where she falls and around the edges. cheers guys.