my collection- all dead sorry

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

this is my costa rican zebra T before his first molt(first molt owned by me i mean)

Black swallowtail tiger swallowtail and white admiral butterfly's

some kindof swamp dragonflies

Cicada, asian longhorn beetle, Kaydidid(sp?)

one of the highlights of my collection. forgot the name some tree burrowing wasp

another highlight is my cecorpia moth

borrowed*** from niagra conservatory it was already dead on a leaf.. so i took it.

store bought atlas moth the largest moth in the world

more store bought goodies. i hope to god that the T died of natural causes...

orb weaver

offspring:)))))))))))))

old ass water beetle and some wasps

caught most of my collection personally and framed them myself

what do you guys think

Last edited:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent collection. Very striking and colorful. There are other members here and even a recent thread dedicated to the discussion of pinning and preserving specimens.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I like!! I like the dragon flies!! Very nice... you STOLE a butterfly from a nigerian concervatory?? shame on you!

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry to hear you actually stole a specimen... what a jerk way to help the epistemology community. Unless it was in some kind of danger i think you probably shouldn't have posted that.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have some misID's in there. Your 'water beetle' is a Belostomatid genus Lethacerus. The beetle ID'd as Asian Longhorn isn't. The 'tree burrowing wasp' is genus Ichnuemon.

My biggest suggestion is how you spread the wings on your Leps. Look at how the store-bought ones compare to the ones you've spread personally. You should try to get the wings up higher. There are a lot of good websites detailing how to do it.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh be nice. it was dead on a leaf so i picked it up and carried it out. they would have thrown it out because the wing was clipped therefore unsellable. jeez

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nepenthes.. epistemology community???? Your attack wasn't warranted either. I do agree with the need for more ants however not a bad start, with a little practice on the lep mounts it will be very nice.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
sorry to hear you actually stole a specimen... what a jerk way to help the epistemology community.
reading comprehension is a good thing

Unless it was in some kind of danger i think you probably shouldn't have posted that.
I have never seen a dead creature in danger of anything except being buried, mangled, being eaten, or rotting...but since dead things don't care about these things (afaik anyway, i've never died so...*shrugs*), it's a moot point.

as he said, the wing was already damaged and would have been trashed most likely anyway. I suppose he could have pinned a $5 bill to the leaf he found it on as a form of payment, but I don't think it would have gone to the right people.

now...back on track, that is a nice collection :) However, I don't recall seeing any Aphonopelma seemani's (costa rican zebra) that were that color, are you sure that's an Aphonopelma? (maybe I'm wrong) The Aphonopelma species I recall seeing pictures of (and the adult female I own) were generally an earthy brown with slight tan colored hairs...there is a blue morph of the seemani's, but other than that......

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't recall seeing any Aphonopelma seemani's (costa rican zebra) that were that color, are you sure that's an Aphonopelma? (maybe I'm wrong) The Aphonopelma species I recall seeing pictures of (and the adult female I own) were generally an earthy brown with slight tan colored hairs...there is a blue morph of the seemani's, but other than that......
It's just really late in the moult cycle. My female was that color when I got her, then she turned bright blue after she moulted and now she's normal-ish (some matted hairs, but still blue black).

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
hmmm...must be a locale thing as mine always turns a really light shade of grey (aside from the tan hairs) right before a molt and afterwards takes on a dark greenish/bluish tint (been a while, that's what I recall it looking like lol...she's due for one maybe mid-late summer. molts once a year...maybe a lil less).

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beautiful displays! I'm learing now to mount bugs. I did a few that turned out well. Still having trouble getting grasshoppers to keep their color when dried though. Most of them turn black. Maybe I'll try the freezer method.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i had the browning problem with my mantis's but a little bit of hairsprey holds the colour really well.

my costa rican Zebra T is now black, it molted a few weeks ago

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never seen a dead creature in danger of anything except being buried, mangled, being eaten, or rotting...
Lol, fair comment!:)
Tis a nice collection,though it makes me wonder how many of those wer actually killed for displaying:(

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not nearly as many as we kill driving cars around and destroying habitat.