My Chilean Rose

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Chilean Rose has been acting funny the last couple of days. Within the the last four days my Chilean Rose has been acting like a burrowing spider. He has been diging tunnel after tunnel, he now has about three tunnels. Is this normal? is this right? These are good tunnels as well:confused:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BigSam,
Many T's burrow when their slings. Then after they grow, they stop. It may have to do with moisture, temp, security or pre-molt.
G. rosea's do things for no apparent reason. A few of its siblings have molted in the past couple days, so it may go into its burrow to molt.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by BigSam
My Chilean Rose has been acting funny the last couple of days. Within the the last four days my Chilean Rose has been acting like a burrowing spider. He has been diging tunnel after tunnel, he now has about three tunnels. Is this normal? is this right? These are good tunnels as well:confused:
I have a G. rosea who's made a very ambitious burrow, and others who have done little or no digging. It seems to be normal behavior for them, insofar as anything G. roseas do can be considered normal!

Joy

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least its doing something. My rosie is a pet rock most of the time. Sometimes she will be in the same spot without moving for over 24 hours.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
I don't really think anything can be considered "normal," for a G. Rosea. They all seem to have their own personality (er...tarantuality) and do their own thing. Mine is very moody. Just let it do its thing.:)

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
My Rosie does a really good impression of a pet rock to!:)
She just sits there for a good portion of the day, then just
as it starts to get dark, she moves out of her hide.
No digging here, but she has made a nice carpet of web all
over the bottom of the box. When I clean her box, she has a
fit! She won't even let me touch anything. I use tweezers to
pick out the junk and she displays like crazy!
I've tried to put my hand in (to clean) and she puts her front
legs on my hand, like she is trying to tell me, "DON'T TOUCH THAT!":rolleyes:
She's a wierd cookie for sure;P
I've tried to hold her and she'll have nothing to do with me....
I put my hand in front of her and nothing, she stands there
totally stiff, like she's affraid.......odd:(
The others like to come out of their boxes and it's hard to get them back in :p

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
dont underestimate the rosey!!!
mine doesnt burrow
i agree with rob mine is also very moody!-jason

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
totally normal for Grammostola rosea to burrow. In fact I think they are happier if given the opportunity to do so! They are an opportunistic burrower, so it IS their nature to burrow. I have had quite the elaborate burrows from this species in the past!

Take care,

Paul

kairo

Arachnopeon
my g. rosea loves her burrow. i usually have to help her start one, but after i start the digging, she'll continue digging for hours. they feel a lot more secure when they have a burrow to live in.