my children's children?

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well...i walked into my reptile room yesterday and caught my children's pythons doing the nasty:D...this is my first attempt at an actual breeding project so i'm fairly excited to see how things turn out:)

i'm thinking about letting things take their natural course with maternal incubation if she lays...does anyone have any suggestions for helping things along? also i've heard that baby children's pythons sometimes need to be assist fed...some will go directly to rodents but others might take some coaxing...any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

thanks guys:)

Harvey

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well...i walked into my reptile room yesterday and caught my children's pythons doing the nasty:D...this is my first attempt at an actual breeding project so i'm fairly excited to see how things turn out:)

i'm thinking about letting things take their natural course with maternal incubation if she lays...does anyone have any suggestions for helping things along? also i've heard that baby children's pythons sometimes need to be assist fed...some will go directly to rodents but others might take some coaxing...any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Harvey
if you sell these how much will it cost for a baby + shippin?

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
your not talking about force feeding are you???? if they refuse during this time it is common,my male common boa is 4 weeks now, even live doesn't do it.

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
your not talking about force feeding are you???? if they refuse during this time it is common,my male common boa is 4 weeks now, even live doesn't do it.
baby children's pythons do sometimes require force feeding to switch to rodents...children's pythons, spotted pythons, and anthill pythons are all members of the Antaresia genus and they are naturally selective lizard eaters...they're a whole different story than a boa constrictor which in the wild is naturally predisposed to eating rodents...some children's pythons will take to rodents right away but some will refuse food unless it's a lizard even after their first and second sheds...even with scenting...the breeder i got my adults from said that mouse tails are the best method and that once or twice is usually all it takes to get them on mice for the rest of their lives but i wanted to ask here to see if anyone has ever had to try it...

if you sell these how much will it cost for a baby + shippin?
well...my female is het for cinnamon so it'll depend on the phase of the babies...normal phase babies will be 150 + shipping...cinnamon phase will be 200+ shipping...so we'll have to see:)...hopefully she lays a decent size clutch...Antaresia sp. pythons are notorious for laying small clutches:(

but i'm optimistic:D

Harvey

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also i've heard that baby children's pythons sometimes need to be assist fed...some will go directly to rodents but others might take some coaxing...any suggestions on the best way to go about this?
Harvey
Having dealt with numerous non-feeders over the year I have yet to find a gentle way. Simplest is a pinkie pump, if you are planning to do this long term it may be the best as well. As a cheap skate I never got one even for the vipers. I always would just take the pinkie and push it into the mouth then using a new pencil eraser end push it down to the throat, after getting there massage was generally all that was needed to get it down the rest of the way. Be sure to watch, if the silly thing tries to regurg just continue the massage. I always offered the next meal before trying the force feeding again. At least these will be larger than the pencil sized corns or even smaller western hog-nosed that I usually dealt with. Good luck.

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
...children's pythons, spotted pythons, and anthill pythons are all members of the Antaresia genus and they are naturally selective lizard eaters...

well...my female is het for cinnamon so it'll depend on the phase of the babies...normal phase babies will be 150 + shipping...

but i'm optimistic:D

Harvey
How can you forget the stimson's pythons?
$150 for hatchling childrens? ouch

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How can you forget the stimson's pythons?
$150 for hatchling childrens? ouch
well i've never tried selling snakes before...i'm just going by prices that i usually see in ads along with how much i paid for mine (350 for a breeding pair)...if $150 isn't a fair price then i'll have to take another look...i'm not trying to screw anyone:)

Harvey