My centipede just ate apple

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
So I got the box with millipedes, woodlice and some other various critters in there. Since I started it I accidentally got a baby centipede into the box and could never catch it even when cleaning out the entire box (damn sneaky). So he's been living there for a few months now, never saw him eat but he was growing so I guess he probably ate some woodlouse babies or something. Today I put some slices of apple into the box and saw him munching on it! He was sitting right next to woodlice also enjoying the apple. I didn't know there's omnivore/veggie centipedes since I never really looked deeper into the species, someone here to confirm this?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
All centipedes are omnivores, just with predatory lifestyles. They don't need to eat greens, but doing so won't harm them.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
That's very cool, I didn't know! It was so weird seeing him sit there so peacefully enjoying the apple. Usually I see him running around in tunnels and not on the surface either. I like my accidental pet.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Awesome! Any idea what species of centipede?
I wish I knew, it's already impossible to take a picture of the lil guy cuz he's gone the second you shine a light on him. I also struggle finding a website with picture examples so I could compare...

He was found in Germany, not far from the Harz mountains, in a deciduous forest. He's red and between 2-3cm big at most.

Edit: @Chris LXXIX Wow chomping down on that meat like no tomorrow. There's not many inverts that scare me but those big centipedes are freaky nuggets.
Autocorrect said nuggets I'm leaving it :d

Last edited:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I wish I knew, it's already impossible to take a picture of the lil guy cuz he's gone the second you shine a light on him. I also struggle finding a website with picture examples so I could compare...

He was found in Germany, not far from the Harz mountains, in a deciduous forest. He's red and between 2-3cm big at most.

Edit: @Chris LXXIX Wow chomping down on that meat like no tomorrow. There's not many inverts that scare me but those big centipedes are freaky nuggets.
Autocorrect said nuggets I'm leaving it :d
Just from that description I'd risk a guess at a Lithobius sp., maybe forficatus. But that's just a guess.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have gotten centipedes that were uninterested in prey to feed by dripping some sugar solution on the prey first. Like many invertebrates, I suspect they won't pass up the opportunity to get some sugar in their diet.

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Well the lil one is lucky then, I open put left over peels or anything else that's growing on plants into the box because I know the millipedes and woodlice just love it. I may go out to the woods to collect some mushrooms soon, they will love it :) Especially the millis. Does anyone know if mushrooms poisonous to us are poisonous to them as well? I know a bunch of insects that don't give a heck but Idk about 'pedes, mine always get the same shrooms as me so I dunno.

Last edited:

Marika

Arachnoangel
There's a tiny centipede living in my A. tesselata enclosure and I just saw it eating apple. Cute! :happy:

Chris WT

Arachnosquire
Last night I gave my S. Dehaani a slice of apple and as soon as the lights went out he was all over it. I watched him eat it under red light so I wouldn't disturb the ritual. I suspect they eat fruit when its available because of the moisture just as much as the sugar