My carnivorous plant collection.

SEB

Arachnosquire
Some of the carnivorous plants I grow. I mostly grow Sarracenia hybrids and Dionea

IMG-20111001-00306.jpg IMG-20111001-00304.jpg IMG-20111001-00305.jpg IMG-20111001-00302.jpg IMG-20111001-00300.jpg

Tarantel

Arachnobaron
I like those sack ones. The venus flytraps (I think) are cool too.

bravesvikings20

Arachnosquire
No disrespect intended....do you ever worry about housing them outside like that? More so worried about passing people.

Ran

Arachnoknight
Beautiful! You have a wonderful green thumb! I'm good at raising lawns...thats all! I'm terrible with plants...:(

SEB

Arachnosquire
No disrespect intended....do you ever worry about housing them outside like that? More so worried about passing people.
I have a closed off third floor balcony, so I don't worry about people walking by unless they are 30 feet tall.

As for the plants being outside, that is where they belong. If you do your research, you will find that Sarracenia and Dionea are warm temperate plants that naturally occur in the South Eastern regions of the US. Some Serracenia are even found as far north as Canada and New Jersey. They do not belong in some hot steamy jungle or in a terrarium. My plants have been thriving for years outside. There are a couple exceptions where a terrarium would be necessary, such as Heliamphora and ultra highland Nepenthes. I do not keep either of these.

---------- Post added 11-19-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

Very cool!Did you grow them all from seeds?
-Chris
The Serracenia take a very long time to mature from seed. Ususally it takes about 5 to 6 years so it is much easier to acquire root cutting from other collectors and growers. Some of my Serracenia, not pictured, I had my friend tissue culture from seed for me. It is much faster growing from seed this way. Half of my Venus Flytraps are from seed. The other half are tissue cultured.

Last edited:

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow! awesome collection,hmm kinda thinking in getting into carniv.plants. so many variaties.

bigjej

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've experimented with some here and there but have not been able to find a good source. Mostly the basics from the HD' and lowes. Any recommendations for a good source as well as growing info?

SEB

Arachnosquire
I've experimented with some here and there but have not been able to find a good source. Mostly the basics from the HD' and lowes. Any recommendations for a good source as well as growing info?
As far as a good source on the internet for Venus Flytraps I would recommend www.flytrapcare.com

There are a lot of really well written articles on the culivation of Venus Flytraps as well as other carnivorous plants. For other carnivorous plants, I would visit the International Carnivorous Plant Society website. They have a really great forum with lots of good information.

If you are looking to purchase any, I would not recommend Lowes or Home Depot because they don't really know how to take care of them and are usually on the verge of death by the time you get it home.

These are two highly recommended sources for purchasing carnivorous plants:

www.flytrapstore.com
www.californiacarnivores.com

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Loving the Cephalotus ;)! That one is a little treasure! Mine is a little over 2 years old now. :)

SEB

Arachnosquire
Loving the Cephalotus ;)! That one is a little treasure! Mine is a little over 2 years old now. :)
Thanks! It is one of my favorites. This is my first year growing them and they are growing like weeds! I am going to post some up dated pictures tomorrow.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for this extremely interesting thread and the informational links. I think that there will be a few new carnivorous plant additions to our household!

Last edited: