My Caribena Versicolor died, can anyone help find out what happened?

Flicker543

Arachnopeon
Hello, sadly my Caribena Versicolor has passed away, I've had it about 6 months. The strange thing is that I have no idea what caused it to die. I found it this afternoon in a death curl, with no obvious signs of what could have been the issue. It had been wondering about its enclosure seemingly perfectly happy only a few days ago, and had been eating okay as well, and only seemed to be a bit sluggish this morning. I thought it would be better to just leave it be for a while, but when I came back to check up on it later, it was in the death curl.

The only thing I can see on its body is a little bit of white around the spinerettes, which may be feaces, and it's mouth looks very pale and orangey. I'm pretty sad about what has happened, and hope someone might be able to give a little advice, and maybe help me figure out what went wrong?

I have had tarantulas for years, and I keep similar species like Avicularia Purpurea, which is still alive and doing well.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hello, sadly my Caribena Versicolor has passed away, I've had it about 6 months. The strange thing is that I have no idea what caused it to die. I found it this afternoon in a death curl, with no obvious signs of what could have been the issue. It had been wondering about its enclosure seemingly perfectly happy only a few days ago, and had been eating okay as well, and only seemed to be a bit sluggish this morning. I thought it would be better to just leave it be for a while, but when I came back to check up on it later, it was in the death curl.

The only thing I can see on its body is a little bit of white around the spinerettes, which may be feaces, and it's mouth looks very pale and orangey. I'm pretty sad about what has happened, and hope someone might be able to give a little advice, and maybe help me figure out what went wrong?

I have had tarantulas for years, and I keep similar species like Avicularia Purpurea, which is still alive and doing well.

Thanks for any help.
Sorry for your loss.
To give any advice/conclusions on why it died we'll need more information, such as: last time it ate, when did it molt last, pictures of the enclosure, etc

cold blood

Staff member
First off, to be clear, that's an A. avic, not a versicolor...but that doesn't really matter now as theyre kept identically.

To get any idea of why, we really need pics of the whole enclosure and explanations of how it was being kept...without that, one couldn't even venture a wild guess.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Firstly, sorry for your loss.

Secondly, that's A. avicularia, not C. versicolor.

Thirdly, we'd need see pics of the full enclosure, and we'd also need details on how it was kept (were you misting it/using heating/etc.) to even hazard a guess.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I'm sorry for your loss, OP.

Not to sound like an ass but if you didn't even know what species you were keeping, I have concerns for your husbandry practices.

(Like Cold Blood said though, both species are kept identically. But, it's still.....worrying.)

Thefiddlinkeeper

Arachnopeon
If you would like further advice please post pics of the enclosure set up with other info on feeding and molting

Flicker543

Arachnopeon
Sorry for your loss.
To give any advice/conclusions on why it died we'll need more information, such as: last time it ate, when did it molt last, pictures of the enclosure, etc
Thank you, the last he ate was at the start of the week, about Monday/tuesday. I haven't seen him moult yet, I only had him 6 months or so. I will post a pic of his enclosure as well.

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Thank you, the last he ate was at the start of the week, about Monday/tuesday. I haven't seen him moult yet, I only had him 6 months or so. I will post a pic of his enclosure as well.
What was the top of the enclosure made out of? Can you post a picture of that as well?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
where Is the ventilation? Is there any along any of the sides of the enclosure?

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
Avicularias are known for suddenly croaking, and is caused from poor ventilation, which kinda looks like what could be your problem.