My C. versicolor died :(

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hi guys, long time no see... sorry.

I just made an awful discovery. Mrs Blue Berry, my C. versicolor, died. I found her half-hanging from her web, no death curl, I probably wouldn't have realised it if it wasn't for the slightly unusual pose. :sad:
When I took her out I saw that she had most possibly ruptured her pedicel but how or why I have absolutely no idea. :(
She had been in her Exo terra nano for over 2 years, she had moulted in there twice and even made a phantom egg sac. She was always visible on her web at the front door or directly on the front door, only last week she went inside her web castle and I thought she would moult (it was high time), next thing I know she was hanging there, abdomen on the web, front legs and carapace hanging down from it, dead.

I have to admit I'm quite upset. She is the first spider that died with me that wasn't a MM. :sad:

If anyone has an idea why this has happened, please tell me.

20211127_182057.jpg 20211127_175447.jpg

Happier times...

20210731_110448.jpg

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
My sincere condolences for your loss! These lil critters leave big marks on our hearts. I know you're a responsible keeper with good habits, and I seriously doubt the death was a result of something you did. Sometimes we don't get all the answers, try not to second guess yourself too much!

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
So sorry, @Thekla, that's so sad.

It's possible she tried to moult but something went wrong before her carapace popped. The setup looks great to me.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Thanks, guys. I guess I can only hope it wasn't my fault somehow and it was just a freak occurrence. Nonetheless, this was a really upsetting experience. :(
And today, I had another death in my collection but I anticipated it since my first T. albopilosus matured 2 1/4 years ago and he was already really weak. After the death of my A. merianae at the beginning of October (he matured in April 2019) I had now 3 deaths in 2 months. At least, I have tons of tiny froglets hopping around to keep my spirits up. ;)

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I'm sorry for your loss. Mine passed away recently as well for absolutely no reason that I can tell. I think it was a failed molt. I'm heartbroken with you. :sad:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Thekla and @Kitara so sorry for both of your Caribena versicolor losses 🥺

kitara yours seemed like a freak accident and failed molt, and thekla I don’t see anything hunsbandry that could have lead to this. Sometimes animals just don’t make it, and we know so very little about Theraphosidae pathology. I know it will be a very sad day when my runt C. versicolor who if it makes it one more month without molting out it will have been a blue berry for 2 whole years!! Attached to say the least.