My C. paganus wont eat

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So far as i know this species is pretty voracious, but try as i might she wont eat, just sits in her burrow all curled up by day then goes walkabout at like 2 a.m. for a while and back to the burrow. She has been doing this for the better part of a month, she drinks alot but no eating. I know premolt may be an answer but can this last a month or more? Also i saw some people slagging this species is it not an appreciated species in the hobby? if so why? I guess all that really matters is that i like her but anywho still good to know what others think.
ORION

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well my first question would be, how old and how big is she?
The older and larger T's premolt for longer times. I've had a A. schmidti fast for months, not molt, and start eating again.
My Chaco's been off feed for about a month now, but she's fat as can be. Not to down play it, but she's more than likely fine.

Ernie

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Pretty much the same thing happened to me with my P. Irminia and I was pretty worried. She stopped eating for about 3 weeks and a couple days and then she molted. I wouldnt worry too much if she is coming out that is a good sign. Mine wouldnt even leave her web at all.

TheDon

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pics :)

here is a pic of her doing what she does best which is to get furiously "hissing" annoyed when one looks at her funny, she is approx 4" l.s. and i believe was w.c. so age is undetermined she is awfully leggy so she may be a he not too sure myself

Attachments

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Abdomen looks nice and fat, and she seems otherwise healthy if she's rearing up like that. I'd suspect pre-molt and leave her be for the time being. I have an H. lividum that blocked up its burrow entrance in preperation for molt, and the entrance remained blocked for over two months, so pre-molt, molt and recovery can take a significant amount of time sometimes.

Adrian

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i was also going to say that, at least the abdomen looks pretty good!!

i wouldn't worry and just maybe add a slight amount of humidity and maybe raise the temp if youthink pre-molt time...

although everyone treats pre-molt differently.

either way, good luck!
peace
dave

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
right on well i wont worry so much then, on another note the hissing was really cool and very creepy, almost guttural if one can so call it. So why do people not really like this species? is it because they are too abundant or what? Abundance has not quashed my affection for the B. albopillosum, or the A. avic, they are still just as cool.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The abdomen does look healthy. My A. moderatum has not eaten since February and still looks very fat and healthy. I would not worry too much.

Andy