My C. cyaneopubescens sling is missing.

Actaeon21

Arachnopeon
So I got a C. cyaneopubescens a couple weeks ago and a week after getting it I went out of town and when I returned the food I had left in there for it was still there. Anyway, I then dumped the substrate out and gently searched it and NADA. So now I’m wondering if the abscess my daughter got on her leg was from the sling? (She’s okay, and had to get antibiotics due to it being infected.) I got back the 20th, she woke up with the abscess on the 22nd. What are my chances of finding it? Or it still being alive and the cause of her abscess?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The feeder ate your sling. And no the abcess isn’t from the sling. Or it escaped through a hole too big. Size of sling is needed and pic of enclosure will help determine way happened.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
most likely sling is either dead from feeder or escaped and is hiding somewhere. Highly unlikely it bit your daughter

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Spiders can squeeze through a hole the size of their carapace, if your holes are the right size and you've sifted through all the substrate then it's pretty obvious that the cricket ate your spider.

Here's the bite reports, I doubt the abscess has anything to do with the spider.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
That would be a very, very, very unusual coincidence. Of course, a spider bite can be the cause of an abscess, but people who experience this usually understand the cause. You should even feel the bite of a small GBB sling or be able to identify it as the starting point of the infection. I think the countless other possible causes in the area are more likely.

Actaeon21

Arachnopeon
The feeder ate your sling. And no the abcess isn’t from the sling. Or it escaped through a hole too big. Size of sling is needed and pic of enclosure will help determine way happened.
The feeder was actually dead. I made sure I killed it when I put him in there to have the sling come scavenge for it.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So I got a C. cyaneopubescens a couple weeks ago and a week after getting it I went out of town and when I returned the food I had left in there for it was still there. Anyway, I then dumped the substrate out and gently searched it and NADA. So now I’m wondering if the abscess my daughter got on her leg was from the sling? (She’s okay, and had to get antibiotics due to it being infected.) I got back the 20th, she woke up with the abscess on the 22nd. What are my chances of finding it? Or it still being alive and the cause of her abscess?
Poonjab answered your question please provide photo of sling and enclosure with a focus on vent holes.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
If the spiderling did escape through the vent holes, keep an eye out in dark corners and under things. Shake out dirty clothes before you wash them. Check your shoes. It's been long enough that the odds are lower than if you'd started searching immediately, but it's not impossible.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +

GBB is my only sling ever to escape. I found mine on the ceiling. Good luck.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
GBB is my only sling ever to escape. I found mine on the ceiling. Good luck.
Same when mine pulled a Shawshank Redemption escape. It was in a room with beamed ceiling and how a sling managed to traverse over three beams when I saw it is beyond me. To this day it hangs out closer to the top of the enclosure looking like it’s ready for the next big adventure.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
There are a million things more likely to cause an abscess than a spider bite. Like an ingrown hair. Your body will attack the ingrown hair as a foreign body and you can get abscess. Splinters can also cause an abscess for the same reason. Cutting yourself shaving can cause an abscess. Basically any kind of cut/scratch where bacteria can get in can cause an abscess.

If your daughter didn’t physically see the spider bite her, in most likelihood it didn’t. Spiders don’t run around trying to bite people. It probably is hiding somewhere far away from people.

Actaeon21

Arachnopeon
There are a million things more likely to cause an abscess than a spider bite. Like an ingrown hair. Your body will attack the ingrown hair as a foreign body and you can get abscess. Splinters can also cause an abscess for the same reason. Cutting yourself shaving can cause an abscess. Basically any kind of cut/scratch where bacteria can get in can cause an abscess.

If your daughter didn’t physically see the spider bite her, in most likelihood it didn’t. Spiders don’t run around trying to bite people. It probably is hiding somewhere far away from people.
That’s what I was hoping to hear. But as a mother, it’s my paranoid mind getting the best of me.

Actaeon21

Arachnopeon
I have came to the conclusion it is gone forever. :/ oh well.
I also have 3cats and a dog... They could of gotten to it as well since they get to any cricket that happens to get loose...

Marlana

Arachnoknight
That’s what I was hoping to hear. But as a mother, it’s my paranoid mind getting the best of me.
Totally understand, I’m a mother myself. I have completely irrational fears since having kids. It’s crazy how kids change you 😅❤