My Brazilian White Knee

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Hey there guys :)

I just received my white knee spiderling (about 1 inch long) a few days back. :) Looking really good. I used coco fibre as substrate and misted it twice and am housing it in a deli container.

Also I added a small pottery which I cut into 2 and used one half as a hiding place it, however I'm noticing that my spiderling is burrowing instead of using the hiding place. At first it did use the hiding place but after 2 days it started to burrow and using its mouth to move the coco fibre.

I placed 1 inch of substrate and he has already burrowed until he reach the deli container's base.

Is it normal for it to do that? Or should I add more substrate in?

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
most small slings will burrow because it makes them feel safe....their just tiny things and are trying their best to keep out of the line of sight of predators.

i have 12 slings right now that range from 1/4" to about 5/8" in length...i house them in 2oz solo soufle cups and all but 2(which are the biggest of the 12) have burrowed into their substrate.

you can give it some more substrate if you like though i never have.

i have a 6-7" female white knee(A. Geniculata) and she never hides and eats like theres no tomorrow. so once yours gains some size it should no longer feel the need to burrow and will sit out in the open

Last edited:

plankationship

Arachnopeon
I see, so its normal and I don't have to worry about giving it more substrate?

If so my mind is put at ease :) Thank you for replying!

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
completely normal and no you dont have to give it more substrate unless you want to.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As it was already stated, it's perfectly normal for slings to burrow instead of use a hide.

Here is my N. chromatus when he was a baby :)

He eventually outgrew that when he got bigger :)

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Hey guys just a few quick questions.

My spiderling measures about 3 cm now :)

When should I be using a water bowl and how often should I feed it? I'm only feeding it twice a week (each time 1 pinhead cricket) but have been hearing owners feeding their White Knee slings up to 3 times a week (2 pin head each time).

I have been misting it twice a week as well. Also may I ask after how long should I change my substrate?

I hope I'm not under feeding my white knee.

Thank you for all replies

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey guys just a few quick questions.

My spiderling measures about 3 cm now :)

When should I be using a water bowl and how often should I feed it? I'm only feeding it twice a week (each time 1 pinhead cricket) but have been hearing owners feeding their White Knee slings up to 3 times a week (2 pin head each time).

I have been misting it twice a week as well. Also may I ask after how long should I change my substrate?

I hope I'm not under feeding my white knee.

Thank you for all replies
You can mist the container until the spiderling is big enough to drink from a bottle-cap of some sort. You can feed him until he's fat, or until he refuses food. I would stick with giving him one meal (one prey item) at a time, and you can feed him prey that is as large as his abdomen or smaller. But once he is no longer hungry, you may have to remove the unwanted prey item, if he doesn't take it within an hour or so.

As far as keeping conditions, based on native habitat currently, I would suggest keeping him on the moist side. Currently where they are from it is ranging from 60% humidity during the day to 90% humidity at night. The temps are also ranging from 75 to 95F. If you can keep him warm (mid-70s to mid-80s, preferably in the mid-80s) that would, in my opinion, boost his growth rate and make him hungry more often.

plankationship

Arachnopeon
Alright thank you very much for your help :)

I would like to know how often should I change the substrate?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You shouldn't have to change the substrate at all, unless you get a mold or mite outbreak.