My Brachypelma albopilosum has not eaten in almost 3 weeks should I be worried ?

thatguybrussels

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I'm new to the forum I have a Brachypelma albopilosum. Relatively small at the moment. I think she/he as changed skins twice since I got it. However 3 weeks ago I moved her from her small little plastic ontainer and put her on a bigger terrarium with some substrate I had gotten from the arachno store. The terrarium has a small wood trunk, also bought from the same store, that she uses it as a house, but now it has been like 3 weeks since the moved since she went inside the trunk and covered the entrance with some of the substrate. I checked a week ago to see if she was still ok, and she was still ok, but, she hasn't eaten since then and now the trunk's entrance is again covered with substrate and I don't know if I should check again or just let it be so as not to stress her.

Thanks for the help

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Please post pictures of the entire new enclosure. It may be in premolt or the enclosure may be too big/open and it is hiding and or both. Either way it is sealing itself off and you need to stop opening it up to check on it or could be minting next time you do, no good. . 3 weeks without food is not a problem.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Leave the spider be. 3 weeks is nothing. Even 3 months is nothing. An adult T can sometimes go a year or more without eating, with no ill effects. Every time you disturb it, you risk stressing it out or interrupting a molt-in-progress.

I always tell people, T keeping is a patience game. Ts live at a completely different pace than we do. Relax, and let the spider be a spider -- it knows how to do it better than we ever could.

Also, please use the search at the top of this board for some basic husbandry info -- if you search on "fasting" you will see TONS of information on when to be concerned that your spider isn't eating.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just make sure its got a full water dish of clean water and leave it be it could be in premolt like others have saiddont leave ant live feeders in with it if you try feeding it use prekilled and remove the next day if uneaten

cold blood

Staff member
Lol, my typical feeding schedule is every 3 weeks.......no one should ever worry about 3 weeks or even 3 months without food....Not eating for long periods is just part of being a tarantula.

spiderman2843

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I'm new to the forum I have a Brachypelma albopilosum. Relatively small at the moment. I think she/he as changed skins twice since I got it. However 3 weeks ago I moved her from her small little plastic ontainer and put her on a bigger terrarium with some substrate I had gotten from the arachno store. The terrarium has a small wood trunk, also bought from the same store, that she uses it as a house, but now it has been like 3 weeks since the moved since she went inside the trunk and covered the entrance with some of the substrate. I checked a week ago to see if she was still ok, and she was still ok, but, she hasn't eaten since then and now the trunk's entrance is again covered with substrate and I don't know if I should check again or just let it be so as not to stress her.

Thanks for the help
i would check for bald spots it may be in pre molt but i am not an expert

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Welcome to the wonderful world of keeping any T in the Brachypelma genus. Or really, any tarantula.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the wonderful world of keeping any T in the Brachypelma genus. Or really, any tarantula.
Yep. Though remember they’re actually not brachys anymore! OP, note the correct name for this species is now Tlitocatl albopilosus.

also I think Grammys are worse when it comes to the fasting.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Yep. Though remember they’re actually not brachys anymore! OP, note the correct name for this species is now Tlitocatl albopilosus.

also I think Grammys are worse when it comes to the fasting.
Yes it is. I didn’t really pay much attention I just saw Brachypelma and fasting, but I have 3 Tliltocatl albopilosus. Grammys are notorious for it.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll be fine. It'll eat when it wants to. Unless there is something wrong with its digestive system (ie sucking stomach), it will not refuse food for long. Wait a week, maybe even 2 weeks, then try again. Make sure, however, that it has a full water bowl at all times. How large is the spider ?